Need help
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> Reloading Ammunition

#1: Need help Author: lesterg3Location: Dixie PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:01 am
    ----
OK so I've been here for two years and I am finally setting up my reloading bench. But, my hands are not what they used to be and I am thinking I want to get an electronic powder measure. I am looking at the RCBS ChargeMaster, it sounds good to me, but I am wondering if it's as good as it sounds. What do you think, what are your experiences.

#2: Re: Need help Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:13 am
    ----
Hi Les! I use an electronic scale and dispenser (an old PACT) and really like it. I have had some trouble with fine, spherical powders though. I haven't used the RCBS but maybe the reviews at Midway will help you. And they have it on sale!

www.midwayusa.com/prod...o-110-volt

#3: Re: Need help Author: lesterg3Location: Dixie PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:54 am
    ----
That's certainly better than Cabela's. Thanks PS.

#4: Re: Need help Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:55 pm
    ----
I wish I could help Lester, but I am still using a balance beam scale too because the cost of a decent electronic scale is beyond me. Good luck with the search mate.

#5: Re: Need help Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:32 pm
    ----
www.midwayusa.com/prod...trickler-2

lester3, if you are just concerned about the fine measurement to get the powder charge exactly spot on, you might consider a powder trickle. Just twist the knob and just a little comes out.

#6: Re: Need help Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:41 pm
    ----
My wife bought me the Hornady a few years back..... love it !!!

#7: Re: Need help Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:57 pm
    ----
slimjim wrote:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/169955/rcbs-powder-trickler-2

lester3, if you are just concerned about the fine measurement to get the powder charge exactly spot on, you might consider a powder trickle. Just twist the knob and just a little comes out.

That is exactly what I do Slim. I throw the charge about .5gr short then trickle the rest into the pan. Makes the reloading process a little slower, but I find it improves the accuracy of the charge which is a bonus.

#8: Re: Need help Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:10 pm
    ----
cheap as set of LEE spoons will see you pretty plurry close Mate....and a powder trickler will get you the rest of the way in a jiffy.
dont chuck the manual balance beam...guys are going back to them when the novalty of electronic ones wears off..... manual is just more reliable...sometimes simple is best.

Ive got an accurate powder thrower but dont use it unless doing 30 or more loads...the spoons are as accurate and quick,n fact better if using chunky powder as the big granuals can block the thrower and give random weights.

#9: Re: Need help Author: lesterg3Location: Dixie PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:52 am
    ----
Thanks for all the feedback guys. In the past I have used a powder tickler and still have it, as the beam scale, and a complete set of powder cups. The issue is my hands, and the fine motor skills necessary to use those devices. Left hand is partially paralyzed, very little feeling, and has little to no dexterity and the right is getting worse. all from nerve damage. I just thought that the electronic would save a lot of aggravation.

#10: Re: Need help Author: AloysiusLocation: B., Belgium PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:32 am
    ----
maybe put a (small) motor on your powder tickler to solve that problem with your hands? One of this cheap battery operated screwdrivers could fix that for you.

As for me: being a chemical engineer I still use a small spoon and my fingers as I learned long time ago during lab-work and as long as I have a steady hand, why should I change to electronics?

#11: Re: Need help Author: Grey_Wolf PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:21 am
    ----
I have the RCBS Chargemaster and love it. There are a couple of mods to do from the factory that made it better for me. The first one was to turn the damned beeping off! Beeps and such drive me nuts lol. The other was the MccDonalds straw in the tube that helps with powder flow. I have read that it needs to be warmed up and not placed near fluorescent lights though I haven't seen an issue with not warming up and don't have those lights in my room. I will occasionally check a charge to the balance beam and always calibrate before using - it's simple and they give you the weights.

Overall I'm happy I got it

#12: Re: Need help Author: TRBLSHTRLocation: Lower 48's-left coast(near portlandia) PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:03 pm
    ----
Scratch I have one of the fancy lyman electronic monsters and wish that I would'nt have wasted the money for it.It is not as accurate as the old balance beam scale and trickler.I even put the speed up kit in it,and I still need to use the trickler.The thing will vary at times+or-.1 grain,which gives a max spread of .2!And it is affected by all sorts of forces like;opening or closing of a door(slight air movement),flourescent lights,radiowaves of nearby sources,magnetic fields from radios or televisions when turned on,probably cell phones then also-this I have not resurched yet!I now use this electronic mutha for a dust collector until I can get an aluminum 3 sided box made to cover it when in use to help to alleiviate some of the interferance of outside sources.Stay with the old school stuff-it's kinder to the bank account!

#13: Re: Need help Author: hunterjoe21Location: Miles City, Montana PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:24 pm
    ----
RFI (radio frequency interference) will affect most,if not all, of the lower priced electronic scales. After I reworked my garage back in Ohio and retrofitted the fluorescent lights (from T-12 to T-8) my RCBS scale went crazy on me. It took a while to figure out that the newer electronic ballasts were causing the issue. I took down the retrofitted fixtures directly above the loading bench and hung a couple original ones and the problem went away. I still couldn't use a radio in there when the lights were on though. I have a single 4' LED fixture above the bench in it's new home and don't seem to have any issues with it. I do find it necessary to turn off the furnace in the garage (air movement) and I can't use it too close to the radio. I hadn't really thought about the cell phone issue, but there may be something to it. I was working on some loads yesterday with the radio and furnace both turned off, but had my phone in my shirt pocket and noticed it wavering slightly every once in a while.

#14: Re: Need help Author: TRBLSHTRLocation: Lower 48's-left coast(near portlandia) PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:28 pm
    ----
Sad Maybe I'll start wearing my tin foil hat as well-might help. wtf

#15: Re: Need help Author: hunterjoe21Location: Miles City, Montana PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:56 pm
    ----
TRBLSHTR wrote:
:( Maybe I'll start wearing my tin foil hat as well-might help. wtf

Make sure you get some pictures...

-> Reloading Ammunition