4 hours knife forging challenge last satuday (many photos)
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> Spam-O-Rama

#1: 4 hours knife forging challenge last satuday (many photos) Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:21 pm
    ----
So I joined the 4 hours knife forging challenge last saturday
With the very strong competing line up my knife is done but I came last anyway Embarassed
Anyhow I had a great time and here are some pictures for my effort

Last edited by gelandangan on Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

#2: Re: 4 hours knife forging challenge last satuday Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:24 pm
    ----
Once the knife is shaped I hardened it and progressed to the grinder.
Continuing..

#3: Re: 4 hours knife forging challenge last satuday Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:27 pm
    ----
waiting for the resin to set, I had my lunch Very Happy

After lunch I drilled the tang and timber for the pin- I used my ARTU drill to drill through the hardened steel tang and the timber.

Continuing

#4: Re: 4 hours knife forging challenge last satuday Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:29 pm
    ----
Now I finished the handle shaping.
This is my weakest part so I did not stop much to take photos

Thank you for looking Wink

#5: Re: 4 hours knife forging challenge last satuday Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:34 pm
    ----
I have never made knives in a hurry before, and I do not think I would do it again.
I do end up with a knife and someone did offer to buy it right away but due to the rough finish, I am reluctant to sell it.

The main thing is to know that I can do it and I had fun doing it.

Cheers

#6: Re: 4 hours knife forging challenge last satuday (many photos) Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:00 pm
    ----
Looks like a pretty good effort! And if you had fun that's all that really matters!

#7: Re: 4 hours knife forging challenge last satuday (many photos) Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:42 am
    ----
looks ok to me......bet it will cut well and at end of day thats its main purpose.
still keep looking at the green river bushmans friend.....them and victorinox are making them...its the shape/size/name of what I always carried through my younger years..never found it wanting,only switched to folders after had knife cut through sheath and my leg....it was fault of operator not the knife...Ive actually got quite a collection of knife scars on various parts of the body now.

#8: Re: 4 hours knife forging challenge last satuday (many photos) Author: RePeteLocation: Gods Country PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:50 am
    ----
Great effort.

Thanks for the pics.

I love the pattern on the blade.

#9: Re: 4 hours knife forging challenge last satuday (many photos) Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:18 am
    ----
Yes, thanks for the pictures, gelandangan, so we could enjoy the event with you.

#10: Re: 4 hours knife forging challenge last satuday (many photos) Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:44 pm
    ----
Gelan, don’t sell yourself short...it looks like a damn fine effort to me mate. I can see a couple of small alterations I would make, but only because I probably have a different use in mind to you. However, the basic shape of the blade looks like it would be very effective, especially as a camp or kitchen knife.

The guy that offered to buy your knife can no doubt see the work you have put into it and can see a usefulness for his purposes. Also, the “rough” finish would give it a rustic appearance...something a lot of people like in a useful knife.

#11: Re: 4 hours knife forging challenge last satuday (many photos) Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:34 pm
    ----
Thanks guys, I am not sad or disheartened for coming last.
I usually took my time to finish my blades so this "In a hurry" thing is not really good for my style.

#12: Re: 4 hours knife forging challenge last satuday (many photos) Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:29 pm
    ----
I've come in last multiple times but at least I participated and finished. That is more than a lot of people can say who sit on the sidelines.

#13: Re: 4 hours knife forging challenge last satuday (many photos) Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:19 pm
    ----
slimjim wrote:
I've come in last multiple times but at least I participated and finished. That is more than a lot of people can say who sit on the sidelines.

Spot on mate!

#14: Re: 4 hours knife forging challenge last satuday (many photos) Author: pete4dLocation: Dixie , Alabama , & Louisiana PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:05 am
    ----
The knife look good Cheers , the first picture show a length of cable then your heat a piece of rebar , I would like to see how you did that, Scratch just picking Poke Cheers Cheers Poke

#15: Re: 4 hours knife forging challenge last satuday (many photos) Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:27 pm
    ----
pete4d wrote:
The knife look good Cheers , the first picture show a length of cable then your heat a piece of rebar , I would like to see how you did that, Scratch just picking Poke Cheers Cheers Poke

LOL
Ok I welded the cable to a piece of rebar for the handle while forging.
IT is easier to have a handle rather than use a tong since it gives much more stable and unmovable holding.

-> Spam-O-Rama