Opening Day!!!!
-> Big Game Hunting

#1: Opening Day!!!! Author: GrantLocation: Grande Prairie, Alberta PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:38 pm
    ----
Opening day of Hunting Season……

Although I knew that today was not going to be the best day to go hunting I still had to get myself up at 4am and head out for at least a couple hours on opening day. I haven’t missed going out on the first day of hunting season in a very long time. With a forecast for a hot and sunny day the likelihood was that the dear and moose would only move around for no more than a couple hours after sun up. Driving out in the dark to my starting spot I was discouraged that I didn’t see any critters along the route. I arrived at my destination, parked the truck and waited for first light.

When it got light enough to be able to see through my scope I walked up over the ridge and proceeded to the area I wanted to hunt. Took a couple pretty cool pictures from the top of the ridge. Within 10 minutes I spotted a small group of Mule deer, three does and what I was pretty sure was a buck. I worked in a little closer and could see that it was indeed a small three point buck. I immediately decided this buck was not the one I was looking for, so I moved off with the deer undisturbed. I walked slowly and quietly along for several hundred more yards and came past a favourite swamp of mine. As always it seems, there was a moose feeding. Turned out it was a big cow and with them not being open I just watched her for several minuets and then continued on my way. After walking for another mile or so, again I spotted some Mule deer moving down a gully. I quickly moved into a good ambush point and waited for them. The three deer walked to within a few feet of me, another picture taken of one of the does, but the buck was a two point and again wasn’t what I was looking for.

After seeing a couple more does and covering about another mile, I decided to head back to the truck and just drive into a few spots, scout them for next weekend and then head for home. The heat from the sun was really starting to climb and I only saw one Black Bear a couple does and a few Grouse as I toured around. I am having Grouse for supper tonight by the way… Wink .. got three with my .22 . All and all it was a pretty great first morning of hunting season. I saw lots of critters on an absolutely beautiful morning to be out and about in the bush, that’s my definition of a great day hunting.

#2: Re: Opening Day!!!! Author: GrantLocation: Grande Prairie, Alberta PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:42 pm
    ----
One more pick

#3: Re: Opening Day!!!! Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:44 pm
    ----
Beautiful Grant....absolutely beautiful. I firmly believe that for an enjoyable hunt it doesn't always matter if its the trigger on a rifle or camera that you are pulling.

Cheers, Vince

#4: Re: Opening Day!!!! Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:38 am
    ----
Beautiful!!! I concur with Vince...

#5: Re: Opening Day!!!! Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:17 am
    ----
Very nice.

#6: Re: Opening Day!!!! Author: GrantLocation: Grande Prairie, Alberta PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:25 am
    ----
Oh, I pulled the trigger of the rifle, a few times the .22 barked..... The BBQ Grouse supper was particularly good last night....... Wink

Yeah, a good day doesn't mean you killed something, was a beautiful morning.

#7: Re: Opening Day!!!! Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:33 pm
    ----
Sounds Like ya had a fine day Very Happy .
Joe

-> Big Game Hunting