Wifes dad diagnosted with cancer
-> General

#1: Wifes dad diagnosted with cancer Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:34 pm
    ----
Well crap.

Wife got the call last night her dad was in the hospital with a possible stroke... as the hours drug on they confirmed the stroke and after an MRI they discovered a bleeding tumor in his brain. While running additional tests today to prepare for tomorrows brain surgery, they discovered more cancer in his lungs... melanoma they say. So even if the brain surgery goes well he has 6-12 months left to live.

Very depressing as he is a really neat down to earth likeable guy.

-DallanC

#2: Re: Wifes dad diagnosted with cancer Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:44 pm
    ----
Sorry to hear this Dallan, Sad

I hope all will go well and the doctors figure something out to get rid of the cancer Very Happy They can do some amazing things nowadays. Smile

Dimitri

#3: Re: Wifes dad diagnosted with cancer Author: george20042007Location: Arizona PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:55 pm
    ----
I too am sorry to hear of the cancer report. I'm still amazed that after all these years, we still don't have a gauranteed way of dealing with it. I wouldn't give up on it though, we can still pray for his recovery.
Keep it coming...

#4: Re: Wifes dad diagnosted with cancer Author: popgunLocation: Mitchell, GA, U.S.A. (2007 pop. 191) PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:27 am
    ----
I understand, Pam and I are going through the same thing with her mother. She has been fighting the fight for almost 5 years now and has undergone the treatments too many times to count now. But she hangs tough and mental attitude has everything to do with how long you stay on this good earth. We will add your father-in-law to our prayer list.

Everyone involved has to hang tough too. Crying does not help but a positive attitude does.

Try to avoid the quacks, quack treatments, weird diets, etc. etc. etc. If the ideas sound screwy they are a waste of time in our experience.

#5: Re: Wifes dad diagnosted with cancer Author: SwampFoxLocation: Destin, Florida PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:49 am
    ----
Dallan,
Our prayers are with you and the family.

Lost my #1 hunting buddy a year ago last Saturday, to cancer. He lived 8 months from diagnosis. It was pretty tough on his wife and four kids. His oldest daughter had just turned 17 two weeks before.

Please ask your family to contact a hospice orginization near the home, for home care. The volunteers are great and they do have all the answers. Hospice can be a God sent help to the care givers who must now prepare. In most instance their services are free.
Ed

#6: Re: Wifes dad diagnosted with cancer Author: tbox61Location: Great Bend, KS PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:25 am
    ----
Dallan,
Our thoughts and prayers are with you--
Tim

#7: Re: Wifes dad diagnosted with cancer Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:15 pm
    ----
He just came out of surgery. They were able to remove what they believe is all of the tumor in his brain. He is smiling and acknowledging people supposedly so it appears the surgery went as good as can be expected. They tested the mass and it was malignant, they will start him on chemotherapy.

-DallanC

#8: Re: Wifes dad diagnosted with cancer Author: yotebusterLocation: Georgia PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:46 pm
    ----
He and your family will be in our thoughts and prayers. It's going to take everyone being strong to weather this situation. Keep up a positive attitude and do what you can for him.
Yotebuster Very Happy

#9: Re: Wifes dad diagnosted with cancer Author: CrackshotLocation: Mich PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:43 pm
    ----
Dallan, We lost my Father in law 2 years ago to cancer, I am very sorry to hear of your troubles, Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

#10: Re: Wifes dad diagnosted with cancer Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:36 am
    ----
Dallan,
let your wife know that her dad and the whole family is in our prayers. It may be her dad's time but prayers can help the family to say goodbye too. a death is the hardest on those who are left behind. Her dad is going home but his family has to learn to deal with not having him around anymore. If we can do anything let us know.

#11: Re: Wifes dad diagnosed with cancer Author: Gil MartinLocation: Schnecksville, PA PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:27 pm
    ----
Dallan,
I am very sorry to hear about your father-in-law. My prayers are with your family and him. All the best...
Gil

#12: Re: Wifes dad diagnosted with cancer Author: RPM1031Location: College Park, Georgia PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:32 am
    ----
Dallan, I'm so sorry to hear of your families' trouble. I hope you have people to talk things out with. It helps to have someone to lisen or just hang out with when it feels like it's too much to deal with. Will pray for him, you and your wife, the families and friends.

#13: Re: Wifes dad diagnosted with cancer Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:59 am
    ----
Dallan, Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this very troubling time. People have a way of overcoming these problems....my Dad did...he had a Merkel's Cell Tumour on the side of his face. The Dr said that he would most likely not survive the operation because of the type of tumour....that was about 6 years ago and he is still doing well at 89 years of age.

Which ever way it goes, PaulS gives sage advice. Make the most of the time available and don't treat him like an invalid...he will enjoy his remaining days better for that.

Once again, our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family for his swift and speedy recovery.

Cheers, Vince

-> General