What did I miss along the way ?
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> Reloading Ammunition

#16: Re: What did I miss along the way ? Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:33 am
    ----
well if its whole pocket they need to be sent back to hornady with a please explain...keep back a couple....and let us know results....

#17: Re: What did I miss along the way ? Author: pete4dLocation: Dixie , Alabama , & Louisiana PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:02 am
    ----
An up-date on the crimped primers,,,,,E-mails

Hornady , giving great service , still has me stumped .... Scratch

My reply back this morning ;
To:support@hornady.com
Tue, Jan 19 at 9:06 AM
Thank you , great service on your end . Only thing I can think of is the crimp die on set-up may have crimped a little too much . Scratch

On Tuesday, January 19, 2021, 8:22:39 AM CST, support @ hornady.com <support@hornady.com> wrote:

Hornady Support commented at: 01-19-2021 08:22
, thank you for providing these additional details. We use large rifle primers that are produced within SAAMI specs which wouldn't fit a pocket measuring .202" in diameter. We are wondering if your pocket reamers isn't removing enough material. We have ordered a Hornady large pocket reamer for you that will ship at no charge when available. Please try this reamer to see if it resolves this issue for you. Thanks
ME commented at: 01-15-2021 09:22
I found two more of the cases , de-primed one , the primer was tight and measured .202 , the head stamp on these cases have Hornady in large print , seems they are crimped more than some of the .308 win. Hornady cases with the small letters , they mic'd .214
� � My large military crimp remover worked good on those cases , these seem to have more crimp than even some of the surplus military rounds I've done over the years .

thanks pete
On Friday, J

Hornady Support commented at: 01-15-2021 04:34
, depending on how it is made, a pocket uniformer typically will only true up the face of the pocket (depth), without removing material from the pocket walls (diameter). Did the cases have spent primers in them that you had to remove? Thanks
ME commented at: 01-13-2021 11:01
Yes , the inside measured .202 the full length of the depth , � that is after running a RCBS military crimp remover twice .I've ordered a primer pocket uniformer , gonna try that ,oddest thing I ever ran into ,reloading over 40+ yrs. many thousand of rounds .pete

On Wednesday, J

Hornady Support commented at: 01-13-2021 08:20
Mr. Ford, could you tell us what the primer pockets are measuring for an internal diameter and the method used to take these measurements? Thanks
ME commented at: 01-12-2021 11:11
I don't have the box , just stamped Hornady .308win ,son had bought these ? I've mic.'d all 16 cases and ran them threw My RCBS trim mate twice . That's what I first thought was they had been crimped . � Got me stumped,,,, thanks pete

On Tuesday, J

#18: Re: What did I miss along the way ? Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:42 pm
    ----
Interesting that Hornady are taking a real interest in this problem. I’m wondering what they are looking at or doing to machinery behind the scenes.

Well done Hornady for looking after this customer.

#19: Re: What did I miss along the way ? Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:39 pm
    ----
indeed thats REALLY great to see them looking into it.....

#20: Re: What did I miss along the way ? Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:43 pm
    ----
I wonder if they were "counterfeit"?

#21: Re: What did I miss along the way ? Author: pete4dLocation: Dixie , Alabama , & Louisiana PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:50 pm
    ----
Pumpkinslinger wrote:

Scratch Hadn't thought of that pumpkin , Scratch

Do other countries manufacture different sizes ?

#22: Re: What did I miss along the way ? Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:23 pm
    ----
had that thought today...there is certain country that exports lots of cheap goods (and terrible virus's) which is well known for counterfeit stuff,nothing is off limits to them......

#23: Re: What did I miss along the way ? Author: pete4dLocation: Dixie , Alabama , & Louisiana PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:48 am
    ----
Pumpkinslinger wrote:

Pumpkin ,,,,, Think you were right on being counterfeit ,
Time and money wasted on this hulls . as neither of the two new primer pocket tools worked , the first reamer only reams the bottom to a uniform dept and is smaller than a standard large primer. The other does no more than what my large mil. crimp remover does.

#24: Re: What did I miss along the way ? Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:58 pm
    ----
I looked a little but couldn't find primer sizes that other countries might use. It might be interesting to send Hornady one to see what they think.

#25: Re: What did I miss along the way ? Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:26 pm
    ----
I never considered the idea of the cases being counterfeit. With the way Chinese industry reverse engineers successful products from companies outside of China these days, anything is possible.

#26: Re: What did I miss along the way ? Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:26 am
    ----
www.nzhuntingandshooti...ore-72325/

you not alone Pete.......

#27: Re: What did I miss along the way ? Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:59 pm
    ----
What’s the latest on this problem Pete? What did Hornady say about the different size print on the base of the cases? Have they claimed ownership of the dodgy cases or have they said they are counterfeit copies of Hornady brass?

#28: Re: What did I miss along the way ? Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:37 pm
    ----
Someone on the NZ link said it was a "common problem" with Hornady brass?? I've never heard of it before. As Vince asked, what's the update Pete?

#29: Re: What did I miss along the way ? Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:13 pm
    ----
yeah they STILL thinking its just a crimp issue.....which IS an issue with hornady brass,I believe they started doing it with superpreformance lines and it spilled over to other lines,or they primed lots of brass then used in in other lines of ammunition.the whitetail 270 brass I GOT GIVEN 4 YEARS AGO was definately crimped.

-> Reloading Ammunition