Big bore lever actions calibre choices what would you choose
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#16: Re: Big bore lever actions calibre choices what would you choose Author: george20042007Location: Arizona PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:58 pm
    ----
Vince wrote:
george20042007 wrote:
I'm glad to see so many commenting on lever actions. There seems to be a quite a few using 45-70 loads, so, I have one question. What is your favorite hand load in 45-70?

Careful George....you might be opening Pandora's box by asking a question like that mate. -D lol -D lol There are some very proud 45.70 users in these forums.......but us Winchester Mod 94 30.30 shooters keep 'em honest.

Cheers, Vince
Sorry Vince...didn't mean to down play other caliber's, just have a vested interest in the 45-70. Funny though, when I went to by a Winchester 94 in thirty-thirty, I bought the Marlin 1895 in 45-70 instead. To this day I can't explain why.

#17: Re: Big bore lever actions calibre choices what would you choose Author: GroovyJackLocation: Bama PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:05 pm
    ----
I wouldnt do cape buffs or ele's with a 45/70 and Garrett ammunition .. Dont care how good the bullet is , still has to have the velocity to penetrate .. Has been done , but things dont always go right ..
M71 converted to 450 Alaskan or 50 Alaskan is my choice , now if I could only find one with the JKR headstamp I would be happy ..
Also the 71 in a 50-110 would be nice ..
Jack

#18: Re: Big bore lever actions calibre choices what would you choose Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:55 pm
    ----
george20042007 wrote:
Vince wrote:
george20042007 wrote:
I'm glad to see so many commenting on lever actions. There seems to be a quite a few using 45-70 loads, so, I have one question. What is your favorite hand load in 45-70?

Careful George....you might be opening Pandora's box by asking a question like that mate. -D lol -D lol There are some very proud 45.70 users in these forums.......but us Winchester Mod 94 30.30 shooters keep 'em honest.

Cheers, Vince
Sorry Vince...didn't mean to down play other caliber's, just have a vested interest in the 45-70. Funny though, when I went to by a Winchester 94 in thirty-thirty, I bought the Marlin 1895 in 45-70 instead. To this day I can't explain why.

Laughing Gidday George. Relax mate....not having a go at you. In fact my comment was "tongue in cheek" and actually aimed at a mate in these forums who is extremely devoted, maybe even one-eyed, to his Marlin 45.70....ain't ya 1895ss old mate Very Happy Very Happy .

I expected a big come back from him, but instead you came in. Not to worry, I am sure he will snipe me later. Sniper Hiding I'm hiding and watching my arcs. Viking

Go with whatever calibre and firearm that suits you or takes your fancy. Remember you are the one that will be using it mate.

Cheers, Vince

#19: Re: Big bore lever actions calibre choices what would you ch Author: 1895ssLocation: Not Here...!! PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:09 pm
    ----
Vince wrote:
george20042007 wrote:
Vince wrote:
george20042007 wrote:

Cheers, Vince

Laughing Gidday George. Relax mate....not having a go at you. In fact my comment was "tongue in cheek" and actually aimed at a mate in these forums who is extremely devoted, maybe even one-eyed, to his Marlin 45.70....ain't ya 1895ss old mate Very Happy Very Happy .

I expected a big come back from him, but instead you came in. Not to worry, I am sure he will snipe me later. Sniper Hiding I'm hiding and watching my arcs. Viking

Go with whatever calibre and firearm that suits you or takes your fancy. Remember you are the one that will be using it mate.
Cheers, Vince

George the reason you chose the Marlin in a 45-70 is because it sells itself. I mean it just looks better to start with and has a smoother action, is more accurate and more dependable than the "94" . The "94 WW is for dreamers that think they are in one of the "Duke " movies cause that's what he supposedly used in his movies. Well the Marlin has been around about the same amount of time as the WW.
Why a 45-70 you ask .......... because the cartridge is well over 100 years old and still going strong.

How's that Vince........................
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

#20: Re: Big bore lever actions calibre choices what would you ch Author: 1895ssLocation: Not Here...!! PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:22 pm
    ----
george20042007 wrote:
What is your favorite hand load in 45-70?

By the way George, I have two loads that I use in my Marlin 1895ss (22"bbl) 45-70. Remember to reduce at least 10% and work up if you are going to try these loads.

Hornady 350 gr RN/CCI 200 primers / 56.8gr IMR 3031/Vel 2050 fps
Remington 405 gr SP/cci 200 primers / 55.0 gr Hodgdon Varget
I am working on a couple different 405 gr rem loads using IMR 3031 & IMR 4895 but I have just started on them.

#21: Re: Big bore lever actions calibre choices what would you choose Author: george20042007Location: Arizona PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:25 am
    ----
Thanks 1895ss for the info. I got 2 reloads that print within 3 inches at 100 yards...a 300 GRN LFN ahead of 41 grns of IMR 4198 & a 350 GRN jacketed FP ahead of 38 grns of IMR 4198 w/CCI 200 primers in both cases. I have no velocity or penetration data for either.

And Vince, I'm proud to be a Marlin 1895 fan as well. I think it may be stronger than the 94, you agree?

#22: Re: Big bore lever actions calibre choices what would you ch Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:15 am
    ----
1895ss wrote:
Vince wrote:
george20042007 wrote:
Vince wrote:
george20042007 wrote:

Cheers, Vince

Cheers, Vince

George the reason you chose the Marlin in a 45-70 is because it sells itself. I mean it just looks better to start with and has a smoother action, is more accurate and more dependable than the "94" . The "94 WW is for dreamers that think they are in one of the "Duke " movies cause that's what he supposedly used in his movies. Well the Marlin has been around about the same amount of time as the WW.
Why a 45-70 you ask .......... because the cartridge is well over 100 years old and still going strong.

How's that Vince........................
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

AAaaahhhh.....got me........Touche mate.

george20042007 wrote:
[And Vince, I'm proud to be a Marlin 1895 fan as well. I think it may be stronger than the 94, you agree?

Damn....another one. Bushy...... help mate 1895ss has reinforcements and we are under attack.

The Model 94 30.30 will prevail. Salute Flag

Cheers, Vince

#23: Re: Big bore lever actions calibre choices what would you ch Author: 1895ssLocation: Not Here...!! PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:20 am
    ----
You've been outmanuvered and besides, your flying the wrong flag my friend...................... Haha

#24: Re: Big bore lever actions calibre choices what would you ch Author: ogreLocation: Melbourne PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:59 am
    ----
strangly (or not) enough we both agreed on an alaskin chambering when we were discussing it- but we also agreed to limit our choice to a rifle we had a hope of actually getting.

Otherwise a BLR in 416 taylor would be my choice.

later
P

#25: Re: Big bore lever actions calibre choices what would you choose Author: CrackshotLocation: Mich PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:34 pm
    ----
John Wayne used a Winchester, But it was an 1892, Not an 1894, and dont knock the "Duke". Mad

#26: Re: Big bore lever actions calibre choices what would you choose Author: kbisLocation: East, Texas PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:32 pm
    ----
Vince not to worry, there are others here that love their Winchesters, mine is a Model 94, 44mag. I do have a Marlin 30-30 somewhere around here, I guess I should dust it off Smile .

#27: Re: Big bore lever actions calibre choices what would you ch Author: 1895ssLocation: Not Here...!! PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:54 am
    ----
So there you go we have found the problem. Smile You should have been using the Marlin all along and you wouldn't have this beaver problem now............ Very Happy

#28: Re: Big bore lever actions calibre choices what would you choose Author: CrackshotLocation: Mich PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:48 am
    ----
I use Winchester most, because I am a John Wayne fan! His movies had a big influence on me, I have several 1892 Winchesters, 25/20 32/20 44/40 and one original 1873 44/40( was my fathers and his fathers before him)

#29: Re: Big bore lever actions calibre choices what would you choose Author: kbisLocation: East, Texas PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:32 pm
    ----
1855SS- actually I bought the 30/30 Marlin about 4 years ago when the feral hogs decided to destroy my fields, my newest center fire gun at the time was a cherry U.S. Model 1917 that I did not want to beat up. The Marlin was the neastest thing the local gun shop had (Wal-Mart, I know bad word Smile ) and my first lever gun. I like the gun, but the stock is a little fat compared to a Win 94. I have been toying with the idea of getting a new 45/70, I like the Ruger #1 but then I look at the (I think) 1895 cowboy, I have this thing for hex barrels. I just wounder if they are as accurate as the #1's ?

#30: Re: Big bore lever actions calibre choices what would you ch Author: sniperLocation: Utah PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:36 pm
    ----
Ohhhh...You guys are talking REALLY BIG BORES, not general big bore rifles,as opposed to smallbore, like .22 Long Rifle, huh? Confused Hmmmm...

My choice for a lever action big bore would be the Marlin 336 in 30-30. The one they had before the addition of that "lawyerproof" safety.

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions