Disney shutting down our studio, loosing my Job
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> General

#16: Re: Disney shutting down our studio, loosing my Job Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 3:25 pm
    ----
WOW..

#17: Re: Disney shutting down our studio, loosing my Job Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 5:02 pm
    ----
That stinks Dallan. I've been laid off twice, and contracted back both times. The second time I didn't even have time to start cleaning my desk before they called me back to the office for the contract. It's still no fun though.

I hope you get things sorted out quickly!

#18: Re: Disney shutting down our studio, loosing my Job Author: BigBlueLocation: Lehigh Township, Pennsylvania PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:54 am
    ----
Very sorry to hear about this, I know I'd also hate to have to leave Utah. Hopefully something even better comes from it all. Any chance that you could get together with your co-workers and form your own employee owned company?

#19: Re: Disney shutting down our studio, loosing my Job Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:30 pm
    ----
Update:

The global company 3M invited most of the software engineers to a Job Fair, apparently they got our contact info from my current companies HR dept.

Anywho they gave us an overview of what they are doing (Hospital Coding software), and how with their growth, they need to hire 100 engineers ASAP, with several hundred more to follow in the next year or two.

I got pulled off to interview with 2 different groups, one of which went really well and they gave me a surprise programming test (easy), afterward they said they would follow up with an offer. Fast forward a week to last Friday, they called and made a pretty decent offer, all things considered. Slight increase in salary over what I was making before, giving me an additional weeks vacation and a few more perks.

I thought about it over the weekend and called them today to accept. I will tentatively start on July 25th... it feels really weird to now have a job, especially when I really never even applied for one.

So, all things considered, while I am losing the job of my preference, I'm still landing on my feet, with some free time off between now and my start date.

-DallanC

#20: Re: Disney shutting down our studio, loosing my Job Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:55 pm
    ----
Great news Dallan!
Glad to hear!

#21: Re: Disney shutting down our studio, loosing my Job Author: dhc4everLocation: Ipswich, Queensland Australia PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:09 pm
    ----
Good news Dallan.
Any job when your over 40 is a bonus.
Over 55 is a f.....g miracle.

#22: Re: Disney shutting down our studio, loosing my Job Author: dhc4everLocation: Ipswich, Queensland Australia PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:10 pm
    ----
Flaming miracle......

#23: Re: Disney shutting down our studio, loosing my Job Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:10 pm
    ----
You lose your job, get a raise and more free time....

It never worked that way for me... well it did but why admit it.

GOOD deal Dallan!
I am happy for you!

#24: Re: Disney shutting down our studio, loosing my Job Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:09 pm
    ----
great to hear it Mate.

#25: Re: Disney shutting down our studio, loosing my Job Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:55 am
    ----
That is awesome news Dallan, absolutely outstanding...and not only did you land on your feet, but you've had a couple of wins into the bargain mate. There's no two ways about it, you have the luck of the Irish on your side mate.

Now the big question...will you have to move or can you stay in Utah?

#26: Re: Disney shutting down our studio, loosing my Job Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:44 pm
    ----
Vince wrote:
absolutely outstanding

+1!!!

#27: Re: Disney shutting down our studio, loosing my Job Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:25 pm
    ----
Yea!!! Good fer you Dallan!!!
Lucky to have the background you have. So glad everything is working out for you. As Vinnie said I hope you can still sit in Utah, it seems like a hunter's playground dream.

All the best to ya
Suz

#28: Re: Disney shutting down our studio, loosing my Job Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:14 pm
    ----
That's great Dallan!! As an old friend said, "The cream always rises to the top." Glad your new boss recognized ability.

#29: Re: Disney shutting down our studio, loosing my Job Author: EremiusLocation: Owosso, MI PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:37 am
    ----
DallanC wrote:
So, all things considered, while I am losing the job of my preference, I'm still landing on my feet, with some free time off between now and my start date.

Probably fewer death marches with this one as well.

Congrats on the new job! I am sure I know a few people who would also be glad to know you landed on your feet.

#30: Re: Disney shutting down our studio, loosing my Job Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:43 pm
    ----
Thanks everyone! Working through all their hiring requirements now.. I passed the background checks, went in for the drug testing stupidness yesterday. ATM, I should be all GTG.

Eremius wrote:
Probably fewer death marches with this one as well.

Congrats on the new job! I am sure I know a few people who would also be glad to know you landed on your feet.

Hey man, haven't heard from you in ages. You still hang out on that "other" site?

But yea, thats another big perk to this place, they dont allow people to work weekends at all, and overtime is a very rare thing. Its a very structured environment there, which has pro's and cons. Its going to be a huge culture shock where they have dress codes and whatnot compared to games, where they are lucky if people show up even wearing clothes.

LOL

-DallanC

-> General