Buiilding a new computer!
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> Spam-O-Rama

#1: Buiilding a new computer! Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:00 am
    ----
So guys, I got off my butt and decided to build a new computer. Purchased a copy of Windows XP Pro 64-bit Edition. No Vista for me! Cool Very Happy Cool

The motherboard and XP are still on order though (ie they need to mail it to me) everything else I have at hand already.

The Technical specs:

AMD Phemon X3 8650 64-bit (Tri-Core) Processor.
Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H Micro-ATX Board.
Integrated ATI Radeon™ HD 3200 Graphics.
Corsair 4GB DDR2 800 RAM. (2 x 2GB sticks, leaving 2 slots free for more RAM)
SeaGate 250GB SATA2 HDD.
LG Dual Layer DVD-/+RW optical drive.

The non-tech specs:

Thermaltake Lanbox Black with Windows.
OCZ 600W StealthXStream Power Supply Unit.

All in all I think its going to be a decent system. What do you think ?? Confused

Dimitri

#2: Re: Buiilding a new computer! Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:06 am
    ----
It's all Canad...Aah...Greek to me.... Very Happy

#3: Re: Buiilding a new computer! Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:23 pm
    ----
Bushmaster, do you mean Greek or Geek? Wink

D, sounds good to me! Do you do much computer gaming?

#4: Re: Buiilding a new computer! Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:29 pm
    ----
Not really I don't do much gaming and the gaming I do is with older games for the most part, if I want to play a game I play on my PS2 or my brothers Xbox 360.

Actually going to save up for CAD and CAM software (will cut into my fun money and my outdoor money but still), and want to use this computer for that. Smile

Dimitri

#5: Re: Buiilding a new computer! Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:44 pm
    ----
D, learning CAD is an excellent idea! I've been looking at taking some classes in it myself. The cost of the software is a bit prohibitive unless you are using it alot for work. I mean, I could buy a decent rifle or more for that much $$$!

#6: Re: Buiilding a new computer! Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:46 pm
    ----
Could buy a couple decent rifles for the cost of a CAD program! Shocked

I learned CAD/CAM in college and want to mess around with it abit. Smile

Dimitri

#7: Re: Buiilding a new computer! Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:01 pm
    ----
Geez! I just checked the price for AutoCAD! $4,000 per copy?!?!?

Dad used AutoCAD for years in his architectural business and we used it in the R&D shops that I worked in.

#8: Re: Buiilding a new computer! Author: ElyBoyLocation: Forest Lake Minnesota PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:55 pm
    ----
Hey Bushy,

Lets you and I start a post where English is spoken.
This language is too hard for me to understand. wtf wtf wtf

Eric

#9: Re: Buiilding a new computer! Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:15 pm
    ----
Mike,

I'm going to be saving for Autodesk Inventor. Thats a 5,300$ program. Shocked

Dimitri

#10: Re: Buiilding a new computer! Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:27 pm
    ----
D, sorry, I'd just have to pass and buy the guns! Wink

#11: Re: Buiilding a new computer! Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:17 pm
    ----
Sounds like a pretty good system 'Mitri.

Why AMD instead of Intel mate? Only 260GB HDD....given that you are talking about going into CAD and CAM I would have thought that you would want a minimum of 1 TB HDD. The price between a 1 TB and the smaller GB HDD is very little here in Australia. At least you have gone for the Seagate HDD, I think they are the pick of the bunch on the market today.

I have a 160 GB WD Little Black Book external HDD which I use for backup. It is good to ghost the internal HDD onto....I ain't gonna loose data like I did once before. Food for thought there mate.

Cheers, Vince

#12: Re: Buiilding a new computer! Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:15 am
    ----
Vince,

I'm a AMD kind of guy, don't ask why but I always refer and suggest people to go get AMD CPU's instead of Intels. Laughing

Although CAD/CAM save files can be large, especially when you do many of them. I do not want to keep them on a hard drive thats running all the time the computer is running.

The more the HDD runs the quicker it will die. So I bought a BlacX SATA Hard drive dock for data storage, to back up the files from the primary drive and delete them once copied over. Should be able to keep the "storage" drives going for a long long time this way.

Dimitri

#13: Re: Buiilding a new computer! Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:20 am
    ----
By the way a SeaGate 1TB drive is about 190$ or more, the HDD I bought was 50$ Laughing

All said and done, the computer cost me about 1000$ including taxes and the shipping I paid. As compared to the 2,500$ I spent on the last computer 5 years ago. Shocked

Dimitri

#14: Re: Buiilding a new computer! Author: atroxLocation: Tucson, AZ PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:18 pm
    ----
Well i was about to say that you may want to look into a drop in GPU but i looked at the specs of that board and it seems pretty decent, especially for a micro. Im getting ready to build a comp myself. i will post up the specs later.

#15: Re: Buiilding a new computer! Author: atroxLocation: Tucson, AZ PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:35 pm
    ----
MSI K9N SLI-F nForce 570LT ATX MOBO
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ 2.7GHz
XFX PVT84JZAFG GeForce 8600GT 1GB 128-bit GPU
Patriot Extreme Performance 2GB RAM
Raidmax Smilodon Extreme Black Mid tower case
Western Digital 320GB HD
Rosewill Stallion Series 600W PSU

Stuff i have already:
DVD/CD drive
Razer Tarantula keyboard
Razer Diamondback mouse