Not sure if it is a go..
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> Varmint Hunting

#1: Not sure if it is a go.. Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:19 am
    ----
Last week my mate come over again and invite me to go to his farm and shoot some rabbits.
Oh yeah! of course I will go..
Then today he came over saying that his aunt passed away this morning. Sad
But he say come anyway tomorrow and have a shoot for the afternoon.
So, look like I will have another chance.. wish me luck.

PS. I feel a bit rotten going enjoying myself on his farm when he is there feeling sad in the wake.
But chance to go for some recoil are far in between now a days..
Hmm Confused
What would you do?

#2: Re: Not sure if it is a go.. Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:23 am
    ----
GO!! Your mate needs the diversion.

#3: Re: Not sure if it is a go.. Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:13 pm
    ----
I agree, get out there and provide some entertainment for them to get their minds off.........don't show them the dead bunnies or make faces while holding one up by the neck with his head cocked over....just a thought.

I went to a memorial last weekend and afterwards everyone was pretty much in good spirits. It's a welcome sight to see someone enjoyin the day.

Suz

#4: Re: Not sure if it is a go.. Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:04 pm
    ----
yip recoil therapy will be a great distraction.

#5: Re: Not sure if it is a go.. Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:28 pm
    ----
Ok just got back.
Got me 24 rabbits, just an even couple of dozen.
Photos coming tomorrow Smile

The country side is quite bleak.
The water tanks (dams) level is way down maybe to about 1/3 of what it used to be.
The grass that was nice and green last year is now all yellow due lack of rain over the last few months.
I think the rabbit population is a bit down from last year because of the low rain too.
I left a pile of guts, heads and feet in a remote meadow, but after 2 days there are no sign of foxes coming for them either.
No signs of deer that I saw last year, but I saw some of what looks like goat shit..
If no deer around goats would do too..

All in all I have quite a good time.

#6: Re: Not sure if it is a go.. Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:44 am
    ----
sounds like you had fun and did farmer a favour so you will be welcome back. enjoy the eating.

#7: Re: Not sure if it is a go.. Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:18 pm
    ----
Here is a photo of the varmints and dried ground.

Bleak isn't it?

#8: Re: Not sure if it is a go.. Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:22 pm
    ----
They don't look under fed! Good shooting!

Did you share some with your friend?

#9: Re: Not sure if it is a go.. Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:47 pm
    ----
PaulS wrote:

Did you share some with your friend?

Absolutely, I only brought 3 back with me, the rest gone to the landlord's freezer.

#10: Re: Not sure if it is a go.. Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:25 am
    ----
It looks hellish dry mate, but there is obviously some sort of pick out there for the bunnies...they look nice and plump mate.

How is your mate now Gelan...did the afternoon out take his mind of the unpleasant side of things?

#11: Re: Not sure if it is a go.. Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:09 pm
    ----
Well, one thing for sure, we did not discuss his aunt at all on that rip.
I reckon if he want to talk about it he will bring the topic up.
But since he did not, neither would I.

#12: Re: Not sure if it is a go.. Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:32 pm
    ----
You should have been a psychologist.

#13: Re: Not sure if it is a go.. Author: AloysiusLocation: B., Belgium PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:53 pm
    ----
Geland, what did you drink? Must have been heavy stuff... did you see all the rabbits in double? I can only count 12 on your picture. I like to learn the trick to jump from 12 to 24. Or do you have such a small camera that 12 rabbits already fill a picture? Smile

Good hunting!

And I have an honnest question: the 2 middle ones on the lower row in your pictures, do they miss some fur? How come?

#14: Re: Not sure if it is a go.. Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:29 pm
    ----
I did not take photos of the other batch..
They all look the same anyway.

The blood soaked fur is due to the rabbits being stacked together in a box at the back of the car for taking them from the field to the place I process them.

#15: Re: Not sure if it is a go.. Author: AloysiusLocation: B., Belgium PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:57 pm
    ----
you work in batches...
might be a good idea as my mates seem to have troubles in counting. It was not the first time they counted wrong. Luckely that's something I can blame my mates, when I'm shooting my airrifle without pellets, then they blame me Smile

And blood. I was expecting some nasty disease. Them wabbits sure don't have an easy life...

-> Varmint Hunting