Venison Stew
-> Recipes

#1: Venison Stew Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:21 pm
    ----
Oh my...YUMMO

Venison Stew

#2: Re: Venison Stew Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:49 pm
    ----
I'll try it with different veggies to keep it low carbohydrate and I will cube the venison instead of grinding it but it sounds delicious!

#3: Re: Venison Stew Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:38 am
    ----
Vince...That recipe is missing the one veggie that makes stew what it is. Cabbage...Stew without cabbage is not stew...It's soup.

#4: Re: Venison Stew Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:44 pm
    ----
Bushmaster wrote:
Vince...That recipe is missing the one veggie that makes stew what it is. Cabbage...Stew without cabbage is not stew...It's soup.

Yep, I agree...easy enough to add mate, also a little barley grain as well.

#5: Re: Venison Stew Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:33 pm
    ----
All the rest of the ingredients are great. Don't need the barley.

[I don't even like barley soup...]

#6: Re: Venison Stew Author: RePeteLocation: Gods Country PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:59 am
    ----
I like barley but most people, me included, add too much.

#7: Re: Venison Stew Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:49 am
    ----
today I was cutting up the deer shot earlier in week.
the shin meat got thrown into crockpot about 2 fist sizes,where small quantity of juice from corned beef sat waiting.
added 1 kumara about a fist sized kumara.
turned it on low heat.added teaspoon of garlic.
4 hours later added some silverbeet,carrots and brocalli,added some steak seasoning and vegemite..left it on low for another 2 hours. then removed most of liquid and whipped half a cup of flour in with it....stirred it well,left another 20 minutes and served
holy smoke it was good.

#8: Re: Venison Stew Author: AloysiusLocation: B., Belgium PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:29 am
    ----
Elvis, you never make "biltong"?
Only a few ingredients (salt, black pepper, coriander, Worchestire sause and wine-vinegar), very easy to make and very tasty...

and you can keep your venison for long periods without fridge or electricity...

as for time needed: I do 1 day marinade and 5 days drying hanging in a cheap plastic box with 2 chinese ventilators (on 12 VDC - so I could do it in my car Smile )

#9: Re: Venison Stew Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:28 pm
    ----
have done wallaby jerky...very similar thing...have small commercial dehydrator so could do all sorts...if remembered before cutting all the meat up!!!!

#10: Re: Venison Stew Author: AloysiusLocation: B., Belgium PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:30 am
    ----
biltong tasts better than jerky IMHO
but I've never made jerky myself and I've only tasted biltong from own production. That also could make the difference...

-> Recipes