Load Development
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  :| |:
-> Reloading Ammunition

#31: Re: Load Development Author: pete4dLocation: Dixie , Alabama , & Louisiana PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 9:07 am
    ----
Vince ,,, The steel mount should be alot better than some of the aluminum mounts that I 've tried on my No.4. , Hope you have good luck on finding the used mount....pete Cheers

#32: Re: Load Development Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 4:39 pm
    ----
Elvis wrote:
using existing screw holes is the way to go....way less to stuff up and remains origonal underneath....you got some recoil therapy in Mate....speaking if which,how was the later loads in that reguard????? still reckon you be much better off to take off the crappy recoil pad they came with and put a slip on one in place...much softer.

Yes mate, got some recoil therapy...and it was outstanding.

I am using a slip on pad now and it makes a helluva difference...actually quite comfortable to shoot. I have to revisit the load development...there was a mix of my lousy eyes not seeing the sights properly, even the ghost ring sight, and starting the loads off too light. I didn’t both posting the first 4 targets because they are rubbish, but the last targets show some potential at the higher load levels. Once I get a sight mount sorted, and a scope fitted, I’ll revisit the load development process. I’m even thinking a different powder might be an option...AR2209 instead of AR2206H.

#33: Re: Load Development Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 4:45 pm
    ----
pete4d wrote:
Vince ,,, The steel mount should be alot better than some of the aluminum mounts that I 've tried on my No.4. , Hope you have good luck on finding the used mount....pete Cheers

I agree Pete...steel is a much better option than aluminium. It holds its shape, is less prone to stress fracturing and won’t wear under recoil.
B-Square has a good reputation, although I believe they may have discontinued the SMLE sight mount production. That’s ok, I am happy with a second hand, pre-used, pre-loved sight mount in good condition.

#34: Re: Load Development Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 11:07 pm
    ----
saw a site the other day with heaps of bits new for the smle ETC ETC...including modern imitations of the scopes used .... IF I can find it again will post link.

#35: Re: Load Development Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 5:27 am
    ----
Elvis wrote:
saw a site the other day with heaps of bits new for the smle ETC ETC...including modern imitations of the scopes used .... IF I can find it again will post link.

A couple of mates are doing a search in the US for me and have identified a sight mount made by Addley Precision in Canada.
Addley Precision Scope Mount

I’m not familiar with the brand, but one of the guys who is a collector of military rifles...and he shoots them...and he said they are good. The mount is machined from a solid piece of 6061 aluminium, which should mean that it is a good solid unit. I have some sight rings here, although if need be I’ll buy a new set to suit the mount. Then I’ll be able to revisit the load development.

#36: Re: Load Development Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 12:41 am
    ----
it says look through on bottom....so your scope is going to be high.....having gone down this rabbit hole before.....admitidly with less precise system it brings up 2 issues
1 your face is well off stock to use scope
2 your trajectory is going to be all up the booey.....very it at hundy and it will be way high at 150 sort of thing if my memory is correct
if it lets you see irons and keeps scope low...tis all good....food for thought.

#37: Re: Load Development Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 6:15 pm
    ----
Wow!! I looked at the Addley mount for a Swiss K31... $$$$$!

#38: Re: Load Development Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 5:15 pm
    ----
Pumpkinslinger wrote:
Wow!! I looked at the Addley mount for a Swiss K31... $$$$$!

Have a look at this Punkin...

Darcarto

#39: Re: Load Development Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 5:16 pm
    ----
Elvis...I’ll have to see when I get the mount mate. I’m not interested in using the rifle’s factory sights...can’t see the bloody things, so I’ll have to work out how to use the scope.

#40: Re: Load Development Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 6:32 pm
    ----
Nice mount Vince, thanks!

#41: Re: Load Development Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:21 pm
    ----
Well, I have a sight mount inbound, and also a set of rings that will hopefully fit. Once the6 arrive and I get a scope fitted to the #5 SMLE I’ll be back into load development. I am also seriously considering a couple of different projectiles if these Hornady RN offering doesn’t work out as hoped. I’m researching the Sierra offerings as we speak.

#42: Re: Load Development Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:06 pm
    ----
Always looking ahead... Plan for the worst and hope for the best! Smile

#43: Re: Load Development Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:00 pm
    ----
PaulS wrote:
Always looking ahead... Plan for the worst and hope for the best! Smile

Yes mate, always a smart move.

#44: Re: Load Development Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:54 pm
    ----
A couple of months back, after a range visit, I decided that the best option was for me to fit a scope mount to my #5 SMLE. Whilst the factory peep sight sort of worked with my eyes, it wasn’t precise enough for load development, so I searched out a “no gunsmithing” scope mount.

I initially found one on eBay that fitted the bill, a mount from a Canadian company, Addley Precision, and ordered one. Of course with my luck, it turned out to be a bloody SCAMMER. After 4 unanswered emails to them, I raised a dispute through PayPal. It took PayPal less than a week to get back to me with a result in my favour, and a full refund. Long story short, I immediately ordered a mount from the Canadian manufacturer...it should arrive in the next couple of weeks. I have rings and a scope, so with some luck I’ll be on the range early September to revisit load development...fingers crossed and COVID allowing.

#45: Re: Load Development Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:47 pm
    ----
good of paypal to sort it for you.

-> Reloading Ammunition