Who's got the smallest?
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> Big Game Hunting

#16: Re: Who's got the smallest? Author: SpacedoneLocation: missouri PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:50 am
    ----
i was born in december of 1958. my grandparents raised me and my brother and sister in a small rural town in missouri. we lived in town with a dirt floor and a outhouse. my grandfather was a logger using early power gas chainsaws. he skidded logs using horses and loaded them using skid poles gut in the woods. with 5 people in the house he earned about 3000 dollars a year.
we were the poorest family in town. i grew up eating beans and cornbread and what ever game we could kill. gramps was a proud honest man who worked hard for his family. we fished in every [ond within walking distance and hunted the railroad tracks and the local woods where we could get permission to hunt.
i was taught to always obey the laws no matter what. we hunted every single game there was in season. we killed squirrels in the spring, rabbits and quail in the fall, deer in season. we dug groundhogs out of the ground in the winter and knocked them in the head, pigeons, crows and what ever else was legal to kill.
we ate polk greens in the spring. we picked berries when they were ripe. we put in a garden and canned every single thing we could grow.

i was taught that no matter how poor we were we were good honest people who helped anyone we could. hunting values were as important as any other values we had. gramps used to say "a man who will kill game out of season is a man you cant trust in yopur house or on your property."
yes we were poor but gramps was one of the most respected men in our area. he taught me how to shoot and fish and how hunting and fishing showed what kind of person you were. gramps died a year and a half ago and at his funeral were over 300 people. the richest people in town filled the funeral home. people he had did work for and people he didnt even know who knew of him.

there is no excuse to break the law hunting or fishing PERIOD! there is always some game in season year round. it may be carp in the river or gar. it might be rabbits or squirrels or groundhogs. heck it might be skunks {which arent really that bad to eat} it might be crows {also not to bad to eat} or pigeons. there is always some kind of game in season. there are wild greens ie polk or splatterdock or wild mustard greens and there is always beans to this day i cant eat beans which i had to eat every day of my childhood because we couldnt afford anything else.

people who cant obey the hunting laws are not welcome on my property.

people who will kill a deer out of season with a 22 are people you cant trust.

the anti gun people want to take our guns from us when we obey all laws as it is. when we as hunters shoot game out of season or use calibers that dont fit the game we are hunting then we prove to the world that the anti gun people are right. we should have our guns taken away from us.

it doesnt matter that a 22 will kill a elk if shot behind the ear at 100 yards, a 22 is not designed to kill elk PERIOD they are designed to kill small game. the same way it doesnt matter that a 50 cal bmg will kill rabbits at 1000 yards thats not what they are designed to do.

if you want to be immoral and shoot game either out of season or use a caliber thats not designed to kill the game your hunting then thats between you and the law or if your religious then its between you and your GOD.

but that doesnt mean i want to hear about it or read it on a hunting site which im sure dallan has here to help hunters and shooters.

just because the statute of limitaions has expired does not make it legal or moral it just means you admit to being a dishonest crimminal who got away with something.

dont like what i have to say then dont read my posts. ill tell you now im not impressed with the 100 yard elk shot with a 22, it just shows me someone i dont want on my property and really dont even want to see or talk to.

just because you can do something doesnt mean you should do something.

#17: Re: Who's got the smallest? Author: skb2706 PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:08 am
    ----
I would say.............get over it.......I was young, it was dumb, wouldn't do it again for any reason but the question was asked and the question was answered. Crying about it now is a waste of time and will change nothing.
I have read thru it a few times......none of it was "chest pounding braggin".

#18: Re: Who's got the smallest? Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:47 pm
    ----
Biggest Animal with the smallest caliber was a whitetail deer last fall (my first actually Very Happy ), I lost it though as it got dark with rain and couldnt track it. Sad Taught me a valuable lession, ether get a blue colored flashlight or not hunt that close to night, I'm fallowing option 2 for now till I get my tracking skills up. Smile

Caliber, well not really a caliber but a crossbow Alumium bolt, not too sure of the weight sorry.

This reminds me I'm going to be running around the forest in 2 weeks for a week on my vacation from college. Going to try to see if I can find tracks of game and fallow them the best I can Cool

Spacedone,

Your Grandfather sounds like a good man. Very Happy

Dimitri

#19: Re: Who's got the smallest? Author: SpacedoneLocation: missouri PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:54 pm
    ----
you broke the law

yopu posted you broke the law on a hunting site.

doesnt matter how young you were.

YOU BROKE THE LAW.

anti gun people dont care that you never break the law again. you had a gun and you killed a animal out of season and then told the world you did it.

you proved twice to the anti gun people they are right.

you broke the law and then you said "welp statute of limitations is out so pppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppphhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

you want to break the law. fine thats between you and your conservation agent and your morals.

you still shouldnt tell the world on a major yes major hunting site that you did so.

and you will never be welcome on my property to hunt.

#20: Re: Who's got the smallest? Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:13 pm
    ----
Statute of Limitations,

I dont know why they have that silly law myself Laughing We dont have that in Canada execpt for really "Petty Crimes" you know the ones that the judge orders you to do community service without a jury or anything and doesnt get put on your record as a "Criminal Act" Very Happy

Dimitri

#21: Re: Who's got the smallest? Author: glockman55Location: Michigan PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:53 am
    ----
I shot my first deer at the age of 12, in 1967 with a 410 single shot, slug of course. I still have the gun.

-> Big Game Hunting