the kill shot--hunting ethics
-> General

#1: the kill shot--hunting ethics Author: trackerLocation: Manitoba, Canada PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:17 am
    ----
This just in from the wilds of Montana---Keetowah told me she went out hunting with some guy she works with and one of his buddies. She wound up a few feet from a white-tail that she wasn't sure was legal for her tags. She thought his spikes were too little, or she only had a doe tag. Anyway, as she thought about it, the deer turned and she couldn't get a clean kill shot. She let it go.

One of these guys she's hunting with said to her afterward, "If it ain't wearing orange, shoot it!"

I told her she did the right thing, in my opinion the guy that would say that, didn't sound like he was kidding the way she described it to me, well...just a little too trigger happy. Thoughts?

#2: Re: the kill shot--hunting ethics Author: trackerLocation: Manitoba, Canada PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:19 am
    ----
Oh yeah, and she said to say HI to y'all, my bad....Hi y'all!

#3: Re: the kill shot--hunting ethics Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:20 am
    ----
I think she did the right thing as well. When in doubt don't pull the trigger. Ya can't take the shot back she did good, and tell her Hi back Howdy
Joe

#4: Re: the kill shot--hunting ethics Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:22 am
    ----
If SHE wasn't sure of her tags and most important. SHE wasn't sure of the shot...There are other deer...SHE did good!!!

#5: Re: the kill shot--hunting ethics Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:19 pm
    ----
Yah.. I agree.. she did good.

It is not the kill, it is the hunt. Sometime, after I get all my meat needs, I like to wander into the middle of a goat mob and just scream at them Very Happy it is fun to see them start and run Very Happy :-D

#6: Re: the kill shot--hunting ethics Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:20 pm
    ----
She did good, its not even so much legal (sure they'll charge you and all if you don't got a tag for the animal) but you never know, its like hearing stories of some hunters shooting at a "black moose looking like thing just behind the tree line" Shocked

Its always best if you cannot 110% be sure its ok to shoot not to shot.

I don't care if it looks like a 20 point deer (if there is such a thing Laughing ) in your sights, if it looks like a bad shot it shouldn't be taken. Smile

Dimitri

#7: Re: the kill shot--hunting ethics Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:04 pm
    ----
tracker wrote:
I told her she did the right thing, in my opinion the guy that would say that, didn't sound like he was kidding the way she described it to me, well...just a little too trigger happy. Thoughts?

As Joe, Bushy, Gelan and 'Mitri said...She done good.

Let her know I am proud of her ethics Tracks, as I am sure the rest of us are.

I sincerely hope that she has revised her list of acceptable hunting partners now. That guy sounded like a real jerk!!! "If it moves, kill it. If it don't move kick it first to see if its dead...if it ain't...kill it" Hate that mentality. Mad Mad Mad

Gelan wrote:
Sometime, after I get all my meat needs, I like to wander into the middle of a goat mob and just scream at them it is fun to see them start and run.
Laughing ROFL Haha

Gelan old mate...you worry me. Laughing

#8: Re: the kill shot--hunting ethics Author: tikkat3 PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:14 pm
    ----
Gelandangan,
If you can walk into a mob of goats to scare them why are you looking for a 'ranging' method. You should be trying to catch them alive.
Keetowah,
You did the right and only honorable thing. "If in doubt, Don't"

#9: Re: the kill shot--hunting ethics Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:11 am
    ----
tikkat3 wrote:
You should be trying to catch them alive.

Heh.. did that mate, got me a kid once Very Happy silly little thing just run, plays and head butt me leg, so I just reach and grab it. This is before I alarm the mob.. I still about meters away from the main group. Maybe I smell like a billy goat after a few days in the bush Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

#10: Re: the kill shot--hunting ethics Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:43 am
    ----
Keetowah did absolutely the right thing. I doubt any of us are in the position that we HAVE to make a kill to survive. If we ignore the game laws when we feel like it then we aren't helping either the game or our sport.

#11: Re: the kill shot--hunting ethics Author: trackerLocation: Manitoba, Canada PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:38 pm
    ----
Hey guys,

I was talking to my sweetie last night and told her how many positive responses she got. She wanted me to thank you all, I appreciate it too because it's one thing for me to tell her something on the phone from a thousand miles away, but quite another for some big mouth to tell her something different when he's right in her face.

Having that "vote of confidence" from the huntingnut brothers means a lot.

#12: Re: the kill shot--hunting ethics Author: SwampFoxLocation: Destin, Florida PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:55 pm
    ----
Tracker,
Very good for the young lady!

This is exactly why I am very careful about who I hunt with and if I hant with them again.
Ed

-> General