seating depths
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  :| |:
-> Reloading Ammunition

#31: Re: seating depths Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:41 pm
    ----
DallanC wrote:
Also be aware that heavy recoil rifles such as the magnums can also dislodge a loose bullet in a magazine!

-DallanC

Yep, forgot about that Dallan, thanks mate.

Also, consider the forces acting on a round in a tube magazine as found on Lever guns. The rounds are nose to tail and recoil can seat a bullet deeper in the case.

Cheers, Vince

#32: Re: seating depths Author: Deleted_User_2665 PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:59 am
    ----
Dawgdad wrote:
I do not disagree with what you have to say, just how you say it.

My feelers are hurt now......laffin'.

You've a mouse, with which to change the channel should you find yourself forced to read my posts...

Left click......

#33: Re: seating depths Author: foreignLocation: NEW ZEALAND PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:11 am
    ----
thanks for the spelling lesson dawgdad. yup i know the difference( live with 2 nurses)so what im getting from vince and dallanc clearly is that a boat tailed bullet will be seated deerer that a non bt bullet?but that it doesnt mater and the mag is the confines of this all. though if i dont use the mag and just feed it single rounds then i can seat them all the way out?then my remington 700 .308 might get close to the lands. of topic. how important is seating close to the lands?

#34: Re: seating depths Author: Deleted_User_2665 PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:23 am
    ----
Dawgdad...?

The kid asked you a question......................

#35: Re: seating depths Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:07 am
    ----
Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about getting real close to the lands in this situation. I'm assuming that you are developing hunting loads. I'd seat the bullets so that the cartridges function through the magazine and leave a little room for tweaking the seating depth to try for better accuracy. Then find a good powder charge and run with it.

If you can get a copy of Hodgdon's 2008 Annual Manual there are some good articles on developing loads for big game, varmints, etc. Well worth the read.

-> Reloading Ammunition