Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#1: 1911 Author: KYGunnerLocation: Elizabethtown, KY PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:52 pm
    ----
I have a Colt 1911 Clone that I have "inherited". I am going to have to do some work to it and replace a few banged up parts. I would love to see pictures, get some websites for parts (especially grips), etc. so I can start deciding how exactly I want to customize this thng. You guys are usually opinionated.....Give me some ideas.

#2: Re: 1911 Author: HandloaderLocation: Phoenix, Arizona PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:19 pm
    ----
Referals depend on the type of customizing you wish to make. When you mention it is a "clone", what manufacturer? That is important relative to sources for the parts needed.

You may find a good 1911 gunsmith in your area that can walk you through the desired modifications.

As far as grips are concerned, some of my favorite 1911 wood grips have come from Esmerala O'Shanahan. Just hit a search engine for "esmeralda grips" and enjoy. If you wish to have grips other than wood, there are many sources for superb micarta, carbon fiber, ivory, etc. Tell us more of what you have in mind.

#3: Re: 1911 Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:05 pm
    ----
KYGunner

Midway and Wilson combat are good sources for 1911 parts, both carry just about evrything you need to build a 1911 pistol. Going to the Midway website and looking through the 1911 stuff will give you names of the companys making some of these parts.

Wilson is a custom gun builder that also has a line of replacement parts.

If new grips,sights,and a few broken or worn parts is all that needs replaced they should be able to help you out.

If your looking to do a build up my advise is do your homework first.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.stiguns.com
This is a semi-custom gun maker, also sells some parts. Highly recomend their guns to anyone wanting to buy a quality 1911.

#4: Re: 1911 Author: Deleted_User_2665 PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:45 am
    ----
KYGunner wrote:
I have a Colt 1911 Clone that I have "inherited". I am going to have to do some work to it and replace a few banged up parts. I would love to see pictures, get some websites for parts (especially grips), etc. so I can start deciding how exactly I want to customize this thng. You guys are usually opinionated.....Give me some ideas.

I have a set of real nice Cocbolo grip panels I'd part with, sale or trade.

Made 'em for my Colt, but put the factory rubber one's back on to sell it.

Fully checkered with large diamonds and stainless steel trim rings at the screw holes.

I'd want to repoint the checkering a tad before letting 'em go, just to freshen 'em up like new.

If you are interested I'll hang a pic....................

#5: Re: 1911 Author: SingleShotLoverLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:01 am
    ----
Check out Brownells' website. They even publish a catalog that has only 1911 parts. Their tech support people are another good source for specific inquiries. I order enough parts from them that if they don't hear from me once a month they start wondering if I died!

#6: Re: 1911 Author: KYGunnerLocation: Elizabethtown, KY PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:18 am
    ----
Hey, thanks for all the input thus far. I have in mind some ideas. I have built up a couple 1911's before.

Answers:
wildswalker - yeah, let me see a picture and the price for them. pm me if you prefer.

Handloader - the frame and slide are Ithaca. It was my great uncle's carry gun in World War 2. I know - DON'T TOUCH IT!!! But...his son already has ruint it. Made some horrible grips for it. Lost the others. Dropped it at least twice on something hard (concrete) and dinged up the grip safety and trigger guard horrible. He has put a new barrel in it. It has just been abused and is worth nothing much now except I want to make it look brand new and smile about my Great Uncle every time I look at it. Not be disgusted by the fact that his son ruint it. Son is not on speaking terms with any of the family if it is consolation.

#7: Re: 1911 Author: KYGunnerLocation: Elizabethtown, KY PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:19 am
    ----
Whose got the perfect 1911 at there house???? Let me see a picture.

#8: Re: 1911 Author: skb2706 PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:13 am
    ----
Watching this thread as I have also inherited a 1911 of 1950s circa. It has no real collector value as it was not care for well in its previous life. I am curious just how much can be done by a nongunsmith.

#9: Re: 1911 Author: KYGunnerLocation: Elizabethtown, KY PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:22 am
    ----
Hey, I started this thread SKB and I am a nongunsmith. I do feel like a fairly competent nongunsmith. I fully intend to refinish (parkerize) the whole project after I get the parts. Parkerizing is a fairly straightforwad and easy process that will greatly affect the looks.

#10: Re: 1911 Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:59 am
    ----
A photo you want. Nothing fancy here, but a photo you will get. Colt 1911 Series 80 (1990) .45 ACP with Wilson custom stainless parts (extended magazine release, extended slide release, full length guide rod, match barrel and bushing, magazine well funnel and magazines...Novak fixed 3 dot front and rear sights.) The aluminum hammer spring housing replaced with a steel one (better over the hand balance). It has had a trigger job by one of the finest custom west coast gunsmiths set at 2 1/2 lbs and a 16 lb recoil spring. You will note my next project. An ambidextrous thumb safety. Like I said...Nothing fancy, but it works

#11: Re: 1911 Author: KYGunnerLocation: Elizabethtown, KY PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:58 am
    ----
Bush-
You are the leader in the clubhouse. Nice gun. I am a simple man myself. And the small things matter to me as much or more than the appearance. Thanks for sharing and I like! Toothless

#12: Re: 1911 Author: Deleted_User_2665 PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:51 pm
    ----
You can see there's a little carry wear, repointing and a fresh finish will erase that, which I would do before selling....

Would wonder tho' if your bolt pattern be identical. These were a near snap fit on a '91A1.

If you are interested PM an offer.........

#13: Re: 1911 Author: KYGunnerLocation: Elizabethtown, KY PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:21 pm
    ----
The grip screw pattern should be the same. I don't want to insult you...What are they worth to you? Those are nicely done by the way. Good work.

#14: Re: 1911 Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:58 pm
    ----
I've been trying to upload some pics but been unable to do so. sorry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you go to the STI website, click on complete guns, then click on the Trojan 5.0 you'll see the gun I run in IDPA (Internatioal Defensive Pistol Association)

www.stiguns.com

#15: Re: 1911 Author: roklokLocation: Fairbanks, Alaska PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:37 pm
    ----
I prefer either arched or the Wilson V grip mainspring housing. I find that 1911s with flat mainspring housings do not fit me very well and tend to point low. I wil try to post a picture of 1911 with the Wilson V-grip installed.

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions