spammer
-> General

#1: spammer Author: astao23 PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:55 pm
    ----
BANNED.

#2: Re: Screw Cap Vial manufacturers Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:13 pm
    ----
if anyone sees anymore posts by this spambot please let mods know so we can get onto it....

#3: Re: Screw Cap Vial manufacturers Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:52 pm
    ----
Elvis wrote:
if anyone sees anymore posts by this spambot please let mods know so we can get onto it....

Roger that Elvis.

#4: Re: Screw Cap Vial manufacturers Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:50 pm
    ----
It is funny to me. you would thing the bot would scan for topics that led into the products they sell. I did report it to DallanC but it doesn't anger me as it might those who get to clean it up.

It happens to all sites and the fact that we are not a "secure" site makes it a bit easier.
Just join me and laugh at it.

#5: Re: Screw Cap Vial manufacturers Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:29 pm
    ----
PaulS wrote:
It is funny to me. you would thing the bot would scan for topics that led into the products they sell. I did report it to DallanC but it doesn't anger me as it might those who get to clean it up.

It happens to all sites and the fact that we are not a "secure" site makes it a bit easier.
Just join me and laugh at it.

I generally delete spam posts, but this is a legitimate question to answer, so I edited out the spammer body. Will nuke the thread later

The answer is, they arent bots anymore. They are chinese humans paid to manually sign up on sites and post spam. This makes it incredibly hard to detect and catch up front.

Possibly I could enforce rules where they are limited to a single forum for their first 10 posts or something... that would contain spam a slight amount anyway.

-DallanC

#6: Re: Screw Cap Vial manufacturers Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:30 pm
    ----
PS: I'm looking into the SSL thing... but these security certificates are kindof expensive to maintain. In fact it would double the website costs currently.

I need to bring this back up with my host and see if they have a cheaper solution.

-DallanC

#7: Re: spammer Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:01 pm
    ----
try this......first sign up...can only post 3 times a day for a week???cant post images.... maybe....

#8: Re: spammer Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:25 pm
    ----
DallaqnC,
We don't need the SSL - we don't sell or buy on the site and an occasional spam post can be comical.
Limiting a new members posts might be a way to limit it to one post or a few posts in an introduction forum, but ultimately it is up to you. I can dend a bit of money your way if needed.
Just let us know.

-> General