Lower gas prices ??????????????
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  :| |:
-> Spam-O-Rama

#61: Re: Lower gas prices ?????????????? Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:28 pm
    ----
Our Govt buses run on CNG here in Brisbane, and I must admit, it doesn't have the unpleasant exhaust smell of any other fuel. Don't know what its like though as far as fuel consumption goes. As far as I am aware they don't do a CNG conversion on cars over here...only LPG.

I know that LPG doesn't have as much "energy" per litre as petrol or diesel does, not sure about CNG though. The buses seem to function quite happily on it. At this point in time LPG it is significantly cheaper than petrol...here. Rumour has it though that if enough people convert to LPG then our Govt will put a tax or Excise on it bringing the price up to that of petrol. My wife's cousin fitted an LPG kit to a Ford Bronco a couple of years back and at that time, doing a minimum of 20,000 kilometres per year it would take between 2 and 3 years for the system to pay for itself. After that it was pure profit.

So as best I can see it all comes down to how far you travel each year, the performance you need from your vehicle and the availability of the CNG/LPG in outliying areas. May not be worth the expense in the long run.

Cheers, Vince

#62: Re: Lower gas prices ?????????????? Author: OntheLasGallinasLocation: South Texas PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:11 am
    ----
Propane has historically been cheaper than most fuels, but you get a noticeable decrease in fuel mileage. Years ago when gasoline prices went up or propane (I think it was Butane then) got cheaper, many farmers converted their gasoline tractors to propane (butane) because was a lot cheaper. With fuel prices getting higher everyday, other fuels will become more attractive, if the government will keep their fingers out of the pot.

#63: Re: Lower gas prices ?????????????? Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:18 pm
    ----
OntheLasGallinas wrote:
Propane has historically been cheaper than most fuels, but you get a noticeable decrease in fuel mileage. Years ago when gasoline prices went up or propane (I think it was Butane then) got cheaper, many farmers converted their gasoline tractors to propane (butane) because was a lot cheaper. With fuel prices getting higher everyday, other fuels will become more attractive, if the government will keep their fingers out of the pot.

I thought that propane/butane and LPG were 2 entirely different gases. Was under the impression that a vehicle wouldn't run on butane...only the BBQ. Laughing

"if the government will keep their fingers out of the pot" lets not kid ourselves Cary....Govt is business these days mate....call me a cynic, but can you in all honestly imagine the Govt passing up an opportunity to tax the populace to boost their coffers.

Cheers, Vince

#64: Re: Lower gas prices ?????????????? Author: HandloaderLocation: Phoenix, Arizona PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:26 pm
    ----
Vince: and that is exactly why we have the 2nd Ammendment, the RKBA.

When America rebelled from England, the tax rate was much lower than it is todayl.

#65: Re: Lower gas prices ?????????????? Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:06 am
    ----
Handloader, yep, I think we went to war with England over a 3% tax... (Oversimplification I know) Was it Lincoln or Jefferson that said a little revolution every now and then is good for a country? IMO a tax revolt is overdue.

#66: Re: Lower gas prices ?????????????? Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:37 am
    ----
What a post this has been !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What started out with a rather dated idea about lowering gas prices has turned into broad range of discussions.

The standard gripe over high fuel prices.
Alternative fuels, my favorite was the "cow juice",
with a Aussy twist of dairy education.
Then their were some old jokes that had to be resolved with someones lawyer..............
followed by science and fossil fuel thoughts.
The space and time travel thing really caught me off gaurd !!!!
and currently war !!

Thanks to all for their thoughts and ideas !!!!!

The one thing I want to know, Has other countries seen the increases the way the U.S. has ????

It wasn't all that long ago we were paying well under $2.00 a gallon !!!!!!

#67: Re: Lower gas prices ?????????????? Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:14 pm
    ----
Canada's prices are about the same when it comes to them going up and down as the US prices, execpt Canada has more taxes on gas so our prices per gallon is higher. But its all the same base costs for both. Smile

Dimitri

#68: Re: Lower gas prices ?????????????? Author: HandloaderLocation: Phoenix, Arizona PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:58 pm
    ----
Pumpkinslinger wrote:
Handloader, yep, I think we went to war with England over a 3% tax... (Oversimplification I know) Was it Lincoln or Jefferson that said a little revolution every now and then is good for a country? IMO a tax revolt is overdue.

US gas tax, federal and state combined, averages over fifty cents per gallon. California pays the highest rate at around sixty four cents. To that tax rate add local and/or county taxes. Sales taxes have soared over the past several decades, too, as greedy government agencies keep pushing for expansion. Sales tax in Glendale, Arizona is 8.5% AND they want an increase.

Fortunately we live in a time when discretionary money is at its highest level in history for the US and most 1st World nations. We can afford to pay them now, but, one little wrinkle and the entire dominoes begin to fall.
Now, we have two Democratic candidates for President that wish to impose a National Health Care plan whose cost will easily outstrip any other extistent program, projected at over $14 billion a month.

The 2nd Ammendment provides that ability of Americans to throw off the yoke of an oppresive force, foreign or domestic. Even the strongest rubber bands have limits to how far they can stretch without breaking.

#69: Re: Lower gas prices ?????????????? Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:48 pm
    ----
Handloader wrote:
US gas tax, federal and state combined, averages over fifty cents per gallon. California pays the highest rate at around sixty four cents. To that tax rate add local and/or county taxes.

Over here in Australia...or down here Down Under Laughing the Govt levies a 38.143 cents per litre ($1.72 per gallon)....THEN we pay a further 10% GST (Goods and Services Tax) on every petrol purchase !!! Going on the prices of petrol today (31/3/2008)....if I was to purchase 4.5 litres (1 gallon) of petrol I would pay at the cash register $5.89, this figure includes 53.55 cents GST. Govt Fuel excise for the 4.5 litres is $1.72....now this is the big rip off over here....we are also paying 10% GST on the calculated Excise of 3.822 cents per litre (17.2 cents per gallon).

So, if my calculations are correct, that gallon of petrol less taxes would cost me approximately $3.63, devoid of taxes. Tax then adds approximately a further 38.3% per a gallon. As I said...the big rip off by the Govt is paying Tax on Excise when you purchase fuel !!

Hope my maths is correct......I'm not real smart at calculating taxes etc.

Cheers, Vince

#70: Re: Lower gas prices ?????????????? Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:53 pm
    ----
Vince wrote:
the Govt levies a 38.143 cents per litre ($1.72 per gallon)....THEN we pay a further 10% GST (Goods and Services Tax) on every petrol purchase !!!

Cheers, Vince

I think this is valid for the Queenslanders only, in NSW I believe we pay at least 10 cents more on levy plus 4 cents more for Roads Improvement scheme that never seems to be done. Mad

Oh well.. until my external combustion engine (burn garbage and such) is ready, I suppose I got to pay whatever the suppliers asked for.

#71: Re: Lower gas prices ?????????????? Author: OntheLasGallinasLocation: South Texas PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:53 pm
    ----
You're right, no matter what; we'll end up paying what they ask for fuel. We'll just adapt to the higher prices. When I was in Viet Nam, I was surprised to find out that the reason that there were so many motorcycles and scooters on the road was fuel cost. I can't remember what the price was; I just know it was expensive by their standards.

Cary

-> Spam-O-Rama