Question about the 22ppc caliber
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#1: Question about the 22ppc caliber Author: codybrownLocation: Michigan PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:33 am
    ----
So I just came accross a rifle chambered in the 22ppc caliber. Before today, I had never heard of it. Does anyone know anything about it? I'm assuming that is a varmit or wildcat cartridge?? From what little I have found on the internet so far, it originally came from a .220swift, then altered into the 22ppc?

#2: Re: Question about the 22ppc caliber Author: trackerLocation: Manitoba, Canada PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:41 am
    ----
Well, I'm no help, never heard of it before, but as always it'll be interesting to learn..... Smile

#3: Re: Question about the 22ppc caliber Author: SwampFoxLocation: Destin, Florida PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:12 pm
    ----
Cody,
Actually the 22 PPC is based on the 220 Russian which is a 7.62x39 necked down to .224 with a smaller taper. The cartridge was designed for benchrest competition and has a small rifle primer as does most of the benchrest cartridges.

This is a site that explains the PPC and gives some load data:
www.reloadersnest.com/...liberID=15

As with most of the smaller case 224 cartridges the round is limited in application, similar to a 222 RM, still leaving the 22-250 and 220 Swift as the big boys in the .224 game. But the PPC makes up a lot by being very accurate.
Ed

#4: Re: Question about the 22ppc caliber Author: FALPhilLocation: Dixie PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:08 pm
    ----
Swamp Fox is right. The 22PPC gives up about 400fps to the 22-250. However, with the right throating and bullet combination, it is relative easy to make a 22PPC a one-hole rifle at 100 yards. I have seen a few. It makes a great entry level benchrest cartridge.

#5: Re: Question about the 22ppc caliber Author: trackerLocation: Manitoba, Canada PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:06 pm
    ----
Thanks Ed

#6: Re: Question about the 22ppc caliber Author: codybrownLocation: Michigan PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:02 pm
    ----
So comparable to the accuracy of the 222? A little slower than the 22-250, but more accurate? I think I understood that?!?!?

#7: Re: Question about the 22ppc caliber Author: codybrownLocation: Michigan PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:09 pm
    ----
Forgot to ask....does anyone know if there is over the counter ammo available, or do you need to load it yourself? I have the entire collection of the Ruger KM77VT's. Well I thought I did until I saw this one.....now I gotta have it Very Happy

#8: Re: Question about the 22ppc caliber Author: FALPhilLocation: Dixie PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:52 pm
    ----
It's pretty much a wildcat proposition, but several companies make brass for it. Where I shoot, I see primarily Lapua and Norma, and once in a while, some older Sako cases. A lot of the competitors buy 6mmPPC cases and size them down so they can turn the necks to the exact dimensions for their rifles.

Popular bullets are from the usual suspects: Nosler, Sierra, and Berger. Powders include AA2520, VV N135, and Bench-mark.

I have been very tempted to build a rifle around this cartridge myself. I shoot at RBGC occasionally, and there are a bunch of shooting geeks that have custom rifles in 22PPC. They are shooting out to 300 yds with outstanding accuracy. I have been told to go with a fast twist and use heavier bullets for accuracy becaquse of the cartridge's sensitivity to crosswinds. What kind of twist dies the rifle you are considering have?

#9: Re: Question about the 22ppc caliber Author: codybrownLocation: Michigan PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:08 pm
    ----
Doesn't say....I'm trying to research it, but I'm haveing quite a hard time. Here's the link:
www.gunbroker.com/Auct...m=84375666

#10: Re: Question about the 22ppc caliber Author: FALPhilLocation: Dixie PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:12 pm
    ----
Nice stick. I really like the wood. Most of the 22PPC rifles I see at RBGC have plastic stocks, and in some cases, the owners actually glue the actions into the stocks.

#11: Re: Question about the 22ppc caliber Author: codybrownLocation: Michigan PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:16 pm
    ----
I have 7 of them currently, which is all that I knew that they made.

22-250
.220 swift
25/06

Now I gotta get this one to complete the collection. I'm a really big Ruger fan, and I especially like these KM77VT configurations. They are extremely accurate, and shoot very well. Nice, light trigger pull with no creep on any of the ones that I have.

#12: Re: Question about the 22ppc caliber Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:39 am
    ----
I don't really know the guns Ruger made. But there isn't a model in 30-06 ?? Confused

Dimitri

#13: Re: Question about the 22ppc caliber Author: FALPhilLocation: Dixie PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:08 am
    ----
Not a varmint rifle, just a sporter.

#14: Re: Question about the 22ppc caliber Author: codybrownLocation: Michigan PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:01 am
    ----
Yup, not in the varmit models. The rebular M77's come in many configurations for the 30-06

#15: Re: Question about the 22ppc caliber Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:26 am
    ----
Ah ok saw the 25-06Spring and thought they might chamber that model in 30-06 as well as I didn't know it was a varmint model, however with those Accelerator inserts the 30-06 will make short work of vermin. Laughing

Dimitri

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions