Best 12 Western Movies
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> Spam-O-Rama

#16: Re: Best 12 Western Movies Author: hunterjoe21Location: Miles City, Montana PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:12 pm
    ----
Just my opinion, and in no particular order

Unforgiven
The Good The Bad and The Ugly
Outlaw Josey Wales
Two Mules for Sister Sarah
Tombstone
Young Guns
Wyatt Earp
Shane

#17: Re: Best 12 Western Movies Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:26 pm
    ----
DallanC wrote:
Trinity is Still my Name (LOL).
Silverado
Once Upon a time in the West

You read my mind Dallan.

The Trinity Trilogy (there was three from memory) were amongst some of the funniest movies I have ever seen...western or otherwise.

I think you guys have covered pretty well every decent western movie made. I note that nobody mentioned the Billy Jack movies, although they technically aren't westerns. I thought that Jack Palance played a good part in City Slickers too.

The western TV series were more my thing...Rifleman, Sugarfoot, Wagon Train, Bonanza, Rin Tin Tin, The Lone Ranger, Roy Rogers etc etc etc Very Happy Laughing Laughing

Cheers, Vince

Cheers, Vince

#18: Re: Best 12 Western Movies Author: rdncktinkLocation: Hwaseong, South Korea PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:35 pm
    ----
1. Tombstone
2. Quigley Down Under
3. McLintok
4. Little Big Man
5. Hidalgo
6. The Apple Dumpling Gang
7. The Apple Dumpling Gang Rides Again
8. The Quick and The Dead (1995)
9. Maverick (1994)
10. The Cheyenne Social Club
Man all I can come up with is 10.
Well lets add the last 2 as TV shows.
11. The Young Riders
12. The Magnificent Seven (1998-200)

#19: Re: Best 12 Western Movies Author: 1895ssLocation: Not Here...!! PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:31 am
    ----
SwampFox wrote:
Now 1895 what ya got against General Jimmy Stewart? Besides him being bald?
Ed

Mostly his voice wtf and his feeble attempt at acting...................... Shocked

Smile

#20: Re: Best 12 Western Movies Author: SwampFoxLocation: Destin, Florida PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:01 am
    ----
Naw Bushy, I figured you might try to slip a play or silent job in on us. I forgot to qualify the dozen as talkies. Nananana
Ed

#21: Re: Best 12 Western Movies Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:36 am
    ----
Oh darn...Thought I might sneak a few Lash Larue (SP), Joel McCray (knew his son Wyat) and a few like that...They were talkies... Very Happy

#22: Re: Best 12 Western Movies Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:12 am
    ----
So many Listed now I had forgotten about. Perhaps we should have listed all the westerns we could remember first THEN select the top 12.

Vince wrote:
The Trinity Trilogy (there was three from memory) were amongst some of the funniest movies I have ever seen...western or otherwise.

Hehe... I bought the first 2 about 6 months ago on DVD for $4. Extremely campy and silly but man there are some hilarious scenes in there... ie: the card game.

Open Range is a classic I watch whenever its on TV.

-DallanC

#23: Re: Best 12 Western Movies Author: trackerLocation: Manitoba, Canada PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:57 am
    ----
I'm gonna bring Keetowah's list this afternoon. I left it at the house this morning. Most of her picks I've noticed are here but she gave me the list so I'll be sure and include it. Funny how, after making a list, some of the movies I've seen on other lists and I think "oh yeah1 How could I have forgotten that one..." But when she and I got talking her question was, and now my question too is..."No Blazing Saddles?" LOL. Later guys.

#24: Re: Best 12 Western Movies Author: ElyBoyLocation: Forest Lake Minnesota PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:23 pm
    ----
All of you guys have good movies listed.
I tend to agree with Bushy though.
I JUST got done watching Quigley Down Under for the umpteenth time, and I think that Quigley and How the West Was Won are my two favorites.

Also all of the Man From Snowy River movies.

The little kid in Shane had to be "light of foot" if you guys know what I mean.
I hated that book. Mad

Eric

#25: Re: Best 12 Western Movies Author: SwampFoxLocation: Destin, Florida PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:31 pm
    ----
Vince,
I watch the Rifleman every evening from 6 till 7 (two episodes per night) on the Encore Westerns Network (big dish). Last night they had the episode where Mica (the marshal) came to Northfork, the night before they had episode #1. Anyway, when they ran the credits at the end of the Mica episode, I bet you can not guess who the director was...... Sam Peckinpah.
Ed

#26: Re: Best 12 Western Movies Author: 1895ssLocation: Not Here...!! PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:46 pm
    ----
I would say that all the western movies with The Duke, Clint Eastwood, Charles Bronson, Burt Lancaster, Kirk Douglas, Clint Walker, Sam Elliott, Yul Brynner, Richard Widmark, Lee Marvin, James Coburn, Robert Duvall, Robert Mitchum and let's not forget Audie Murphy, are hard to beat. The two Elvis westerns were good as well. For me it would be too hard to pick only 12 best. Smile

Edited to include Robert Mitchum.

Last edited by 1895ss on Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

#27: Re: Best 12 Western Movies Author: trackerLocation: Manitoba, Canada PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:23 pm
    ----
See, I'd be in on 1895s list except maybe Kirk Douglas, the only western I remember liking him in I can't remember the name but him and the Duke have this thing going about who's the fastest gunslinger and they shoot these two bad guys pretty much simultaneously. Douglas says "Mine hit the ground first" the Duke responds "Mine was bigger" Kirk's the reason I voted against the Snowy RIver movies. And what about old Robert Mitchum, he did a couple of pretty good dusters, was he on that list?

#28: Re: Best 12 Western Movies Author: 1895ssLocation: Not Here...!! PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:47 pm
    ----
Tracker, you're thinking of the movie The War Wagon. You are right I missed Robert Mitchum.

#29: Re: Best 12 Western Movies Author: trackerLocation: Manitoba, Canada PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:22 pm
    ----
I just always got a kick out of the way the Duke had that "won't tolerate any back talk" tone in his voice, sure had it in that scene. I think the closest one to doing that nowadays is Sam Elliot. If he says beef is what's for dinner...I figure a lot of vegetarians just changed there ways. I love the scene with Mel Gibson in We Were Soldiers..."Custer was a pussy sir. You AINT!"

#30: Re: Best 12 Western Movies Author: trackerLocation: Manitoba, Canada PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:06 pm
    ----
And keeping my promise (to her, not to you guys, LOL) Keetowah's top twelve (or so)

1. Jeremiah Johnson (the rest might be in any order but this is so far ahead of the rest should probably be in its own category)
2.Lonesome Dove
3. Open Range
4. Rooster Cogburn
5. Shadow Riders
6. The Quick and the Dead (the L'Amour story with Sam Elliot not that thing with Sharon Stone and Gene Hackman)
7. Two Mules for Sister Sarah
8. Tombstone
9. The Last Days of Frank and Jesse James
10. Quigley Down Under
11. Hidalgo
12. The Missing
extra mention: The Tracker, Blazing Saddles, Monte Walsh (she likes the Tom Selleck version, I'm thinking I should have put the original with Lee Marvin in my first list)

-> Spam-O-Rama