Spring Bear huntin
-> Big Game Hunting

#1: Spring Bear huntin Author: GrantLocation: Grande Prairie, Alberta PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:25 am
    ----
Sunday was my first verture out for spring black bear. I took my old 1899 vintage 303 British Enfield Martini single shot as my weapon of choice. Never actually hunted with it before, so I thought it was time.

We headed out west of my home town as there seems to be a better number of coloured phased black bears out that way. We did the usual, glassing the south facing clear cuts for bears feeding on the fresh green stuff of spring. We saw a total of 7 black bears, only one did we go after. He was a nice 5 1/2 foot brown phase bear with a blond back...he was gorgeous. So off we went, tried to do a stalk up a draw so he wouldn't hear or smell us...but, next thing we know...he's looking at us over the crest of the ridge and he's gone!!! We did see a couple more bears after that, but we were not going to settle for anything less then that brown/blond bear. Oh well, maybe next weekend.

#2: Re: Spring Bear huntin Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:30 am
    ----
Good pics! Thanks for sharing and good luck hunting!

#3: Re: Spring Bear huntin Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:13 pm
    ----
Nice pictures, now I must admit, you need to show off that rifle. Very Happy

Dimitri

#4: Re: Spring Bear huntin Author: GrantLocation: Grande Prairie, Alberta PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:56 pm
    ----
I have to admit Dimitri that I was hoping to show it off in a picture with a nice 6 ft+ coloured phase black bear...hehehe

I will take a pic of it and post it though, it a cool old rifle. I also have the 45 cal black powder cartridge model as well.

#5: Re: Spring Bear huntin Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:24 pm
    ----
GRANT!!! Where you been? Where ever. Welcome back...

#6: Re: Spring Bear huntin Author: GrantLocation: Grande Prairie, Alberta PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:46 am
    ----
Hiya Bushy!

I've been a very busy man this spring as you can see.

#7: Re: Spring Bear huntin Author: Arizona Hunter PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:21 am
    ----
I like hunting black bears, but the last few years i did not even buy a tag-it's so darn hot in AZ at the end of August and start of Sept.

Maybe I need to get up to BC, I here you have lots of blackies.

#8: Re: Spring Bear huntin Author: GrantLocation: Grande Prairie, Alberta PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:34 pm
    ----
Yep...we do have some nice bears...this was a small coloured bear I let walk away this spring...too small...but a pretty bear none the less, and so close i could almost pet him.... Laughing

#9: Re: Spring Bear huntin Author: BopeyeLocation: East Tennessee PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:23 pm
    ----
Beautiful bear!!

Looks like I will be headed to Fairbanks Alaska May 23rd to try my hand at bear hunting for a couple weeks. I'm looking forward to it.

Never been to Alaska. Very Happy

#10: Re: Spring Bear huntin Author: whittlingLocation: Texas (home state is Mass) PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:24 am
    ----
I want to go bear but at 15 you need to find someone to go as well

#11: Re: Spring Bear huntin Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:36 am
    ----
You want to go WHAT? Bear? Or did you misspell it and mean "bare"?

This is a hunting forum. Not a nudist camp... Very Happy

#12: Re: Spring Bear huntin Author: trackerLocation: Manitoba, Canada PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:00 am
    ----
Bushmaster wrote:
You want to go WHAT? Bear? Or did you misspell it and mean "bare"?

This is a hunting forum. Not a nudist camp... Very Happy

Well, um, yeah ok..what Bushy said (you guys can't see me hehehehehh Evil Devil )

#13: Re: Spring Bear huntin Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:09 am
    ----
Where's THE LADY? Tracker...Don't come on here without her again... Razz

-> Big Game Hunting