Central TX free hunting land?
-> Big Game Hunting

#1: Central TX free hunting land? Author: 84jeepj10Location: Ft. Hood, TX PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:03 pm
    ----
I'm stationed at Ft Hood, TX and am trying to find some good deer hunting land within a 3hr drive of here (area code 76544 or 76541)that's free or REAL cheap. I'd like to hunt long rifle but will most certainly like to hunt archery too. I like to stalk and shoot preferred to sitting in a stand (bad back, need to get up and around once and awhile). I'm of a limited budget. Any ideas?
As I stated I've got a bad back, some of yall know I recently had major back surgery. So I can't get up and down the hills and up and down stands like I used too. As well I also won't be able to hike all day long to get somewhere and have to drag my game miles and miles back, but I'll try if it means deer-steaks on the table or not. Wink

#2: Re: Central TX free hunting land? Author: jeh7mmmagLocation: DFW, TX. PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:19 am
    ----
84jeepj10
Texas has very little PUBLIC lands (01%). Here are some idea. Good luck. Very Happy

Look at the Fort Hood hunting program and other military bases.
Look at TXPWLD site:
1.Annual drawing hunts-cheap and a great program.
2. Look at Annual Public lands permits $48.00 and lot of place around state.

Check the Army Corp. of Engineers site for numerous properties.
Brazos River Authority. Lower Colorado River Authority. National Forest in East Texas.

www.texashuntingforum....omsearch=1

texasdaylease.com/inde...ion=recent

www.swf-wc.usace.army....unting.htm

www.fs.fed.us/r8/texas...info.shtml

www.fs.fed.us/r8/texas/

www.tpwd.state.tx.us/h...nt/public/

www.tpwd.state.tx.us/h...ng_system/

www.tpwd.state.tx.us/h..._contents/

www.towma.org/cgi-bin/...=354&y=158

www.ttha.com/extravaganza.asp

www.texasboars.com/anatomy.html

here are some more

www2.tpwd.state.tx.us/...em/search/

www.fs.fed.us/r8/texas...ases.shtml

Last edited by jeh7mmmag on Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:36 pm; edited 2 times in total

#3: Re: Central TX free hunting land? Author: 84jeepj10Location: Ft. Hood, TX PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:51 am
    ----
Thanks for the info. Public land around here is all archery or shotgun. It's surprisingly expensive to hunt on Ft hood with buying land access permits and other permits. In order to hunt rifle you have to go on a 'guided' hunt. This consists of a volunteer 'guide' driving you out to a permanent stand and dropping you off a little ways away to hike in, then you have to meet them back at that point later on. Oh and they drive by to check on you for lunch and other times. I've heard that you can get some good deer doin that but only if you draw the right stand location and it's few and far between. I am considering doing archery though as I believe you can spot and stalk that way and it's cheaper.
I'll check out those sites you listed. Thanks.

#4: Re: Central TX free hunting land? Author: jeh7mmmagLocation: DFW, TX. PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:12 am
    ----
84jeepj10

Give TXPWLD a phone call 1800 792 1112 and visit with them. They will always help you get started. Order there free drawing booklet and go to local office and look at public lands map. If you are still active, or you are service related disablity you got a free license coming.
Thanks for your service.
Give me a call if you want to. Pm for phone number. Very Happy I got some leads on free hunts for DAV.
James

-> Big Game Hunting