Venison snack sticks
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> General

#1: Venison snack sticks Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 5:46 pm
    ----
My first attempt at deer snack sticks Laughing .. I'm using Hi mountain cures ( original flavor ) snack stick kit.. Did up 2 pounds , filled the casings and put them in the fridge to cure . Tomorrow I will fire up my new smoker ( from cabelas ) and smoke them with hickory chips for 2-3 hours . I make a lot of jerky with Hi mountain cures and like it so hopefully these will turn out as good .. Any body else make the snack sticks ?

Joe

#2: Re: Venison snack sticks Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 7:23 pm
    ----
shrpshtrjoe, I will need a picture when you are done in order to "experience" the venison snack sticks

#3: Re: Venison snack sticks Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 7:50 pm
    ----
That sounds awesome Joe. Wonde if a product like that us available in Oz.

#4: Re: Venison snack sticks Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:31 pm
    ----
Ive stuffed a salami casing with sausage mix then slow cooked on top of fire box in smoker overnight. turned out ok just had to keep it in fridge and fight the kids for it.

#5: Re: Venison snack sticks Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:32 pm
    ----
I made a few kilos of beef jerky and the never made it to storage..
Eaten within the hour of it coming out of the drier.. Sad

#6: Re: Venison snack sticks Author: dhc4everLocation: Ipswich, Queensland Australia PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 1:11 am
    ----
Fight the kids for it.......
How well I know that one.
Bloody teenagers.

#7: Re: Venison snack sticks Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 3:31 am
    ----
slimjim wrote:
shrpshtrjoe, I will need a picture when you are done in order to "experience" the venison snack sticks

ROFL Ill see what I can do Slim ...

Vince

Quote::
That sounds awesome Joe. Wonde if a product like that us available in Oz.

I would think so Vince these are the kits i'm trying
www.himtnjerky.com/sna...ticks.html

#8: Re: Venison snack sticks Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:26 am
    ----
Oooh...Home made Slim Jims and pepperoni sticks. Got it. Yes...Need to know how they come out.

#9: Re: Venison snack sticks Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 9:18 am
    ----
A rack before i put them in the smoker

#10: Re: Venison snack sticks Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 9:49 am
    ----
The finished product Very Happy .. Between 2 and 2 1/2 hrs at 200 degrees they said to get the internal temp to 165 I took it to 170 and smoked with hickory for about half the time. There not that bad Very Happy the next batch I think i'll smoke with apple wood and compare them.

#11: Re: Venison snack sticks Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 5:19 pm
    ----
Damn!! Now I'm not only hungry, but thirsty too. Where's the beer?

#12: Re: Venison snack sticks Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:23 am
    ----
Bushmaster wrote:
Damn!! Now I'm not only hungry, but thirsty too. Where's the beer?

You and me together Bushy...they look awesome.

Good job Joe...I'm droolin' all over my keyboard mate.

#13: Re: Venison snack sticks Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:31 am
    ----
Ohh mann!! Those looks yummy!!!
Damn.. now I goota get me some cabanossi.. otherwise there wont be any sleep tonight..
There goes my diet..

#14: Re: Venison snack sticks Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:59 am
    ----
hmm now I will have to go searching...two gluten free mouths in our house and one that cant handle preservative 202 makes shopping a little tricky.

#15: Re: Venison snack sticks Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 6:44 am
    ----
Those look good!!
What kind of casing are you using? Natural or artificial, was wondering if the smoke penetrated the casing very well.

Suz

-> General