Safety...on or off?
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  :| |:
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#31: Re: Safety...on or off? Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:45 pm
    ----
WOW...hasn't this thread stirred a hornet's nest.

OK, all my firearms are stored in their respective gun cabinet (I have more than one).

With bolt guns the bolts are removed and stored in a locked container in another locked safe. No bolts fitted, no need to worry about safety on or off. My lever gun is stored action closed to take the tension off the hammer spring. My O/U 12g shotgun is stored with barrels removed, cock released and barrel lock released...safety off. Both barrels and the buttstock are placed into separate, very pretty, classy looking gucci velvet bags for storage. The whole shebang is then locked into a carry box locked inside the gun cabinet. Have a couple of gun locks, but rarely use them.

When I had pistols they were stored in a separate safe. Revolvers no safety issues, semi-auto (Ruger Mk1 .22) stored with bolt fitted safety off...magazines stored elsewhere. TC Contender stored closed, action fired and safety off. Had a MTM Caseguard Pocket pouch (18 rounds) filled with a mixture of .357 Magnum 125gn HP and 158gn SP stored in the pistol safe as well. Not real sure why I had them there now....couldn't use them. All disposed off now so no longer an issue.

All ammo, with the exception of the .357 Mag above, is stored in another locked safe along with all powders and primers.

In the field, when I am not actually hunting....hunting finished for the day, sitting around the camp fire, eating etc, all firearms are stored in their respective gun bag with bolts closed, uncocked and safety off, empty (no ammo in mag).

Safety is paramount at all times. Even the keys for my gun cabinets are locked inside a keysafe and the key for that is locked away.

Every gun regardless is treated as if it is loaded. My father was shot with an "unloaded" .22 rifle when he was a young fella. He was very lucky to survive it.

Cheers, Vince

#32: Re: Safety...on or off? Author: george20042007Location: Arizona PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:10 am
    ----
You know Vince, we may have stirred up something here, but, I find it real interesting. Lots of good ideas though. Smile
Keep it coming...

#33: Re: Safety...on or off? Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:02 am
    ----
george20042007 wrote:
You know Vince, we may have stirred up something here, but, I find it real interesting. Lots of good ideas though. Smile
Keep it coming...

True enough George. It was through these Forums that I learnt that something I WAS doing was in fact breaching the laws of safety....something I will never do again.

Cheers, Vince

#34: Re: Safety...on or off? Author: Deleted_User_2665 PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:27 pm
    ----
I think I was the one that riled 'ol Spacecase 'cause I got on him about spottin' with a rifle scope.......

Fact.........there are zero good excuses for unsafe gun handling practices or unsafe hunting practices......
That's a REAL WORLD fact.......

If you don't like the truth of that matter then well...
I guess you can kiss my azz.......

Every gun should be treated as if it was loaded......Period.

As for the reference to me being implied as a city boy well then
you need to come on out here and get a
lesson in backwoods manners......

Here's my neighborhood......maybe you'll get the picture.

Lets see.....not a city for as far as I can see...

I was bred and born to the sticks darn near half a century ago and although I am NEVER out of reach of a weapon....
I've also never feared for my life enough to ignore good gun safety....

'Course practice makes perfect and I insist on my own perfectionism......to fend off the boogy men, gobblins and spooks...........

#35: Re: Safety...on or off? Author: kbisLocation: East, Texas PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:06 pm
    ----
Sure is pretty country, never been to NY, hard to believe it is like that as I sit here watching CSI; NY Smile

#36: Re: Safety...on or off? Author: george20042007Location: Arizona PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:29 pm
    ----
Gotta tell you wildswalker, those winter pictures is what drove me to Arizona. I left behind my lawn mower & snowblower. Both were replaced with what's in my gun safe Very Happy

And you're right, treat all guns as though they are loaded. And this thread has brought out some interesting things as well as people.

Keep it coming...

#37: Re: Safety...on or off? Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:20 am
    ----
Looky there. They grow trees in rows.. Very Happy ..Speaking of mountains...I'm off to the mountains with one of my horses for the next 4 days. See ya when I get back...

#38: Re: Safety...on or off? Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:49 am
    ----
Bushmaster wrote:
Looky there. They grow trees in rows.. Very Happy ..Speaking of mountains...I'm off to the mountains with one of my horses for the next 4 days. See ya when I get back...

Hey Bushy. I hope you guys (yourself and Cutter) have a great time in the mountains. You do of course realise that I am totally green with envy. I can't afford to get away at the moment. Our trip to Sydney for the funeral pert near cleaned me out for a while.

Cheers, Vince

#39: Re: Safety...on or off? Author: Deleted_User_2665 PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:30 pm
    ----
kbis wrote:
Sure is pretty country, never been to NY, hard to believe it is like that as I sit here watching CSI; NY Smile

What's hard to believe is....I've lived all over the East Coast of this great Nation....workin' and huntin' and raising a family........I've NEVER yet set foot in the NY City limits......

Drove past it one time on the interstate, might coulda been 50 or so miles off......I could definately smell it. I didn't like the smell.

#40: Re: Safety...on or off? Author: Deleted_User_2665 PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:33 pm
    ----
george20042007 wrote:
Gotta tell you wildswalker, those winter pictures is what drove me to Arizona.

Winter is half the fun 'round here....................'cause you hafta endure it for 6 out of 12 months.....<grin>

#41: Re: Safety...on or off? Author: Deleted_User_2665 PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:41 pm
    ----
Bushmaster wrote:
Looky there. They grow trees in rows..

Bush, back in the 1910's or 20's I believe it was this entire area (most of the state) was logged off by the Holland Land Company right before they split it up into tracts to be sold to the highest bidders. My deed has 'em on there. I'd bet my lot that some of that timber made it's way to Texas for lumber to build some of your cities.

Later, reforestation projects took hold and yes you can find large parcels of land with various pine species planted in rows...............

#42: Re: Safety...on or off? Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:14 am
    ----
wildswalker wrote:
Bushmaster wrote:
Looky there. They grow trees in rows..

Bush, back in the 1910's or 20's I believe it was this entire area (most of the state) was logged off by the Holland Land Company right before they split it up into tracts to be sold to the highest bidders. My deed has 'em on there. I'd bet my lot that some of that timber made it's way to Texas for lumber to build some of your cities.

Later, reforestation projects took hold and yes you can find large parcels of land with various pine species planted in rows...............

Don't matter that it is plantation timber....it is still beautiful looking country. Love the snow, all I ever get to see it sun, sand, beaches and surf, although I suppose to some that is paradise. Familiarity breeds contempt.

Cheers, Vince

#43: Re: Safety...on or off? Author: kbisLocation: East, Texas PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:59 am
    ----
Wildswalker- I don't think the folks here in Texas would use Yankee Smile timber, the largest industry here in East Texas is lumber and we even get a dusting of snow now and then.

#44: Re: Safety...on or off? Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:09 am
    ----
wildswalker,

Thouse pictures remind me of winter Sad I am starting to miss it right about now Sad

Dimitri

#45: Re: Safety...on or off? Author: 1895ssLocation: Not Here...!! PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:33 am
    ----
Dimitri wrote:
wildswalker,

Thouse pictures remind me of winter Sad I am starting to miss it right about now Sad

Dimitri

I don't miss winter at all. I used to enjoy winter when I was younger and when we would get lots of snow for snowmobiling, but I sold my last snowmobile in 1990 and we have only had 1 or 2 winters since with enough snow. Nope I would like spring and fall year around now, no winter (to cold) and no summer (to hot). Very Happy

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions