Recycled Brass $$$$$
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> General

#1: Recycled Brass $$$$$ Author: HandloaderLocation: Phoenix, Arizona PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:22 pm
    ----
Monday I ended the day $728 richer than I began. For years I have simply collected clean brass, mine and others, and placed them in a couple of old 55 gallon drums. Copper prices have soared recently and so has the price for brass at salvage yards. I doubt prices will decrease in the foreseeable future. When I see brass and can access it, I don't mind spending a few minutes and adding it to the collection.

Today, three of us went shooting near Prescott. On the way back, we stopped at a gunshop. The price of the Model 24 S&W was $726, out the door. Brass, gun. repeat.

#2: Re: Recycled Brass $$$$$ Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:35 pm
    ----
Ya gotta be happy with that mate....and ya got $2 change.

A mate and I did something similar over here a few months back. Just from our collection of discarded brass and primers we got abot $130.

Pays for the shooting costs.

Was going to start a new thread on this one. Maybe if everyone of us picked up a lb or so of discarded brass left behind by the lazy SOB's then we could both fund our hobby and do something for the environment and shooting sports. Might just keep the environmentalists off our backs.

Cheers, Vince

#3: Re: Recycled Brass $$$$$ Author: HandloaderLocation: Phoenix, Arizona PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:22 pm
    ----
Vince wrote:
Ya gotta be happy with that mate....and ya got $2 change.
. . . . . . Maybe if everyone of us picked up a lb or so of discarded brass left behind by the lazy SOB's then we could both fund our hobby and do something for the environment and shooting sports. Might just keep the environmentalists off our backs.

Cheers, Vince

Howdy Vince I hope you get some rain down there soon! And, I absolutely love this Model 24 -- its a 4" and I have been looking for one in top condition for some time.

Perhaps, the environmentalists are different than here, but, I doubt it. Your suggestion (a very good suggestion, incidentally) is the product of logic. The tree huggers and government environmentalists tend to be agenda driven and don't wish to be confused by facts. Or logic.

OTOH, our fellow shooters are often the cause of resentment by the public that shares the land with us. They resent the garbage, the spent brass, the shotshell hulls that litter every place, it seems, where shooters gather to practice. They are aghast at the items used for targets (glass bottles, old appliances, tin cans, clay pigeons, etc) that are never cleaned up and simply left to decay. More importantly, those trashy shooters are often cited for the reason a public area should be restricted. And, Vince, your right -- there is a lot of $$$ for those that take the time to salvage the brass.

#4: Re: Recycled Brass $$$$$ Author: ElyBoyLocation: Forest Lake Minnesota PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:31 am
    ----
Your post is put up at the right time Handloader.
The Sportsmens Club that I belong to collects all of the brass that the shooters don't pick up.
We also do sight in days in the fall for the public, and most of the brass from the shooters remains on the floor after they shoot.
This year, I went throught at least 12 5gal buckets full of empty brass with a magnet to check for any steel.
We all figured that the club would get around $1.50per pound. Boy were we wrong.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that the club got around $2.50 a pound.
Like Vince says, a guy sure could pay for his shooting if he saved up some.

Eric

Last edited by ElyBoy on Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

#5: Re: Recycled Brass $$$$$ Author: Gil MartinLocation: Schnecksville, PA PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:18 pm
    ----
I like a story with a happy ending. All the best...
Gil

#6: Re: Recycled Brass $$$$$ Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:26 pm
    ----
Handloader wrote:
Howdy Vince I hope you get some rain down there soon! And, I absolutely love this Model 24 -- its a 4" and I have been looking for one in top condition for some time.

Perhaps, the environmentalists are different than here, but, I doubt it. Your suggestion (a very good suggestion, incidentally) is the product of logic. The tree huggers and government environmentalists tend to be agenda driven and don't wish to be confused by facts. Or logic.

We have had just enough rain to tease us, although it dropped 30mm, or just over an inch, of rain into the dam catchment area.

The 44 Spl is a bit of an oddity here in Australia. We have a lot of .38 Spl, .357 Mag, .44 Mag and .45LC, but very few .44 Spl. Had a look at one on the web and it looks like a pretty nice revolver. I think that it would make a much better self defence piece than either a .357 Mag or a .44 Mag...sort of sits nicely in between both of them as far as power and recoil is concerned. A bit of load tuning and you should have an awesome gun.

You are correct about the environmentalists...they all have their own agenda and to hell with the truth and facts.

Cheers, Vince

#7: Re: Recycled Brass $$$$$ Author: GroovyJackLocation: Bama PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:55 pm
    ----
HL did ya deprime the brass or no before ya got paid fer it ??

#8: Re: Recycled Brass $$$$$ Author: ElyBoyLocation: Forest Lake Minnesota PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:11 pm
    ----
This is a great post and good timing for me to ask all of you guys a question.
I was at Gander Mountain this afternoon, and they have a cowboy pistol, used, .45 Long Colt for sale for $179.00.
It looks like an 1873 Uberti Cattlemen Hombre, in like new condition.
Before I go back and get excited about it I have a question.
If I would buy the pistol, my added expenses would be to buy the reloading dies, correct powder, bullets. I know what load that I would use already so that is no problem.
The extra expense is buying the brass. Sense eBay doesn't sell it anymore, how much money will I be spending for the brass? As much as I shoot, I will most likely need from 500 to 1000 pieces.
Do you guys think that it is worth the trouble and money to get this pistol???
I'm thinking that I could go broke buying the brass.

