Bitten again
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#1: Bitten again Author: roklokLocation: Fairbanks, Alaska PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:30 pm
    ----
I went down to the local Gander Mountain store today to get some small supplies for my upcoming trip to Alaska.I made the mistake of looking through the gunracks. There it was,a Winchester 70 Featherweight stainless walnut in 30-06. I had been looking for one at the local gunshops and had about given up.There seems to be a few around in the various WSMs and WSSMs but around here standard calibers seem hard to find. Well it left with me. Now I have working up a load and shooting it to look forward to after the academy. Other than my Garand I have never owned a 06,guess it was high time I added this classic caliber to my hunting rifle collection.

#2: Re: Bitten again Author: george20042007Location: Arizona PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:17 pm
    ----
Like you roklok, you have to keep me out of the gun stores. I was in Minot, ND visiting my son & family and went in to one of their stores. Saw a Stoeger Condor Supreme over/under 12 ga for under $500, had to have it. I like over/under's & this one has all the features the expensive ones do.

As for the 30-06, what can't it do? Great cartridge, & you got a great gun. I have a Browning BAR Safari in 30-06, never been dissappointed.
Keep it coming...

#3: Re: Bitten again Author: sniperLocation: Utah PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:16 pm
    ----
Well, Jeff Cooper is of the opinion if it can't be done with the 30 06, maybe it shouldn't be done. It sounds like you have yourself a keeper.
Is it going to Alaska with you? If not, I will be most happy to keep it in a good home so it doesn't get lonely all by itself! Very Happy

#4: Re: Bitten again Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:59 am
    ----
sniper wrote:
Well, Jeff Cooper is of the opinion if it can't be done with the 30 06, maybe it shouldn't be done. It sounds like you have yourself a keeper.
Is it going to Alaska with you? If not, I will be most happy to keep it in a good home so it doesn't get lonely all by itself! Very Happy

ha ha ha....well said sniper old mate. However, join the queue. Very Happy Very Happy

Cheers, Vince

#5: Re: Bitten again Author: SwampFoxLocation: Destin, Florida PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:57 pm
    ----
You can take the 30-06 just about anywhere and feel dressed for the occasion.
Ed

#6: Re: Bitten again Author: Arizona Hunter PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:54 pm
    ----
In 1986 I got my first big game rifle, you guessed it a 30.06. A 1945 German Mauser with a "new" 30 year old sporter stock. Sold it 1988 and got another Muaser, Interarms Mark X in, of course 30.06 with synthetic stock.

Seems like no matter what state, or small town or country there is always 30.06 shells available, and that was one reason for getting one.

#7: Re: Bitten again Author: CrackshotLocation: Mich PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:03 pm
    ----
My Grandfather was in WWII, He said his Drill sargent told them when they were issued their 03 Springffields that "If you can see him, you can kill him" that pretty much sums up the old "06" for ya.

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions