Doppler Radar Chronograph
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  :| |:
-> Reloading Ammunition

#1: Doppler Radar Chronograph Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:51 pm
    ----
I treated myself to a new chronograph - the LabRadar. This unit provides you data in Spades! You don't have to set it up in front of the firing line or shoot through it. The LabRadar unit goes along-side your rifle and tracks the speed of your bullet from the muzzle and down-range. .308 bullet velocities were tracked out to 100 yards or more. .277 out to 75 yards. It gives you enough data to derive BCs if you desire. I now don't have to rely on sunlight or the affects of clouds/rain. Its a pretty slick device!!!

mylabradar.com/

I bought mine at MidwayUSA
ads.midwayusa.com/prod...fgodeCgOzQ

#2: Re: Doppler Radar Chronograph Author: Grey_Wolf PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:41 pm
    ----
Cool. I looked at them bu they weren't out yet so I went with the Magnetospeed. It works good, a darn sight better than setting up the old style. Apparently you can hook the Magnetospeed up to a smart phone to save data. *sigh* if only I was as smart as my phone I could do this ....

#3: Re: Doppler Radar Chronograph Author: hunterjoe21Location: Miles City, Montana PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:31 am
    ----
I've been drooling over these since I first heard of them. I really want one, but still can't justify the cost. Hell, my Shooting Chrony still hasn't been used.

#4: Re: Doppler Radar Chronograph Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:35 am
    ----
hunterjoe21 wrote:
I really want one, but still can't justify the cost. Hell, my Shooting Chrony still hasn't been used.

Well, maybe if it wasn't an exercise like a choreographed dance to set up an optical chrony to shoot through, you would use it more often. I've been spending the last several months shooting through a chrony at the line and at 200 yards to determine actual BC of too many bullets to count. This device makes that quest easy so I splurged. One needs to do that every once in awhile.

#5: Re: Doppler Radar Chronograph Author: tikkat3 PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:44 am
    ----
Great buy Slim
I've got a CED and it is a bit of a dance setting it up on your own
Love the data gathered though
Must save those scheckles

#6: Re: Doppler Radar Chronograph Author: AzarLocation: Utah PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:42 am
    ----
Slim,

I'm a bit jealous! If I were to get a new chronograph (and I could afford it, which I probably can't!) I'd go with the LabRadar. It's limitation of not being able to read shots above 3,900 FPS or it's difficulty in reading sub-22 caliber bullets don't currently apply to me. And the convenience of it's use might out weight those limitations anyway.

I love the idea and implementation of it. I expect lots and lots of bullet reports so you can get your money's worth. Very Happy

#7: Re: Doppler Radar Chronograph Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:58 pm
    ----
Had it out for the 3rd time this week. No more than 30 sec to setup. Down range data is another level of information and analysis. Love it! No more marketing BCs, l have the real world numbers now.

#8: Re: Doppler Radar Chronograph Author: hunterjoe21Location: Miles City, Montana PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:05 am
    ----
Will it fit in one of the Ridgid cases available from HD?

#9: Re: Doppler Radar Chronograph Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:08 am
    ----
Yes, I bought their carry pack that that has been pretty handy. I can carry my rechargeable USB 5v battery back and 1/4-20 bolt I secure it to the stand/platform with. I built a 2' by 2' platform with a 2x4 crossbar on the front so I could mount the LabRadar off to the side. I marked 6", 12", and 18" offsets on the board. I really worked out nice for set-up. It would have been better to have a 2' by 2.5'/3' board so both the front and rear shooting bags could both be on the board. I'll try and take a picture to post today.

#10: Re: Doppler Radar Chronograph Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:14 am
    ----
Forgot to mention I shot with 4 others on the range. I was on the end. Picked up one shot from the guy next to me - deleted. Missed 1 shot out of 85 total for the day.

#11: Re: Doppler Radar Chronograph Author: RePeteLocation: Gods Country PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:02 am
    ----
I was going to get one at the time they announced them, price approx $500 CDN, but they change to USD. Screw them. That adds 30% - 40% to the price.

I read about a guy in the US was having problems getting readings in some conditions and in an indoor range. But that is the only one I have heard about. It could have been operator error.

#12: Re: Doppler Radar Chronograph Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:16 am
    ----
Pretty interesting set up.... congrats on the new purchase !!!

#13: Re: Doppler Radar Chronograph Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:58 am
    ----
Just thought I'd share some things I've done over the years that has kept me from shooting my sensors a second time.

Tips for setting up a chronograph !!!

Build a target frame to affix a piece of paper or poster board with a aiming point in the center.
Set it square to your rifle about 1 to 2 feet beyond where your chronograph will sit.
Shoot 1 or 2 shots to verify point of impact.
Now place chronograph 1 to 2 feet squarely in front of target with impact area not the aiming point centered in sky-screens.

This is a good method if all you want to do is collect velocity readings.

Second method
Set up as usual and take a couple shots down range to verify everything is working as assumed.
Tape a piece of string to the top of the guns barrel right in front of the scope. You’ll need at least 15 to 20 feet depending on how far you set your chronograph from your muzzle.
Look through your scope and adjust rifle so it stays true to point of aim without holding it. Now stretch string out and lay it across the top of the barrel to create a straight line down range. The string will represent the bullets path and you’ll be able to set up chronograph accordingly.
Double check to make sure rifle hasn’t moved while stretching string.

A variation without the long string.
Dangle a highly visible object from a string that’s centered in your sky-screens. With the bolt removed from rifle you’ll be able to bore sight while keeping crosshairs on point of aim. This takes a little longer because you’ll be making more trips to the chronograph for adjustments until things line up.

As always safety first..... make sure gun is unloaded before heading down range.... take the bolt out !!!
Know where your bullet will impact before shooting !!!

#14: Re: Doppler Radar Chronograph Author: DawgdadLocation: On the Prairie PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:41 pm
    ----
I use another variation of the don't shoot my chrono methods - I measure from center of bore to center of scope. Double that for safety and hang an aiming dot on a piece of string so that is at least that distance over the sensors. Then line up the elevation of the sky screens so that the target is behind the dot on the string when I look down the sights. remove the dot and string and fire away.

#15: Re: Doppler Radar Chronograph Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:54 pm
    ----
I saw one the other day. The shooter but tape the front sunscreen rods at the height you mentioned Dawgdad. He just made sure his crosshairs were above it and centered between the two tape marks.

-> Reloading Ammunition