Edible Critters in Oz
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> Varmint Hunting

#1: Edible Critters in Oz Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:15 am
    ----
Well Cary....as far as our native animals go there are a few that can be eaten.

Kangaroos and wallabies of course are a good chew.
Emu is nice, especially minced and made into a pie. (Funny how both of those critters are on our Coat of Arms).
The possums found in the southern states are supposed to worth eating, although I have never tried them myself.
Any snake is worth chompin', as is goanna (a large monitor lizard). Crocodile is magnificent to eat.
We have quite a few native ducks that are pretty tasty.
There are little native bees that make beautiful honey...the aborigines call it sugerbag. Best thing is these bees don't sting.
There are also many different native fresh water fish and eels that go well on the plate.
I don't consider them edible fare, but some say that crow can be eaten as well.

Now, feral critters...
First on the list is any of the deer species (fallow, sika, red, chital) that have been introduced to Oz, then rabbits, hares, Asian water buffalo, camel, horse.

No doubt I will think of others....usually at about 3am Mad

Cheers, Vince

#2: Re: Edible Critters in Oz Author: FALPhilLocation: Dixie PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:35 pm
    ----

#3: Re: Edible Critters in Oz Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:00 pm
    ----
No FALPhil...no wombat stew mate. It would be easier to eat a 50lb block of granite than to eat a wombat. They are rock solid and as tough as old boots.

Cheers, Vince

#4: Re: Edible Critters in Oz Author: OntheLasGallinasLocation: South Texas PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:22 pm
    ----
In South Texas

Jack Rabbits
Cotton Tail Rabbits
Several kinds of Ducks
Brant Geese
San Hill Cranes
Turkey
The kinds of Doves
Two kinds of Quail
Javilina
White Tail Deer
Wild Hogs

We also have transplanted wild sheep, emu, different kinds of deer and African antelope.

You can also eat
Raccoons
Possums
Squirrel
Rattle snake
armadillo

#5: Re: Edible Critters in Oz Author: TRBLSHTRLocation: Lower 48's-left coast(near portlandia) PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:33 pm
    ----
Hi Cary-I once heard stated that those "armored rats" have been linked to leprosy.Have you ever heard of that before? Confused

#6: Re: Edible Critters in Oz Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:19 pm
    ----
They are able to get it easily because of their low body temperature and as such are used for research into the disease.

Personally wombat may be tough, but I am thinking a little salt and Tabasco will make it edible more or less. Shocked

Dimitri

#7: Re: Edible Critters in Oz Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:37 pm
    ----
I'll have the rock over wombat any day.

Cheers, Vince

#8: Re: Edible Critters in Oz Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:47 pm
    ----
Vince,

Salt and Tabasco is my answer for any "inedible" food. Like the saying "When in Rome" I'll eat the menu of the day where I am even if I need to "add" to it. ROFL

Dimitri

#9: Re: Edible Critters in Oz Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:50 pm
    ----
I'll still take that rock mate...with a little salt and Sambal Oelek.

Cheers, Vince

#10: Re: Edible Critters in Oz Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:52 pm
    ----
Just looked up Sambal Oelek sounds good!

Dimitri

#11: Re: Edible Critters in Oz Author: whittlingLocation: Texas (home state is Mass) PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:02 am
    ----
I think you ought to try a bit of my wilderness stew :
Ingredients : MAple leaves squirrel meat , plantian ...

#12: Re: Edible Critters in Oz Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:13 pm
    ----
Maple leaves??? I used to smoke them...That and corn silk...

#13: Re: Edible Critters in Oz Author: whittlingLocation: Texas (home state is Mass) PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:10 pm
    ----
Ya- don't ask what else I eat

#14: Re: Edible Critters in Oz Author: OntheLasGallinasLocation: South Texas PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:24 pm
    ----
Don't ask don't tell! ROFL Sorry, you left yourself open for that one.

Cary

#15: Re: Edible Critters in Oz Author: OntheLasGallinasLocation: South Texas PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:27 pm
    ----
Bushy,

Down here it's rabbit tobacco and grape vines.

Cary

-> Varmint Hunting