Game Camera Help?
-> Big Game Hunting

#1: Game Camera Help? Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:12 pm
    ----
Wow, I'm not sure I've seen any market segment with so many choices. Any recommendations on what game camera to get to watch over my feeder?

#2: Re: Game Camera Help? Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:23 pm
    ----
I got a cheap one from Aldi (a grocer brand in Australia) seems to work ok.

#3: Re: Game Camera Help? Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:44 am
    ----
I didn't realise ALDI had trail cameras Gelan...will have to have a look next time I'm in the store. Thanks mate.

#4: Re: Game Camera Help? Author: AloysiusLocation: B., Belgium PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:13 am
    ----
Aldi and Lidl are german grocers.
But also have a look at the internet, some already offer them for 50 US $. And it's easier on your mind when somebody steals 50 $ from you than when it's 500 $.

#5: Re: Game Camera Help? Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:57 am
    ----
Aloysius wrote:
some already offer them for 50 US $. And it's easier on your mind when somebody steals 50 $ from you than when it's 500 $.

I didn't think of it from that perspective Aloys, but now I will.

I was going to do the feeder first (with hog panels)
then the camera
then the blind

I may still hunt the feeder this year just to get to know the place before I build a blind. Maybe a tripod to get some elevation but if I'm willing to do a 250-300 yard shot I can do it from the hillside down into the clearing area where the feeder is.

#6: Re: Game Camera Help? Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:59 am
    ----
from what I'm seeing, you

-don't need a high MP camera
-do need a fast trigger speed
-do need IR black (preferred) or IR red for night to not startle the game, especially ones that would be wary.
-do need long battery life.

#7: Re: Game Camera Help? Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:43 pm
    ----
Don't forget the need to hide the camera and make it as secure as possible so any thieving bastards that come across it don't decide to "relocate it" to their backpack.

There have been a few chats about trail cameras over the years Slim...

Food for thought in this one - www.huntingnut.com/ind...pic&t=5158

www.huntingnut.com/ind...pic&t=6222

www.huntingnut.com/ind...pic&t=3577

www.huntingnut.com/ind...pic&t=2999

www.huntingnut.com/ind...pic&t=2574

www.huntingnut.com/ind...pic&t=2107

www.huntingnut.com/ind...pic&t=1895

www.huntingnut.com/ind...pic&t=1854

#8: Re: Game Camera Help? Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:13 pm
    ----
Ok, Vince, how did you find these? My searches brought up not one item. Thanks!

#9: Re: Game Camera Help? Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:11 pm
    ----
I knew they were all in the Photography/Trail Cameras Forum mate. A simple flick through the various threads, there's only four pages of them, and I was able to identify these threads. My pleasure mate.

#10: Re: Game Camera Help? Author: AloysiusLocation: B., Belgium PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:34 am
    ----
just another advice: try to get them with a shorter starting delay than 3 seconds. Mine only have 3 seconds delay as shorstest and that should be much shorter as I'm missing when something is just walking trough the detection area.

#11: Re: Game Camera Help? Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:31 pm
    ----
Confused
How old is your camera Aloy?
I believe most of the newer system have starting delay of 1 second or less.

#12: Re: Game Camera Help? Author: AloysiusLocation: B., Belgium PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:24 am
    ----
they are not that old (I'm much older Smile ).
I bought them about 2 years ago from Askari.de and once you have learned how to operate them, they work OK but the shortest delay is 3 seconds (what makes it very difficult to catch an animal, person or a car passing by)
And in my opinion foxes and wild boar can see (or feel?) the IR-light, so or you need another flash instead of the red LED's, or you have to place the camera high and far away.

And it's nice that they have such a reloadable battery-pack, but that's also a weakness. When a camera has to function for longer periods, I just add a small 12 V DC car (or motorbike) battery as I don't trust these reloadable battery inside the camera anymore. So an entrance for an extern 12 V DC supply can also be recommended.

#13: Re: Game Camera Help? Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:54 am
    ----
Hmmm, cheap one in case it gets stolen; 12v battery, no IR flash, Hmmmm

-> Big Game Hunting