Big Cat
-> Varmint Hunting

#1: Big Cat Author: moose2Location: North Idaho PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:25 pm
    ----
Been having a cougar hanging out down by the creek by my pasture. Had tracks one morning out on the patio. Took a walk this afternoon with my lab. Found fresh tracks again down by the creek. Quite a few deer yarded up along the creek so I imagine they are a big draw for the cats. My lab had a hard time getting her nose out of the tracks this afternoon Finally got her to come back and we headed for home. Makes going for a walk a little more exciting. My wife refuses to go out after dark right now. She has no sense of adventure. Smile

#2: Re: Big Cat Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:29 pm
    ----
you look out for ya dog mate...I would hate to hear it had been eaten!!!

#3: Re: Big Cat Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:28 am
    ----
Are they legal to be shot at?

And they say animals in Oz are dangerous..

#4: Re: Big Cat Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:39 am
    ----
I'd love to see a big cat in the wild...they are so majestic...and bloody dangerous too.

#5: Re: Big Cat Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:19 am
    ----
I know I don't have tell you to be watchful and carful.

I do agree with you Vince. Cougars are one of the most beautiful cats in the wild.

#6: Re: Big Cat Author: TremblayLocation: Malta, Montana PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:08 pm
    ----
THIS PICTURE TAKEN OUT BACK OF A FRIENDS HOUSE IN ZORTMAN WITH AN I.R. CAMERA. MOM AND THREE LITTLE ONES.

#7: Re: Big Cat Author: moose2Location: North Idaho PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:49 pm
    ----
These big cats are something to see in the wild for sure. Of all my years working and hunting in the woods, I've only had the occasion to see two of them, and we do have a good population of them in this area. The thing that sticks out in my mind when seeing them, is the eyes. They are just piercing, and really make you take note. Cats are legal to shoot here, with the proper permit. My neighbor had one at his place two weeks ago. More than likely this same cat. He did see it at dusk and did take a shot at it, but missed. My son checked out the tracks yesterday. He reminded me of one of our hunts together, when walking back to the truck after a hunt, we had cougar tracks in our tracks in the snow. He still thinks about that. I've had that happen on three separate occasions when hunting when there was snow on the ground. It is somewhat of a eerie feeling to know that a big cat is checking you out. Just wonder how many times that really happens, and one has no idea that they are around.
Nice catch on the camera Tremblay. Thanks for sharing it.

#8: Re: Big Cat Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:37 pm
    ----
I hear ya Moose.

Years ago when I was around 35 years old I was hunting in the Cascades of Washington east of Seattle. I was using my pickup bed as a tented shelter. When I woke up the next morning there were cat tracks right up to my feet. Must have been bad smelling feet 'cause he/she left without incident. I might add that they were the biggest tracks I have ever seen, even to this day.

-> Varmint Hunting