Classic .22 rifles
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#1: Classic .22 rifles Author: Gil MartinLocation: Schnecksville, PA PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:56 pm
    ----
I am a pushover for decent older .22 rifles at a reasonable price. I grew up in a rural area and learned to shoot a vintage Springfield Model 94C bolt action that my Dad bought for $5. My twin brother now has that rifle. A few years ago I was in a gun shop when a fellow brought in a pile of guns from his grandmother's house. Seems they were in the attic wrapped in a rug and some of them got wet. You can imagine the rusting, pitting and water damage. In the midst was a Springfield Model 94C with only a bit of surface rust on the barrel. I got it for $60 and cleaned it up.

Then I saw a Savage Model 4C which is a mirror image of the Springfield. Of course it came home with me. Anyone else have a favorite classic .22? All the best...
Gil

#2: Re: Classic .22 rifles Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:52 am
    ----
When it comes to .22's... this is my baby:

dealerease.net/catalog...emigr1.jpg

Being a lefty the bottom ejection is perfect. Yes I know its not an older classic persay, but its still a classic design to me.

-DallanC

#3: Re: Classic .22 rifles Author: BillPa PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:30 am
    ----
My soft spot for 22s has always been the Remington 541-S. I have 4 of them,one NIB unfired,one I used for hunting and 2 that are like new. When my son was 16, I bought him one for his birthday. Now I have three grandsons,so I guess some will find new homes in the future.

Bill

#4: Re: Classic .22 rifles Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:43 pm
    ----
Well GilMartin...Then you would like my Marlin Mod 81 .22 S-L-LR (No serial number) with a 22" barrel with real rifling and an adult stock. Also will put the eye of a knat out at a hundred yards using Iron sights. I have no idea how old it is....

#5: Re: Classic .22 rifles Author: Gil MartinLocation: Schnecksville, PA PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:46 pm
    ----
Well folks,
I really do like classic .22 rifles and recently found a Winchester 69A with aperture sight. These rifles are getting very hard to find in decent shape at a fair price. I try to stay away from the used gun racks to no avail. All the best...
Gil

#6: Re: Classic .22 rifles Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:00 pm
    ----
Howdy. My 22 is a O.F. Mossberg and Son 340 BA, has the monte carlo stock hooded front site and shoots rather well, have had it for quite a few years traded a bb gun for it when i was 14 years old Very Happy

#7: Re: Classic .22 rifles Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:41 pm
    ----
Gidday all,
Gotta love a nice old .22 rimfire. The first firearms I shot (at 14 yrs old!) were a SMLE .303 and a Bren Gun (LMG) also in .303, but like most I really learned to shoot with a .22 rimfire.

I have a number of .22 rifles and love them all. The first gun I ever bought I still have and will never part with is my trusty Krico. Bought it in 1969 and have put thousands of rounds through it and it can still outshoot me.

Also have a Browning, very very light, almost dainty, rifle, single shot, blow back eject, long barrel (never measured it), accurate enough to "nut" a fly at 100 yds.

But my all time favourite without question is an aussie Lithgow single shot handed down to me from a much loved uncle. Have no idea of the vintage but would guess at it being about 70 yr old. Shoots straight enough for a head shot on a rabbit at 75 metres with open sights. It is great condition and I am loathe to fit a scope because it will probably need to be drilled and tapped to mount rings which I feel will spoil it.

Best thing about rimfires though is the cost of the ammo.

Sorry about being long winded, but I do love my .22's.

Cheers, Vince

#8: Re: Classic .22 rifles Author: calsibley PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:21 am
    ----
Hello Dallan,

My best friend has one of these little Browning semi-automatic rifles in .22.
I'm amazed at his accuracy with it. I don't think of semi-automatics as being very accurate in any rifle, but it is sure a deadly model Browning has here and weighs almost next to nothing. You've got a rare gem for sure. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal Very Happy

#9: Re: Classic .22 rifles Author: heritage1550Location: East Texas Woods PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:01 pm
    ----
I figured I 'd throw my 2c's in on this one. I've got a Winchester model 190 that my Dad bought me when I was(best I can remember) 10 or 11. It still shoots well and is in great shape for being 40+ years old. Matter of fact, I just sent an order to Midway for some B Square rings so I can put a scope on her. It's not that she can't still shoot well, I just can't see worth a damn!! LOL!!

#10: Re: Classic .22 rifles Author: HandloaderLocation: Phoenix, Arizona PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:37 am
    ----
One of the all time great 22s has to be the 10-22 Ruger in any of its iterations. I have a Deluxe and T Model. Tough, dependable, accurate.

I agree with GilMartin on the Winchester 69A. It was my first 22 and still gets a workout from time to time.

Another 22 that has adorned the safe has been the Browning T-Bolt and I've used that in silhouette competition with some success.

Now, I am saving my pennies for a Kimber 22.

#11: Re: Classic .22 rifles Author: A17ShooterLocation: California Foothills (Gold Country) PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:24 pm
    ----
Howz about a Stevens Model 414 - Armoury Model? I've only had it about a year but, it is a great old gun. The fellow I bought it from said it was 85 yrs old. That does fall within the date range of manufacturing. The action is a lever operated rolling block. It was/is a target rifle and I found a Unertl scope for it. It's favorite ammo is CCI Velocitor.

The only problem is that it's not a 17. But, it's manufactured as a type of switch-barrel. Smile

A17Shooter

#12: Re: Classic .22 rifles Author: Gil MartinLocation: Schnecksville, PA PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:11 pm
    ----
A17Shooter,
Very nice classic rifle! Thanks for sharing. All the best...
Gil

#13: Re: Classic .22 rifles Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:24 pm
    ----
A17Shooter wrote:
Howz about a Stevens Model 414 - Armoury Model? I've only had it about a year but, it is a great old gun. The fellow I bought it from said it was 85 yrs old. That does fall within the date range of manufacturing. The action is a lever operated rolling block. It was/is a target rifle and I found a Unertl scope for it. It's favorite ammo is CCI Velocitor.

The only problem is that it's not a 17. But, it's manufactured as a type of switch-barrel. Smile

A17Shooter

Wow... THAT is a very neat looking rifle. The scope is an excellent choice!!!

-DallanC

#14: Re: Classic .22 rifles Author: tbox61Location: Great Bend, KS PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:29 am
    ----
Dallan,

I must agree with you on the classic styling of your favorite .22! I have my father's Belgium Browning .22, and now it just sits in my gun safe. I still have the original box it came in, as well as the receipt from the sporting goods store in Russell, KS. My mother purchased it as a Christmas present in 1951 for the princely sum of $110.00!

My favorite shooter is my Golden 39A, 70's vintage.

Tim

#15: Re: Classic .22 rifles Author: robfromaz1977Location: Arizona's White Mountains PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:13 am
    ----
tbox61 wrote:

My favorite shooter is my Golden 39A, 70's vintage.

Tim

THATS MY FAVORITE .22 ALSO. IF I COULD ONLY GET MINE BACK FROM MY OLD MAN. Mad MAYBE SOME DAY I WILL.

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions