Adding 2 stroke oil into diesel
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> Spam-O-Rama

#1: Adding 2 stroke oil into diesel Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:48 pm
    ----
I heard that adding some 2 stroke oil in diesel would improve the engine performance.
Anybody here tried this before?

#2: Re: Adding 2 stroke oil into diesel Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:41 pm
    ----
I would never advocate anything illegal of course... but *theoretically* you can dump in a can of Snowmobile 2 stoke oil, the blue stuff... into a tank of red / white "off road" diesel, and it turns it a nice blue that looks exactly like "on road diesel". Engine runs fine that way, mine always did... Wink

Now that would probably cause problems with the new Urea exhaust systems that try to dampen excess particulates.

-DallanC

#3: Re: Adding 2 stroke oil into diesel Author: pete4dLocation: Dixie , Alabama , & Louisiana PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:34 pm
    ----
A little yellow food coloring mixed w/ red make diesel green , just saying Wink

#4: Re: Adding 2 stroke oil into diesel Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:15 pm
    ----
Ah.. so it is a tax thing..
LOL OK I did not realize that.

#5: Re: Adding 2 stroke oil into diesel Author: Grey_Wolf PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:53 pm
    ----
In the old days I knew guys that ran a little atf in the fuel. Said it was better lubrication and cleaned the injectors. Actually now that I'm thinking about it I remember an outfit I worked for had a mix at a bulk agency, put gas in the diesel tank, and the company bought the mix. They added some atf and burned that in the company trucks. It was diluted so that there was 5% gas in the diesel. I'm with Dallan on this now though - not sure that today’s engines would work with it and being that I pay the tow/repair bills now I'm too chicken to try.

#6: Re: Adding 2 stroke oil into diesel Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:15 am
    ----
Adding 2 stroke oil is about lubrication !!!

When the switch to ultra low sulfer fuel was made it created a lubrication issue with the older engines. ( injector pump and injectors )
The use of 2 stroke oil is a cheaper alternative to other fuel lubricating additives.
To my understanding there is no harm associated with using it. After all it's oil and diesel engines are oil burners.
Personally I don't understand why some run it in the newer engines, it does shorten the time between regens.

#7: Re: Adding 2 stroke oil into diesel Author: TRBLSHTRLocation: Lower 48's-left coast(near portlandia) PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:22 pm
    ----
wtf I have done it for years in a 7.3 powerstroke-outboard motor oil and diesel conditioner in the winter works a charm as Vince would say!Trouble is that now I believe that my truck has an addiction,and needs a fix with every tank of this green crap they call diesel!It seems to be more like kerosine,or old JP5 jet fuel with no oils left in it for lubrication.And the stuff that they burn in home heating fuel now seems like the old high sulfer(oily) diesel!I also used to burn the "salad dressing"diesel fuel(B20)But it seems to have it's own unique set of problems when the outside temps drop below 40 degs.F..

#8: Re: Adding 2 stroke oil into diesel Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:43 pm
    ----
Thnaks for the comments.

What I heard is exactly that, improved lubrication thus improve the milage and better engine running.
I also heard that the trick works well in older engines because their injector systems are not as small as the the new high fuel pressure engines.

My hunting vehicle is an old Landcruiser, I suppose I could give it a go..
Wish me luck, will put in a 1:200 mixture in today and will calculate the milage (if any) difference. Might be a while tho, since I am not planning to go for the next few weeks yet.

#9: Re: Adding 2 stroke oil into diesel Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:52 pm
    ----
KERO Mate.....
check out difference between winter diesel and summer diesel
over here the diesel in winter is more yellow and I believe it is oilier it doesnt freeze in fuel lines like summer grade stuff
I believe guys chuck kero in with diesel during really cold spells to help with this issue too.

#10: Re: Adding 2 stroke oil into diesel Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:34 pm
    ----
Yup, Kerosene is really the difference between #1 and #2 diesel. Lowers the gelling point of the fuel. I froze up a diesel truck once on the freeway on my way to college. Was warm enough to drive through town but on the road the windchill was enough to plug lines. I had forgotten to get the winter diesel before the storm hit Sad

Cost me $150 for the tow to the dealer to get it running again (they just stuck it in a corner of the heated shop and let it warm back up).

-DallanC

#11: Re: Adding 2 stroke oil into diesel Author: dhc4everLocation: Ipswich, Queensland Australia PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:11 pm
    ----
Geland,
A 200:1 mix is what you are after, it improves the lubricity of the fuel.
Performance gains are usuall sfa unless your injectors are really dirty, it seems 2 stroke has a slight cleaning effect.
I've been using it on and off for several years so far so good.

Heres a bit of light reading

www.freel2.com/forum/t...hlight=oil

Cheers

Last edited by dhc4ever on Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:32 am; edited 1 time in total

#12: Re: Adding 2 stroke oil into diesel Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:58 am
    ----
Awesome!
Just chucked in about 250 cc (all I got left in the bottle) into my 90 liter tank, um about 1:350.
Maybe work maybe not.

#13: Re: Adding 2 stroke oil into diesel Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:20 am
    ----
keep me posted Mate I will be watching this with interest.

#14: Re: Adding 2 stroke oil into diesel Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:05 am
    ----
For sure mate, this is interesting experiment for me.

If I have some time I may go to the stores and buy some more oil to make it 1:200 ratio.
We'll see.

#15: Re: Adding 2 stroke oil into diesel Author: dhc4everLocation: Ipswich, Queensland Australia PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:31 am
    ----
Cheapest 2 stroke thats mineral and meets the spec is Gulf , found in Supercheap autos, around $25 for 4liters
The next one is Castrol mineral 2t, but its around $45 for 4 liters.

-> Spam-O-Rama