How do you count the rack points on deer where you live?
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> Big Game Hunting

#1: How do you count the rack points on deer where you live? Author: GrantLocation: Grande Prairie, Alberta PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:37 pm
    ----
I've heard people from different places refer to the point count on deer differently than in BC. I was wonder how people count them elsewhere. Here in BC, we count the points on one side above the brow tine. So even though one Mule deer I shot had four points both sides and two nice 4 inch brow tines, it was still considered a 4 point buck. Then if you get a non typical you call them a 4x3 or 5x4 still not counting the brow tines.

Four Point Buck

#2: Re: How do you count the rack points on deer where you live? Author: 1895ssLocation: Not Here...!! PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:11 am
    ----
The Mule Deer in your photo would be a 4x4 here as well. On Mule deer the brow tines are not counted and they often do not have brow tines. If it was a Whitetail then the brow tines are counted and it would be a 5x5.

#3: Re: How do you count the rack points on deer where you live? Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:21 am
    ----
Its crazy... most places do not count eyeguards. Some people do and its called "Wyoming count". Boone and Crocket does count them on the score sheet. The deer I shot 2 years ago has 2 different points *on* one of the eye guards going backwards... do I count those? LOL! The opposite antler has a 3" point going back over the right ear.

/shrug

-DallanC

#4: Re: How do you count the rack points on deer where you live? Author: 1895ssLocation: Not Here...!! PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:49 am
    ----
Dallan, I think the reason the brow tines(eye guards) are not counted on Mule Deer is like I said they often don't have any. You are correct in that they are counted when scoring, if they are present of course.

You might find this interesting.............

blog.kingsoutdoorworld...005/10/28/

#5: Re: How do you count the rack points on deer where you live? Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:57 am
    ----
West Cost of US count the same as Grant in BC hence my 3 point Blacktail posted on another string.

#6: Re: How do you count the rack points on deer where you live? Author: MoraxLocation: Pittsburgh Pa PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:34 am
    ----
here in pa they count the brow.. anything that you can hang a ring on is classified as a point.. but i usually count them as 1,2,3, tail flag and gone...

#7: Re: How do you count the rack points on deer where you live? Author: GrantLocation: Grande Prairie, Alberta PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:05 pm
    ----
Of coarse growing up learning this way to count deer points, I was blown away when I heard someone on a hunting TV show say got a 12 point buck. I said to myself, "Holly Crap, 24 total points on that buck, it must be friggin huge, new world record or something" Then when they showed it, I looked and went, "wait a minute, that's only a five point? What the hell?"......LOL

Even our regulations count them that way. Our "Big Buck Season", 4 points or better on one side above the brow tine. Couple of rather decent bucks have got away from me cause they were showing me the three point side and I couldn't be sure of the other in the early morning light. Oh well, that's why they call it hunting and not killing.

#8: Re: How do you count the rack points on deer where you live? Author: skb2706 PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:22 pm
    ----
I grew up counting only one side and the browtines if they exceed one inch...thats the way the DOW counts them too.
We don't count both sides...they only do that in places with little deer.

#9: Re: How do you count the rack points on deer where you live? Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:46 pm
    ----
skb2706 wrote:
I grew up counting only one side and the browtines if they exceed one inch...thats the way the DOW counts them too.

Thats an interesting point. My wife shot a 3pt mule deer 1 year with a eyeguard on one side... we stopped at the F&G checking station and they recorded it as a 3x4. There is alot of inconsistancy to it.

No-one's answered my question though... do I get to count the 2pts coming off of the eyeguard on my deer? Very Happy

-DallanC

#10: Re: How do you count the rack points on deer where you live? Author: 1895ssLocation: Not Here...!! PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:02 pm
    ----
DallanC wrote:

No-one's answered my question though... do I get to count the 2pts coming off of the eyeguard on my deer? Very Happy
-DallanC

I will stick my neck out and say no if you are scoring him as typical because they are abnormal points and as such are a deduction. Laughing

#11: Re: How do you count the rack points on deer where you live? Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:10 pm
    ----
Howdy. I have always counted brow tines and anything ya can hang a ring on.
Dallan I would agree with 1895ss

Joe

#12: Re: How do you count the rack points on deer where you live? Author: GrantLocation: Grande Prairie, Alberta PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:21 pm
    ----
I'm thinkin you can count then Dallan

#13: Re: How do you count the rack points on deer where you live? Author: 1895ssLocation: Not Here...!! PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:39 pm
    ----
This is from a Boone and Crocket Typical Mule Deer score sheet.......
www.boone-crockett.org...+Blacktail

E: TOTAL LENGTHS OF ALL ABNORMAL POINTS
Abnormal points are those non-typical in location such as points originating from a point (exception: G-3 originates from G-2 in perfectly normal fashion) or from bottom or sides of main beam, or any points beyond the normal pattern of five (including beam tip) per antler. Measure in the usual manner (See Figure A). If there are more than five abnormal points to a side, add them together and input in the last field.

#14: Re: How do you count the rack points on deer where you live? Author: glockman55Location: Michigan PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:19 am
    ----
Of course in Mich. with whitetail we count everything, a 4X4 is an Eight point here, or if it had brow tines too it would be a 10 point.. But We do count our Elk as the rest of the country...6X6 , maybe if we had Mule deer it would be the same, who knows. Where do you think the phrase turdy two pointer come from? Very Happy

#15: Re: How do you count the rack points on deer where you live? Author: skb2706 PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:21 am
    ----
DallanC wrote:
skb2706 wrote:

Thats an interesting point. My wife shot a 3pt mule deer 1 year with a eyeguard on one side... we stopped at the F&G checking station and they recorded it as a 3x4. There is alot of inconsistancy to it.

-DallanC

Don't know if B&C would count it but in CO if the point exceeds one inch it is counted for legal purposes. We have several elk/deer seasons that have antler point restrictions.

-> Big Game Hunting