Stay at Home Project
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#1: Stay at Home Project Author: Gil MartinLocation: Schnecksville, PA PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 5:06 pm
    ----
Our gun club is closed until we get an updated decree from the Governor to open it (Note: several local gun clubs have never closed during this COVID-19 event). I have a lot of time on my hands so I worked cleaning up my stash area and found an old bolt action Stevens Model 56 .22 l.r. that was missing parts and in rough shape. Oh, well it looked like something I could refurbish.

Some years ago I acquired the classic old rifle for little or no cost and put it aside and forgot about it. The stock was abused and had been painted previously by someone, there was some rust on the barrel exterior, the front sight, magazine and safety were missing. Surprisingly, the bore cleaned up to be mirror bright. Then I stripped the stock and applied boiled linseed oil. The barrel, action and metal parts were prepped and given a treatment of cold blue. The chrome bolt cleaned up easily with emery paper and worked well. I managed to find a front sight that would fit and ordered a magazine online. After assembling the old rifle, I installed a set of used sling swivels and an old sling. I spent a week and then test fired the gun and everything functioned just fine. Cannot wait to get to the range and see how it shoots. It may not be real pretty, but it is ready for use.

No, I do not have a smartphone and do not post pictures. All the best...
Gil

#2: Re: Stay at Home Project Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 5:27 pm
    ----
Before smart phones we had "cameras". Surely someone can get a photo for you! Wink

Sounds like a great project! I'm looking forward to the shooting results.

#3: Re: Stay at Home Project Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 6:29 pm
    ----
Time well spent Gil!
I have a project or two that I am avoiding and a couple that are going forward. The gun builds are being avoided and the projects I am working on are causing a lot of sawdust. I may end up with usable cabinets but only time will tell.

It's a lot easier to draw them out than it is to build them... Wink

#4: Re: Stay at Home Project Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 1:42 am
    ----
smart phones are just dumb.....

if a techtard like me can work out how to post photos on here (thanks for perservering Vince) you will find it a breaze

tip.....downsize photo quality/pixels on CAMERA its a heck of alot easier than doing it on computer...well it is for me anyway.

#5: Re: Stay at Home Project Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 4:20 pm
    ----
Great work Gil. Uncovering old, long forgotten gems is like finding gold under a rock.

It sounds like you have had an enjoyable time refurbishing the old girl. I would be very surprised if the bore was anything other than bright mate...unless of course it had rusted...22 rifles never seem to wear out their bore. If you haven’t been able to pick up a safety for it, maybe you can make one. Often the safety on a .22 is just a piece of flat metal bent into shape to block the trigger...it’s an option and will allow for more enjoyable time refurbishing mate. Speaking of which, I have to have another look at my ongoing project in the next day or so.

#6: Re: Stay at Home Project Author: Gil MartinLocation: Schnecksville, PA PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 5:15 pm
    ----
Vince,
The safety is missing and I was unable to get a suitable replacement. This appears to be a very early Stevens Model 56 with some unique features. The safeties offered online would not fit on this old rifle. Even the parts diagrams online appear to be different and show two mounting holes. My rifle has a single hole to anchor the safety. I may follow your lead and fashion something to fit. Take care. All the best...
Gil

#7: Re: Stay at Home Project Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 5:31 pm
    ----
“Gil” wrote:
I may follow your lead and fashion something to fit. Take care. All the best...
Gil

Might be the best option mate...so long as you can get a pic of the safety to work from. If nothing else, it is a very satisfying project.

EDIT: I just saw this on the Numich website mate...

Numich Gun Parts

They are apparently taking orders from US customers. If nothing else, there is a pic of the Safety that you can work from.

#8: Re: Stay at Home Project Author: Gil MartinLocation: Schnecksville, PA PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 7:48 am
    ----
Vince,
I appreciate your assistance and had looked at the Gun Parts website. Notice that the safety is out of stock and the safety requires two screws. My rifle has only a single screw hole in the receiver to mount the safety. Gun Parts is not shipping during this plague. I will keep looking. All the best...
Gil

#9: Re: Stay at Home Project Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 4:51 pm
    ----
Gil Martin wrote:
Vince,
I appreciate your assistance and had looked at the Gun Parts website. Notice that the safety is out of stock and the safety requires two screws. My rifle has only a single screw hole in the receiver to mount the safety. Gun Parts is not shipping during this plague. I will keep looking. All the best...
Gil

Roger that mate. Might be time to look at making the part yourself.

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions