60 grain .22 long rifle
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> Small Game Hunting

#16: Re: 60 grain .22 long rifle Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:51 pm
    ----
I tried the 60 grain .22s in a SIG Mosquito. I was impressed with how hard they hit and how sideways they were when they went through a paper target!

#17: Re: 60 grain .22 long rifle Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:06 am
    ----
Elvis...you aren't thinking of the Winchester branded "Rabbit Ammo" are you mate? That stuff was excellent. Unfortunately we don't seem to be able to get it anymore.

I use Winchester Power Points in my .22 rimfire hunting rifle and it loves them. For my single shot it thrives on the Remington Sub Sonics...shoots brilliant groups and is fairly quiet.

If you want a nice quiet ammo, then have a look at Winchester ZZ Long...now they are really quiet out of a rifle, but they still hit hard.

Cheers, Vince

#18: Re: 60 grain .22 long rifle Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:16 pm
    ----
No Vince it was deffanitly Aussie ammo it even had a picture of that lovely country of yours on the box. rabbit ammo was good but not as good.

#19: Re: 60 grain .22 long rifle Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:46 pm
    ----

Perhaps Elvis ??

Either way 10 to 1 says Olin makes it.

Dimitri

#20: Re: 60 grain .22 long rifle Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:20 am
    ----
The Bushman ammo is brilliant 'Mitri. I used it for years until I decided to give the Power Point a go.

There has been a few different types of rimfire ammo made here in Australia that have been pretty good ammo. Main reason for that is, from before WW I every house, farm or property outside the main city areas had at least one .22 rifle sitting in the kitchen. It was only after the First World War that larger centrefire rifles (.303 Lee Enfields) became common. Prior to that the only centrefires you would see were the Martini Cadet in .310 or a few Winchester lever guns...usually in 32.20 Win.

Cheers, Vince

#21: Re: 60 grain .22 long rifle Author: sniperLocation: Utah PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:40 pm
    ----
To keep this going, someone on another forum modified the SSS 60 gr. rounds by cutting them off at the front band, which made the round ~ a 53-54gr. He had some success with it, and it stabilized much better in his guns. They were said to be very effective.

I would like to see (I know, dream on...) a .22 LR 50 gr. With an effective hollow point, loaded to 1000 fps. (subsonic) That should be a real thumper.

Actually, I guess I could just buy some Winchester Rim Fire (WRF) ammo. It has about the velocity necessary, and a 45 gr. bullet, too.

WRONG,WRONG, WRONG!!! Shocked Bonk No, it won't! WRF WILL NOT! chamber in .22 Long Rifle guns. NoNo It will chamber in .22 magnum firearms, though. Sorry for the wrong info, folks! Embarassed

-> Small Game Hunting