Eric

#9: Re: Recycled Brass $$$$$ Author: GroovyJackLocation: Bama PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:02 am
    ----
I dunno 'bout the pistol , but brass is about $20 /100 at Midway $90/500 ..
I'd buy 100 pcs unless ya jus wanted 500 or 1000 , casue ya oughta get 3-5 reloads at the least from each piece ..

Reloading is worth it ..

#10: Re: Recycled Brass $$$$$ Author: ElyBoyLocation: Forest Lake Minnesota PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:18 am
    ----
Thanks Jack,
That was another question that I was going to ask, and you answered it. How many reloads on the brass.
If I get the gun, I think that I'll go the Midway route, and start with 100pcs.

Eric

#11: Re: Recycled Brass $$$$$ Author: HandloaderLocation: Phoenix, Arizona PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:00 am
    ----
GroovyJack: primed. My only operation was to clean it, by which I mean, no dirt or rocks or mud on the cases.

ElyBoy: get the handgun! Uberti (owned by Beretta) manufactures a fairly decent revolver. Even the preBeretta ones were alright.

Be aware, however, that the 45 Colt has endearing characteristics that may lead you an obsession to own more handguns so chambered. I have several and am always on the lookout for the next one.

For target practice, I load the standard 8gr Unique under a 255 gr cast or 6gr of TrailBoss under a 200gr cast. Using Remington, Starline or Winchester brass, I'll get 15 to 22 reloads per case before discard with Winchester giving the best life. When loading at max pressure (keep the Uberti within the SAAMI pressure specs) with 250gr XTP, I use Winchester exclusively and get 7 reloads before discard. Here are a couple of things I believe are important for extended case life and accuracy.

Slug your barrel and measure the cylinder mouths. When using cast, the bullet should be sized .001 to .002" more than the bore diameter. If the cylinder mouths are oversized (beyond .452") or ununiform, accuracy will be less. If the bore size is smaller than the cylinder mouth size, accuracy will be less. Historically, 45 Colts have had extremes in tolerances of bore and cylinder sizing.

If cylinders show similar tolerances (measure the spent cases at the base, midway along the case and at the mouth of the case), back off the sizing die until only as much sizing as is needed is achieved to chamber a reloaded case with only very slight resistance. When loading for field use or carry, resize all the way. Buy a case gauge. Shortened brass life can often be attributed to oversized chambers and full length sized brass.

If you are accuracy driven, standardized case length is a minor but important factor. 45 Colt brass doesn't tend to grow much, however, some variation from case to case from the factory is observable. It a pain, but, worthwhile to trim new brass and champher the mouths.

Every group of shooters will have some preferences, it seems, for primers. While the 45 Colt is easy to reload, our testing of the 45 Colt and 454 Casull has shown the highest consistency (velocity, SDs, accuracy) across the board with Winchester primers,, most notably with slower powders such as H110/296. The WLP is magnum and standard designation.

So, did you get it? Did you shoot it yet?

#12: Re: Recycled Brass $$$$$ Author: ElyBoyLocation: Forest Lake Minnesota PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:47 am
    ----
I'm still thinking about it.
If it was any other time of the year, I would have it by now, but because hunting season is about here[lots of licenses, ammo, motels, and gas], I have to figure on how much hot water that I am will to be in on the home front. Mad
I will let you guys know.
Thanks for all of the info. If I don't get this pistol, I will be getting a .45 Long Colt this winter.

Eric Laughing

#13: Re: Recycled Brass $$$$$ Author: ElyBoyLocation: Forest Lake Minnesota PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:57 pm
    ----
Well, here goes.
I went back to Gander tonight to take another look at the pistol.
This time I held it, and took a lot of time with it.
The Pistol is definitely Uberti Hombre.
The Gander boys have it labeled as a Uberti Millennium. Typical Gander knowledge.
The bore, and cylinder looks to me like the gun hasn't even been shot.
They want $179.00. Uberti's web page lists the gun as new for $325.00.
Is this a deal that I can't pass up, or, should I just forget about it, and get one next winter??
I'm just not that knowledgeable about Cowboy Guns, and this gun in particular.
Normally, I pretty much know what I'm doing, and can make a quick decision.
This one has me scratching my head. wtf wtf
Any advice and/or help from you guys??

Eric Confused Confused Confused

#14: Re: Recycled Brass $$$$$ Author: GroovyJackLocation: Bama PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:12 pm
    ----
I'll say right up front , I know nuttin of Uberti , but I know Beretta ..

It has one redeeming quality , its a 45 Colt , definite weakness on my part for 45 Colts ..

If it were me ....

I'd spend a few extra dollars and get either the Vaquero or BlackHawk ..

#15: Re: Recycled Brass $$$$$ Author: ElyBoyLocation: Forest Lake Minnesota PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:36 pm
    ----
Thanks Jack, that does it for me.
I have been looking at the Vaquero for a while, and I will pass on this one, and pick up the Vaquero in the Winter.

Eric

-> General