opinions wanted
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#1: opinions wanted Author: MoraxLocation: Pittsburgh Pa PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:31 am
    ----
ok peoples.. got a savage 17hmr laminate stock and i am debating on should i put a set of sling mounts on it, and if so should i go ahead and do a double up front for sling AND bipod mount? i am sorta torn on doing it, i mean the rifle dont weigh nothing so carrying it around wouldnt be a problem accually

what would you fellows do with it?

#2: Re: opinions wanted Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:01 pm
    ----
Go for it! The sling is also a shooting aid, not just a carry strap. Remember to get a bipod that swivels so you can use it on uneven surfaces.

#3: Re: opinions wanted Author: KYGunnerLocation: Elizabethtown, KY PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:13 pm
    ----
I wouldn't double it up just yet. My bipod attaches to the stud and then has an attachment point to the sling. Try that first and if you don't like it you can always add a second sling stud. definitely put a set on though. I don't own a gun without a sling mount.

#4: Re: opinions wanted Author: Deleted_User_2665 PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:47 pm
    ----
I'd take your new Harris and your new sling and slam it all on your new Remmy via a single stud.....but that's just me.

#5: Re: opinions wanted Author: MoraxLocation: Pittsburgh Pa PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:25 pm
    ----
well it dont matter... I broke out the jig i used for the last set i put on, and did a check for spacing and I cant do a double stud on the thing! forestock is too short!

yeah the harris bipod i have has the spot for the sling to attach to as well so thats what i am gonna do with it, 80% of the time though i use a walking stick/monopod anyways..

nothing i own dont have its own sling and mounts, just for the fact of walking back out after hours its nice to have hands free!

#6: Re: opinions wanted Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:01 am
    ----
I agree with the rest of the sentiments mate.....definitely fit a sling. As for a bipod...well they are very handy for a stable support when shooting, but they can be a real pain in the back or shoulder when you carry your rifle slung.

If you decide to fit a bipod, I'd give consideration to removing it and having a method of carrying it on your belt or in a pack if you are humping out with your rifle slung.

Just my thoughts and 2c worth mate.

Cheers, Vince

#7: Re: opinions wanted Author: Rick65CatLocation: Alberta Canada PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:06 pm
    ----
My Versa-pod also has the extra hole onthe bottom of the mount to accomodate a sling mount.

#8: Re: opinions wanted Author: MGKellyLocation: G. R. Michigan PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:27 pm
    ----
Vince wrote:
If you decide to fit a bipod, I'd give consideration to removing it and having a method of carrying it on your belt or in a pack if you are humping out with your rifle slung.

Cheers

Thats a great idea Vince, and with the huge variety of pouches on the "Tactical" market today I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find something that would work. I know for a fact that slinging a rifle with bipod attached isn't very comfortable, or you can sling it barrel down but then the bipod can catch on things; if you can remove it for the trek back to camp it's one less thing to mess with.

Yeah Morax, go with the bipod and just use the sling attachment point on the bipod when it's mounted. I have a Rockridge (Harris knock-off) and I do a "Hasty-Sling" (left elbow through the sling, wraps around foearm and bicep to steady rifle), works well with the bipod setup! Cool

M. G.

#9: Re: opinions wanted Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:47 pm
    ----
MGKelly wrote:
Vince wrote:

Cheers

Thats a great idea Vince, and with the huge variety of pouches on the "Tactical" market today I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find something that would work. I know for a fact that slinging a rifle with bipod attached isn't very comfortable, or you can sling it barrel down but then the bipod can catch on things; if you can remove it for the trek back to camp it's one less thing to mess with. M. G.

Thanks mate...(pats self on the back...head swelling). Laughing Laughing

I was going to fit a bipod to my Weatherby Vanguard .243 but decided against it for that very reason....might just revist the idea though...although I don't often sling my rifle for great periods or humps.

Cheers, Vince

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions