Grading surplus arms
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#1: Grading surplus arms Author: Joe BoleoLocation: Pennsylvania PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 7:40 am
    ----
This is a topic that often amazes me. I called a gun shop to ask about surplus rifles and they had gotten in a few. I asked about the condition and was told all were "about 80 percent guns." I went to the shop and saw the rifles and was disappointed. At best, they were NRA good and showed signs of serious rusting and were really dinged up. The rifles are still sitting on the used gun racks. Not sure what they meant by 80 percent guns.

It would be helpful if folks used the NRA grading system for firearms. The NRA has established standards they we can understand and agree mean certain things. I have attached a link that might be helpful. Take care...
Joe

armchairgunshow.com/Co...A-Guns.htm

#2: Re: Grading surplus arms Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 9:19 am
    ----
Good link! Thanks!

#3: Re: Grading surplus arms Author: Gil MartinLocation: Schnecksville, PA PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 12:08 pm
    ----
Joe,
You raise a valid point. I get confused when vague terms are used to describe the condition of surplus arms. Thanks for sharing. All the best...
Gil

#4: Re: Grading surplus arms Author: ElyBoyLocation: Forest Lake Minnesota PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 2:27 pm
    ----
Good post Joe.

When I was young, my Dad took me to school on this, by showing me different firearms, in different conditions, and then having me grade them by NRA Standards.
Dad would really get pissed off when people came up with their own standards and not the NRA's.
He would have really ripped into your gun shop guy about this, and Dad was pretty easy going.

Eric

#5: Re: Grading surplus arms Author: English MikeLocation: Whitehaven, Cumbria, UK PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:49 am
    ----
There is of course the alternative grading system used by some sellers. Very Happy

Guide to Definitions and Translations Relating to Firearms....

Mint Condition: Original condition from the Manufacturer, with all markings present

Minty Condition: As above, with the exception of some deep pitting.

Action Needs Tuning: Missing major parts or worn beyond recognition, will never function correctly.

A Little Rough: Vaguely resembles a firearm.

Good For It's Age: NRA poor to terrible.

$350 Value for $250: Now only twice what it's worth.

Very Old: Assembled in the Orient before 1980.

Much Original Finish:In the deeper crevices.

Some Original Finish: Under the grips.

Shows Honest Wear: Used as a gardening tool by someone.

Very Good Bore: Traces of rifling among the pits.

Good Bore: Pits form a spiral.

Fair Bore: You can see light through it.

Poor Bore: You can't see light through it.

Needs A Little TLC: Beyond hope.

Tight: Acraglas is an amazing compound ain't it?

Hairline Crack: Should be just Airline crack, you can see a jet through it.

Small Chip Out Of Stock: Enough wood missing to be classified as a youth stock.

Nice Patina: Generally covered in rust.

Some Wood Repair: All of the wood has been replaced.

Representative Piece: Still resembles a firearm.

Good Shooter: For those who want to commit suicide.

Pre-War: Before World War II, not the Gulf War.

Naval Variation: Came from a San Diego or Norfolk pawn shop.

Finish Worn: All markings obliterated.

Needs Tightening: All parts worn out.

Some Parts Replaced: Some may be original.

Arsenal Refinished: Refinished in someone's basement.

All Numbers Match: They didn't, but they do now.

Reasonable Offers Considered: I'd love to dump this piece of scrap iron onto someone else.

#6: Re: Grading surplus arms Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 12:22 pm
    ----
What about "Great-great grampa carried this in the Civil War: complete with Italian proofmarks"

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions