Squirrel !!!!
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> Small Game Hunting

#16: Re: Squirrel !!!! Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:26 am
    ----
Crackshot wrote:
And for the best we LOVE a bunch of Morning Dove breasts wrapped in bacon and fried with green onion. Very Happy

I'm droolin big time Very Happy
Joe

#17: Re: Squirrel !!!! Author: CrackshotLocation: Mich PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:52 pm
    ----
read below.

Last edited by Crackshot on Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

#18: Re: Squirrel !!!! Author: CrackshotLocation: Mich PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:54 pm
    ----
shrpshtrjoe wrote:
Crackshot wrote:
And for the best we LOVE a bunch of Morning Dove breasts wrapped in bacon and fried with green onion. Very Happy

I'm droolin big time Very Happy
Joe

Me too! To bad we lost our morning dove hunting in Michigan. But I have a friend in Ohio who shoots some for me. Very Happy

#19: Re: Squirrel !!!! Author: MeatLocation: Fort Wayne, IN PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:52 pm
    ----
Got to say squirrel taste like nothing else. If you cook it right it wont be tough as some game. usually we will soak the meat for a day in a brine and then stew it or slow cook it in the oven until tender and ready to fall of the bones and then we will place it over the pit and cover it with some BBQ and brown it up a bit. My experience is that you cook it like rabbit, cook it slow for at least a couple of hours to really tenderize it.

#20: Re: Squirrel !!!! Author: hunterjoe21Location: Miles City, Montana PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:04 pm
    ----
Cook a tree rat(or 4) in a slow cooker with plenty of liquid (white wine works, but my favorite is beer) and some veggies and enjoy!

Do yourself a favor and leave the rib meat out though, unless you like pickin' little bones outta yer food.....

#21: Re: Squirrel !!!! Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:15 pm
    ----
Damn....readin' this has got me drooling and starving. Gonna have to get me some underground mutton (rabbit) real soon.

Cheers, Vince

#22: Re: Squirrel !!!! Author: OntheLasGallinasLocation: South Texas PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:11 am
    ----
hunterjoe21,

That sounds like you're just wasting good beer!!!!!! Mad

Cary

#23: Re: Squirrel !!!! Author: hunterjoe21Location: Miles City, Montana PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:59 pm
    ----
OntheLasGallinas wrote:
hunterjoe21,

That sounds like you're just wasting good beer!!!!!! Mad

Cary

Cary,

I actually like eating squirrel, but no one else around here likes it, so I pretty much stopped hunting them. In this part of the state, we only have Fox squirrels. I grew up hunting and eating Gray's, which are smaller and more tender, and I seem to remember them tasting better. Also, the Grays are actually easier to hunt, they are more social than Fox, so you can often kill more than one from the same spot. With Fox squirrels, you need to move more often to find them, and movement in the squirrel world is the same as the deer woods...

#24: Re: Squirrel !!!! Author: CrackshotLocation: Mich PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:18 am
    ----
In my experieance, Fox squirrel are easy to hunt with a squirrel call. The trick is to wait for a fox squirrel to bark and mimic his bark. Keep this up and pretty soon he's Mad and looking for the S.O.B bugging him and you can pick him off.

#25: Re: Squirrel !!!! Author: OntheLasGallinasLocation: South Texas PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:13 am
    ----
hunterjoe21,

Just teasing, nothing wrong with squirrel. Not every kind of wild game tastes like chicken.

I personally like road runner. They taste a little like owl. ROFL ROFL

Cary

#26: Re: Squirrel !!!! Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:22 pm
    ----
Cut it out, Cary...Yer makin' me hungry...

#27: Re: Squirrel !!!! Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:47 am
    ----
Road Runner?? OWL ???? wtf Confused

Would never have even remotely considered either of those buggers as bein' table fare.

Cheers, Vince

#28: Re: Squirrel !!!! Author: CrackshotLocation: Mich PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:54 am
    ----
My great GrandFather used to eat Porcupine.... wtf

#29: Re: Squirrel !!!! Author: OntheLasGallinasLocation: South Texas PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:57 am
    ----
Vince,

Just joking.

Cary

#30: Re: Squirrel !!!! Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:03 am
    ----
I've heard that the Texans eat the hoof too. How's that Cary? Boiled or steamed? Very Happy

-> Small Game Hunting