Archery season is almost here.
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> Primitive Weapons Hunting

#1: Archery season is almost here. Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:57 am
    ----
Our archery season starts Sep 15th. I have bin trying to shoot fairly often this past month, now I'll try and shoot twice as much Smile . Ya can't ever shoot to much. I just re fletched some gold tips, got sharp blades in the muzzys, gonna move some stands around ( soon hopefully ) and should be in good shape come opening day Very Happy . Who else is gettin ready for archery ?
Joe

#2: Re: Archery season is almost here. Author: ElyBoyLocation: Forest Lake Minnesota PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:26 pm
    ----
Minnesota's Archery Season starts the same date as your's Joe.
I saw the owner of the land where I hunt at Mass the other day, and she said that groups of 10 and 15 deer have been traveling under my stand daily.
No doubt that they will check their calenders and choose another route to travel come mid-Sept.
All that I need is a stupid deer to go under my stand anyways.
I'm not fussy.

Good luck and have a safe hunting season.

Eric

#3: Re: Archery season is almost here. Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:30 pm
    ----
Good luck to you as well Very Happy . Hopefully we will both run into sum dumb deer Very Happy .
Joe

#4: Re: Archery season is almost here. Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:33 pm
    ----
Archery Elk starts here on the 22nd I think it is, I've been shooting in the back yard and getting back into the rhythm of things. Elk are showing up at my spring with more and more bulls (spikes) showing up:

(Last week, 3mb movie)
www.huntingnut.com/ima.../turns.AVI

Utah is weird in that you have to draw the trophy bull tags, or you can buy a rifle spike elk tag or an archery tag which is spike or cow. My dad drew trophy bull this year after 15 years of applying so he gets to hunt in the peak of the rut with his rifle. I want to shoot a spike but with a bow, I'm more than happy to shoot a cow.

Bought me a Trekker T200 popup blind that was on sale the other day pretty cheap. I'll be setting it up right behind where my TrailCam is located. I'm excited to see how this season shakes out.

-DallanC

#5: Re: Archery season is almost here. Author: ElyBoyLocation: Forest Lake Minnesota PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:13 am
    ----
I've hunted Elk, but not during bugling season.
It is a dream of mine to hunt early like you are going to do Dallan.
Good luck to You and your Dad also.

Eric

#6: Re: Archery season is almost here. Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:40 pm
    ----
Best of luck to you and your dad with the elk Dallan Very Happy . Razz What did ya put on your camera it looks like those elk are trying to eat it Razz Cool video
Joe

#7: Re: Archery season is almost here. Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:44 pm
    ----
shrpshtrjoe wrote:
Best of luck to you and your dad with the elk Dallan Very Happy . Razz What did ya put on your camera it looks like those elk are trying to eat it Razz Cool video
Joe

Nothing, they just go nuts over the smell of plastic. I bought an external battery for this new camera (StealthCam I450) but they tore the industrial strength box loose (tore the D-Rings off the side of the case), then proceeded to break it open and scatter the contents all over the place.

I built a new backing for the camera to sit on, decending from the backing is 1" flex conduit that I slide the power wire up into. I built a "cage" out of 3/8" rebar that the battery pack now goes into, and the cage is chained to the tree. The flex conduit is hooked to the cage via hoseclamps and I ran heavy rope spirally around and up the tree to keep them from pulling the conduit loose.

No problems so far! But its not from a lack of trying from the elk.

My battery "cage":

Heres what it looks like in the field. I stacked some logs and brush over the battery to keep them out of it more, but they still go in and dismantle the brush pile from time to time.

-DallanC

#8: Re: Archery season is almost here. Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:30 pm
    ----
You have come up with some good ideas to protect your camera. Around here we protect the cameras from theives and you have to protect yours from the animals your filming Very Happy
Joe

#9: Re: Archery season is almost here. Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:26 pm
    ----
That is a pretty good looking set up Dallan. I have never heard of anybody using cameras over here for hunting so its interesting to see what you guys have.

Have you thought about a simple Arc Mesh cover for everything? You could peg it to the ground or tree and keep everything out of reach of the elk, although from the sounds of things their chewin' gear sounds as strong as bolt cutters Laughing .

shrpshtrjoe wrote:
Around here we protect the cameras from theives
Joe, I can think of ways to slow down the thieves, but unfortunately locks etc only keep honest people out. How do you achieve security with your camera?

Cheers, Vince

#10: Re: Archery season is almost here. Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:39 pm
    ----
shrpshtrjoe wrote:
You have come up with some good ideas to protect your camera. Around here we protect the cameras from theives and you have to protect yours from the animals your filming Very Happy
Joe

Oh man, let me tell you its a constant battle! I know a guy with bear problems but hes even admitted elk are worse than bears! Heres what happened the first week I put out my new camera:

Camera muddy but in tact!

This was the D-Ring that held! The other side was completely torn off!

This was my new $40 external battery pack... wait, where is the BATTERTY???

Battery located, 10 yards from the camera, stomped in the mud.

Now you understand why I'm going to such great lengths to protect the camera. I had to move my Bushnell out of the area, they tore it off the tree and messed it up pretty bad. I had built an external battery with solar charger but they tore all of the wiring out while dismantling it.

I'm going to kill one of these things out of vengance!!! Twisted Evil

-DallanC

#11: Re: Archery season is almost here. Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:11 am
    ----
Vince wrote:

Joe, I can think of ways to slow down the thieves, but unfortunately locks etc only keep honest people out. How do you achieve security with your camera/
Cheers, Vince

Hey Vince how ya doin buddy,I don't have a camera but my buddy does and we hunt some of the same places so I use his on occasion. We just use a cable and lock but as you said it will only keep the honest thief out Sad .
Joe

Quote::
Quote::
Dallan wrote
Oh man, let me tell you its a constant battle! I know a guy with bear problems but hes even admitted elk are worse than bears! Heres what happened the first week I put out my new camera

Man they are hard on your stuff Dallan 8-O. Laughing Sorry buddy I can't help but laugh It's amazing what animals can tear up. You have to out think them before the season even starts. It won't be long and you can get some revenge Smile
Joe

#12: Re: Archery season is almost here. Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:50 pm
    ----
shrpshtrjoe wrote:

Hey Vince how ya doin buddy,I don't have a camera but my buddy does and we hunt some of the same places so I use his on occasion. We just use a cable and lock but as you said it will only keep the honest thief out Sad .
Joe Man they are hard on your stuff Dallan 8-O. Laughing Sorry buddy I can't help but laugh It's amazing what animals can tear up. You have to out think them before the season even starts. It won't be long and you can get some revenge Smile

I'm cruisin' Joe, albeit very slowly at the moment. My daughter bought one of those winter bugs home from work and right now I feel sicker than 10 men. Very Happy Laughing Don't agree with the Muslim ways of doin' things, but I reckon that cutting a thieves hand off would be a good deterent. My brother somehow wired his shed with a 12 volt battery and car coil....60k volts....made them think twice.

Dallan wrote:
Oh man, let me tell you its a constant battle! I know a guy with bear problems but hes even admitted elk are worse than bears! Heres what happened the first week I put out my new camera

Now here's a thought Dallan. My daughter uses a solar powered electric fence to pen her horses sometimes. It wasn't expensive and works really well. The things you want to keep away from the critters can be enclosed within the fence. Check out this website for more info.

Aussie Made Electric Fencing

As Joe said.....revenge is sweet. Very Happy Laughing

Cheers, Vince

#13: Re: Archery season is almost here. Author: Rick_Teal PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:41 pm
    ----
My archery moose hunt starts on Sept. 15, we're heading up on the 13th so we're ready to go on the opener. Our gang is made up of 6 old f*rts, but we have a bull and a cow tag, and lots of hope. Five of us shoot crossbows, and one uses a vertical bow.

#14: Re: Archery season is almost here. Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:18 pm
    ----
Best of luck to you and your group Rick. Shoot a bunch Very Happy
Joe

#15: Re: Archery season is almost here. Author: glockman55Location: Michigan PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:47 pm
    ----
Joe, how did you do on the opener? Ours isn't till Oct. 1st. I've been shooting all summer. Did some more scouting today, and set up a couple of tree stands..I'm getting excited. Good luck to all of you..

-> Primitive Weapons Hunting