cold snap
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> General

#16: Re: cold snap Author: CrackshotLocation: Mich PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:36 am
    ----
Its sure cold here! Right now its 12 degrees out side and the wind is blowing hard so the wind chill is real low. Hunting? Not today friend!

#17: Re: cold snap Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:56 pm
    ----
Best part about the cold weather is the effect it has on the calisivirus over here. This virus absolutely decimates the rabbit population....its much worse than mixamatosis. When the rabbit catches the virus it goes underground and dies.

The cold weather reduces the effect of the calisivirus. Now, the farmers, environmentalists and CSIRO aren't happy with this, but those of us that love rabbit shooting are very happy. Not only that, but I enjoy eating rabbit too.

Cheers, Vince

#18: Re: cold snap Author: 1895ssLocation: Not Here...!! PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:03 pm
    ----
It's not cold out.......! It's only 0F to +10F. If it was -30F to -40F with a wind, then it would be cold. Smile

Vince are you sure those rabbits are safe to eat? Surprised

#19: Re: cold snap Author: yotebusterLocation: Georgia PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:40 am
    ----
Don't mean to be rubbing it in, just to illustrate how much difference another part of the country can make. High today was a sunny 67 and low tonight is 35. In 8 weeks we will be in full bloom with Dogwoods and azaleas painting a beautiful spring landscape. Sorry to hear about those cold extremes. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Yotebuster Very Happy

#20: Re: cold snap Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:17 am
    ----
Yotebuster...They have a place for you......

#21: Re: cold snap Author: moose2Location: North Idaho PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:17 am
    ----
1895ss wrote:
It's not cold out.......! It's only 0F to +10F. If it was -30F to -40F with a wind, then it would be cold. Smile

I have to side with 1895ss on this one--tr

#22: Re: cold snap Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:58 pm
    ----
1895ss wrote:

Yes mate...so long as you know what to look for. With the calisivirus you don't get to the rabbits cause as soon as they have it they are gone....underground and don't come back out. Mixamatosis is different in that it makes the rabbit sluggish, then blind so they can't find food and they die what I consider to be a most unpleasant death......they are so debilitated that you can walk up to them and pick them up. I usually walk up and either kick them real hard in the head or smack them hard with a lump of wood....puts them out of their misery.

Only other problem that you may encounter with the rabbits is hydatids but that again is fairly easy to identify.

Cheers, Vince

#23: Re: cold snap Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:19 pm
    ----
Geezz...Glad I don't like rabbit. If I did I wouldn't now..."lump of wood". I've heard of lumpin' over the head with a stick or club, but a limp of.... Very Happy

Last edited by Bushmaster on Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

#24: Re: cold snap Author: 1895ssLocation: Not Here...!! PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:21 pm
    ----
Well looky here Vince, here's the calicivirus............... nasty stuff! Shocked
www.science.org.au/nov...001key.htm

Interesting................ Shocked

www.rguppy.freeserve.c...0sheet.htm

Where did myxomatosis come from?
Originally, myxomatosis was imported from Brazil (where it was first discovered in the 1930's) to Australia in 1950.this was to control the massive populations of rabbits in that sub-continent. In Brazil, the cotton Tailed rabbit (Sylvilagus) is affected by the disease to a minor degree as only tiny lumps are produced by this self-limiting disease. However, in Australia the disease was devastating and markedly reduced the rabbit population.

#25: Re: cold snap Author: moose2Location: North Idaho PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:52 pm
    ----
1895ss wrote:
Well looky here Vince, here's the calicivirus............... nasty stuff! Shocked
www.science.org.au/nov...001key.htm

Interesting................ Shocked

www.rguppy.freeserve.c...0sheet.htm

Where did myxomatosis come from?
Originally, myxomatosis was imported from Brazil (where it was first discovered in the 1930's) to Australia in 1950.this was to control the massive populations of rabbits in that sub-continent. In Brazil, the cotton Tailed rabbit (Sylvilagus) is affected by the disease to a minor degree as only tiny lumps are produced by this self-limiting disease. However, in Australia the disease was devastating and markedly reduced the rabbit population.
Dang it guys. I like eating rabbit. Now I don't know if I can ever eat one again. Confused --tr

#26: Re: cold snap Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:57 pm
    ----
That's what I been saying Moose2...

#27: Re: cold snap Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:01 pm
    ----
Moose,

You only live once is my theory so I'll keep eating rabbit. Laughing

Dimitri

#28: Re: cold snap Author: fireball 3Location: northern calif PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:06 pm
    ----
well out here in sunny calif. it's raing and it's suppose to for the next 4 days . I ,myself, love cold weather. You can always bundle up or cuddle up and get a little warmer. But when your hot your hot atleast that's what Jerry Reed say's in his song. Very Happy Very Happy Dave

#29: Re: cold snap Author: bodyalterLocation: Central Minnesota PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:48 pm
    ----
tell ya what fireball, send me some of that heat and rain and I'll send you some -23f cold.

#30: Re: cold snap Author: fireball 3Location: northern calif PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:00 pm
    ----
Very Happy here in Ca. we have to hunt jack in the winter cause in the summer they are rancid and have boils. I love to go grey hunting in the winter cause the fur is great for tying nymphs and shrimp flys. Dave Laughing

-> General