Help identify an old cartidge case
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#1: Help identify an old cartidge case Author: mikekuzaraLocation: Farson, Wyoming PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 10:35 am
    ----
I found a fired cartidge case while on a jobsite. This is along the Bozeman Trail in Wyoming. It is a bottle neck cartidge of around .40 or .45 caliber, rimfire, with a large U stamped in the middle of the head. It has 2 firing pin marks directly across from each other, so was either out of a gun with a double rimfire firing pin, or misfired and attempted again.

It is 1 1/2 inches long, the head is 5/8 inch across, the larger portion of the case, below the bottle neck, is 1/2 inch in diameter.

Any help would be appreciated.

#2: Re: Help identify an old cartidge case Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 11:21 am
    ----
What about the 44 Henry Flat ?? Confused

I dont know about rimfires much but I do remember hearing about this one. Smile

Dimitri

#3: Re: Help identify an old cartidge case Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 1:02 pm
    ----
Hey Mike...Ya gotta picture??? The "U" sounds like Union Cartridge. A for runner of Remington. I think...

#4: Re: Help identify an old cartidge case Author: Al_Sohlstrom PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 4:29 pm
    ----
Hi

I was thinking about the Spencer rifle's bottleneck cartridge.

I couldn't remember enough about it, so I have to do some Internet surfing.

You can find some NICE PICTURES OF OLD CARTRIDGES HERE. Among them, in Pic #15, is the Spencer .56-46 rimfire.

See anything that looks familiar?

Keep us posted, Ok? I love this kind of stuff.

[edit] Oooh - our friends at leverguns.com come through for us again! Check here for some great info on the Spencer repeater, along with some crude but informative tech drawings of the cartridges.
[/edit]

[edit] Pictures! Pictures!! GIVE US PICTURES!!! [/edit]

#5: Re: Help identify an old cartidge case Author: Jack PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 10:21 am
    ----
Yup, the "U" is the headstamp of Union Metallic Cartridge Company, which Remington bought and absorbed.

#6: Re: Help identify an old cartidge case Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 10:34 am
    ----
Whew...Thanks Jack...Was hopin' my mind hadn't slipped.

Mike...You figured it out yet???

#7: Re: Help identify an old cartidge case Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 8:45 pm
    ----
Hey Mike, you managed to get some pics of that cartridge case yet? I am intrigued as to what it may be.

Cheers, Vince

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions