Range day!
-> General

#1: Range day! Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:27 pm
    ----
For the first time in a while two young friends and I hit the range. Between us we shot fourteen different rifles and handguns, from .22 LR to .45-70. Spent around 5 hours chatting and shooting.

Wow! My vision is terrible! I could barely see the iron sights on a couple of guns due to the cataract and facing into the sun. My friends' optics gave me trouble too but I didn't tinker with the focus, which probably would have fixed it. With one of my friend's guns I just held the right side cross hair on the right side target (there was only one target) ...

Most important factors:
I introduced them to some new guns/cartridges. Probably sold a couple guns for somebody.
I just barely outshot both of the youngsters (late 20s), including with their own guns.
I had a TON of fun!

#2: Re: Range day! Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:42 pm
    ----
Great stuff Punkin. How soon before you can get the cataracts dealt with mate? They sooner the better.

#3: Re: Range day! Author: dhc4everLocation: Ipswich, Queensland Australia PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:25 pm
    ----
Ah the ole " I cant see the sights " excuse.
Very noticable after 50
And it doesnt get any better from there......
Telescpic sights do help, when they are focused for you.

#4: Re: Range day! Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:17 pm
    ----
Vince, insurance will not pay for cataract surgery right now because "it could be corrected by glasses". That is somewhat true, but my eyes don't work together very well at the moment. Left eye sees fairly clearly, right eye sees a "zoomed out" image with a yellow tint. Maybe when I go on Medicare in another 1.5 years ...

dhc, at least I have a ready excuse! Wink

#5: Re: Range day! Author: English MikeLocation: Whitehaven, Cumbria, UK PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:35 pm
    ----
I haven't fired a shot, apart from air rifle, in 15 months... Sad

#6: Re: Range day! Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:48 am
    ----
Mike, it's disgusting, isn't it! I told someone that I've become a collector instead of a shooter. Gotta work on that!

#7: Re: Range day! Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:39 pm
    ----
Life has been good in TX during this pandemic. No real lockdown and I don't see where we are any worse off than other states (IMO we are better off). I've already dispatched 24 hogs so far this year with plenty of range time.

#8: Re: Range day! Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:39 pm
    ----
I’m chomping at the bit to get out to the range, but life, along with COVID, has got in the way and I haven’t been able fire a shot myself.

#9: Re: Range day! Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:49 pm
    ----
I have been to the range 7 times in the last 30 days. Go Texas!!

#10: Re: Range day! Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:00 am
    ----
I have my own range behind the house and up the hill. My only problem is that I'm down to 900 small pistol primers and most of my handguns use them.

#11: Re: Range day! Author: AloysiusLocation: B., Belgium PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:33 am
    ----
starting to reload the primers too?

Never to old to learn new tricks... Smile

#12: Re: Range day! Author: English MikeLocation: Whitehaven, Cumbria, UK PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:02 pm
    ----
Bushmaster wrote:
I have my own range behind the house and up the hill. My only problem is that I'm down to 900 small pistol primers and most of my handguns use them.

I told my mate in NM where my stash of small pistol primers was (all my firearms related stuff in the US is at his place), so at least he has 4,000 to keep him going.
If I do get the chance to fly out this year I'll still be OK, as when I was over in 2019, I reloaded every piece of .38spl & .357mag brass I had, so there's over 3,500 rounds ready to go when I get there.

#13: Re: Range day! Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:02 pm
    ----
Bushmaster wrote:

If there was some way of getting some to you mate, I would send a couple of thousand.

#14: Re: Range day! Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:04 pm
    ----
I'll make it. I know who (you know who) has over 10,000 small pistol primers on hand.

#15: Re: Range day! Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:40 pm
    ----
Bushmaster wrote:
I'll make it. I know who (you know who) has over 10,000 small pistol primers on hand.

Very Happy Very Happy Lucky Wink Wink

-> General