Arizona deer draw
-> Big Game Hunting

#1: Arizona deer draw Author: Arizona Hunter PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:12 pm
    ----
No tag for me this year (or cow elk) Sad . I guess I'll either go and hunt Northern MN with my brothers or stay in AZ and see if I can hit any quail with my 12 ga. and also do some predator calling.

These things are still fun (but hard to fill the freezer this way), but things could be worse, right?

#2: Re: Arizona deer draw Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:09 pm
    ----
Sorry ya didn't get your tags. Thats good you have the option to hunt with your brothers though, never no ya might get a bruiser in MN Very Happy
Joe

#3: Re: Arizona deer draw Author: HandloaderLocation: Phoenix, Arizona PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:00 pm
    ----
Arizona Hunter: last year AZ G&F had unfilled tags that were offered first come first given. Watch for an announcement soon. I got one last year and it was a great hunt.

This year I got a Unit 29, 1st choice. Coues, of course. 29 is one of toughest units I have ever hunted and I love it. I am still on my quest for a 125+ class Coues buck.

Landholder tags are available in New Mexico and while they cost more, depending on the rancher, they may be less expensive than other options.

Out of state and over the counter tags are available, the last time I checked, in Idaho.

Onward and good luck.

#4: Re: Arizona deer draw Author: trackerLocation: Manitoba, Canada PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:44 am
    ----
Minnesota would be a good choice too, just remember that ElyBoy is skulking around out there somwhere Very Happy Very Happy

#5: Re: Arizona deer draw Author: minerfileLocation: St. Johns, AZ PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:50 pm
    ----
Drew my unit 16A tag, NW AZ around Kingman. There's a ton of tags in that unit but what the heck, it's huntin'.

#6: Re: Arizona deer draw Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:40 pm
    ----
minerfile wrote:
Drew my unit 16A tag, NW AZ around Kingman. There's a ton of tags in that unit but what the heck, it's huntin'.

"unit 16A tag"....what does this mean? Is it the only area you are allowed to hunt, or is it the animal?

Cheers, Vince

#7: Re: Arizona deer draw Author: HandloaderLocation: Phoenix, Arizona PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:59 am
    ----
Vince: many states are subdivided into game units to allow more precise management of big game. When one applies for a tag for elk, deer, antelope, big horn, etal, it is always for a specific game unit. Those units define the number of tags allocated based on sustained game populations, periodic game surveys and hunter success ratios.

Some states have general big game tags for elk or deer which allows the holder to hunt statewide in general hunt units. These are sold over the counter, first come, first served, until the limited supply is gone. If one has a general tag and wishes to hunt to limited or trophy area, then the tag is entered for that unit's draw. If unsuccessful in the draw, the tag remains valid for the general hunt units.

#8: Re: Arizona deer draw Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:31 pm
    ----
Thanks Handloader, makes sense now.

As I said, I was unsure if it was the area or the animal ie, valid for 1 doe and 1 buck only or similar, or maybe even a specific date and animal sex.

Cheers mate.

Vince

-> Big Game Hunting