Going to Start Coyote Hunting!
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> Varmint Hunting

#1: Going to Start Coyote Hunting! Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:16 am
    ----
As soon as deer season is over, I'm going to head to the field to hunt coyotes. I need to get me a digital caller with remote control. Any equipment recommendations and tips for success would be appreciated. Got the 24" 5.56 sighted in at 200 yards with 40gr Vmax (3650 fps mv). Also, can load the 6.8mm SPC up with 110 Vmax.

#2: Re: Going to Start Coyote Hunting! Author: DawgdadLocation: On the Prairie PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:08 am
    ----
Slim - I think once you see a hard charger coming at you with the teeth bared you will be hooked.

YMMV in the .223 but I have had better luck with the 55gr V-max at 3200 fps than the lighter ones going faster. I got too many runners and splash hits with the lighter ones. I am not saying not to try a few of the 40gr it but it took a clean boiler room shot to bang flop them like I prefer to do with the 40-50gr Vmax.
For true bang flop performance - 58 gr V-max at 3700fps in the .243... no exit holes with those either - jellys the innards. Easy on fur.

I use the 110 Vmax in .308 with 30-06 and .308 Win bolt gun - no issues there. The yote in my avatar was taken at 462 yards with the 110 Vmax in 30-06. If you have dope on that 6.8 110gr load out to 300 yards use the 6.8 without hesitation. 99% of all coyotes killed are under 100 yards anyway.

Several different E-callers out there but as newbie starting out I think the Icotec models are a great value. Good sounds and decent volume for about 1/3 the price of a FoxPro. If you get hooked and start doing it more often - You MAY decide to upgrade. I find it rewarding to use hand calls to. You have to be on your game and speaking coyote with those.

Good luck!

#3: Re: Going to Start Coyote Hunting! Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:04 pm
    ----
Yotes up here are educated. .223 and .243 most popular in that order. Wiley devils. Every night they get something to eat around my spot....blood curdling noises. Never get used to it.

Had a BIG black bear wander into my yard few weeks ago. Had the 2" Ruger Alaskan handy with 300 PUNCH in the roller all night! No yote's that night in the yard- was wondering why it was so quiet....I walk outside and WHOA! Shocked Laughing

#4: Re: Going to Start Coyote Hunting! Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:19 pm
    ----
Dawgdad wrote:
in the .223 but I have had better luck with the 55gr V-max at 3200 fps than the lighter ones going faster. .... I think the Icotec models are a great value. Good sounds and decent volume for about 1/3 the price of a FoxPro.

I would expect the 55gr Vmax to do better but I already have a bunch of 40gr in my ammo can that shoots 1" groups at 250 yards. Even with the high mv, the 40 gr Vmax lose most of their punch by 200 yards. The other nice thing about using the 110gr 6.8mm bullets is if hogs wander on the scene, I'm GTG.

Thanks for the tip on the Icotec. I've been blown away by the prices on the FoxPros for the type of electronic equipment they are. I hope to be all prep'd and ready to go by mid-Jan.

#5: Re: Going to Start Coyote Hunting! Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:21 pm
    ----
Well, Cabelas had a FoxPro Spitfire on sale for 1/2 price so grabbed one to just get started and learn with. Hopefully it will do the job.

#6: Re: Going to Start Coyote Hunting! Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:34 pm
    ----
Good buy Slim...you done good mate.

#7: Re: Going to Start Coyote Hunting! Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:15 pm
    ----
Dawgdad wrote:
in the .223 but I have had better luck with the 55gr V-max at 3200 fps than the lighter ones going faster. ....

I also just received some 62gr Federal MSR (bonded-core Speer bullet). I may give these a try.

#8: Re: Going to Start Coyote Hunting! Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:12 pm
    ----
SlimJ you have to check out this website
Varmint Al's

Lots of coyote calling DIY stuff. I made one of the callers and gave it to young guy for X-mas last year, he loved it and tormented his neighbors with it non-stop. He and his dad went out and hunted together with it and had a great time.

Suz

#9: Re: Going to Start Coyote Hunting! Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:31 am
    ----
Suz, great site with valuable insight and mp3 files to use. Thanks.

#10: Re: Going to Start Coyote Hunting! Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:40 pm
    ----
A magnificent site full of great tips...thanks Suz.

I'm not sure a lot of the calls he has will be useful out (down) here in Australia, but I'm pretty sure I can find suitable calls online. Wild dogs are very different to coyotes but I'm sure the appropriate call will bring them in to their demise.

#11: Re: Going to Start Coyote Hunting! Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:07 pm
    ----
Slimjim...see if your .223 likes hornady 50 grn SPSX at around the 3000fps mark........ they were simply awesome on our wallabies which are similar size and weight. that said any speer pill Ive tried,works too,havent seen need to try vmax myself as in big country and ricochet isnt a problem/issue.

#12: Re: Going to Start Coyote Hunting! Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:18 pm
    ----
Wally's! Sooo cute.

Bet they make good slippers!?

#13: Re: Going to Start Coyote Hunting! Author: AloysiusLocation: B., Belgium PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:24 am
    ----
stovepipe wrote:
Wally's! Sooo cute.

Bet they make good slippers!?

I think you are small enough so they can be used to make a bob-sled for you Smile

#14: Re: Going to Start Coyote Hunting! Author: inthedarkLocation: Ontario PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:56 am
    ----
You may want to try some Sierra or Speer 52gn HPBT Match with 34.0 gn or so of Varget and Winchester primers. Good medicine for the 22-250 or .223

Wink

#15: Re: Going to Start Coyote Hunting! Author: DawgdadLocation: On the Prairie PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:54 pm
    ----
34 gr. of Varget is great for the 22-250 but you will have a hard time getting much more than 27 gr. in a 223... Very Happy

-> Varmint Hunting