Turkey Hunting tips sure to get results!
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> Small Game Hunting

#16: Re: Turkey Hunting tips sure to get results! Author: hunterjoe21Location: Miles City, Montana PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:15 pm
    ----
Thanks Bud.....

#17: Re: Turkey Hunting tips sure to get results! Author: OntheLasGallinasLocation: South Texas PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:16 am
    ----
Looking at that photo makes me want to shoot one of the big long-beards strutting around in my yard every morning! But my wife likes to look at them and I might get in trouble! Ha Ha.

Cary

#18: Re: Turkey Hunting tips sure to get results! Author: gobbuster PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:36 pm
    ----
Nice one, Good job! It always gets my blood a boiling to see a good bird in the hand. How bigs the beard?
Gobbuster

#19: Re: Turkey Hunting tips sure to get results! Author: gobbuster PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:37 pm
    ----
I'll have some video in a couple of weeks for you of our up coming New Mexico hunt too.
Gobbuster

#20: Re: Turkey Hunting tips sure to get results! Author: hunterjoe21Location: Miles City, Montana PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:10 pm
    ----
gobbuster wrote:
Nice one, Good job! It always gets my blood a boiling to see a good bird in the hand. How bigs the beard?
Gobbuster

You help me judge the beard.

I called a friend to help, he says it's a 11" beard, but another local expert looked at it and said it's a 9" beard...

Check the photos:

#21: Re: Turkey Hunting tips sure to get results! Author: hunterjoe21Location: Miles City, Montana PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:14 pm
    ----
hunterjoe21 wrote:
gobbuster wrote:
Gobbuster

You help me judge the beard.

I called a friend to help, he says it's a 11" beard, but another local expert looked at it and said it's a 9" beard...

Check the photos:

#22: Re: Turkey Hunting tips sure to get results! Author: hunterjoe21Location: Miles City, Montana PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:17 pm
    ----
But it IS the only time I've ever seen a beard with that much color variation

#23: Re: Turkey Hunting tips sure to get results! Author: gobbuster PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:38 pm
    ----
Excellent beard! Thats officially an 11 1/2 inch or better beard. Stretch it out as straight as you can and that will be the accurate score. Every hair counts with turkey and I have won contests based on that method which is honest criteria. They break off a lot of the beard during the spring from fighting and strutting which is why long beards often have just a few beyond the 9 inch mark or so. They also wear down the wing feathers from strutting during the spring. But I have to honestly say that is serious bragging rights you have there my friend, and I've killed dozens of gobbs. I've killed some that the beard has turned mostly gray, from old age I'm guessing. But thats one old gobb though. What did he weight before you gutted him? The old boys seem to start getting lighter in weight some times. But I think that depends a lot on the predator preasure they're dealing with too. Super good job!!
Gobbuster

#24: Re: Turkey Hunting tips sure to get results! Author: hunterjoe21Location: Miles City, Montana PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:55 pm
    ----
Funny you should mention older birds being lighter...He weighed only 20 1/2 pounds... Seems as though I finally caught up with a truly old bird...

And the last idjit that looked at the beard swore that the long "strands" were already "loose" so he yanked on 'em to make sure....They're loose now!!!

Glad I took the pictures before he got here today.....

#25: Re: Turkey Hunting tips sure to get results! Author: hunterjoe21Location: Miles City, Montana PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:03 pm
    ----
gobbuster wrote:
The old boys seem to start getting lighter in weight some times. But I think that depends a lot on the predator preasure they're dealing with too. Super good job!!
Gobbuster

My brother-in-law thought he looked like an old fart....

-> Small Game Hunting