Ruger American Rifle
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#1: Ruger American Rifle Author: tlo7mmLocation: Oregon PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:39 pm
    ----
Been thinking about getting a Ruger American Rifle, compact model in .243. Does anyone have experience with the Ruger American? I have heard good reviews on it but I would like to hear first hand.

#2: Re: Ruger American Rifle Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:02 pm
    ----
My son just bought two Ruger American - in 22LR.
It has a "copy" of the "acu-trigger" or something that at least resembles it and it is adjustable down to 3 pounds. Over-all the rifle is well made but the stock is plastic - which turns out to have some advantages but it is still plastic.
The rear of the stock has a detachable section that can be replaced with a shorter carbine stock or with a monte-carlo style high cheek-piece. It has photo-optic front sight and a "V" groove on the rear with a white diamond below the "V". They are very easy to access and align.
The trigger pull was strange to me because it has the small lever that protrudes and it felt like it had a long creep until I realized that it was the safety and not the trigger that was moving. He has a Ruger 40S&W with the same type of safety on it so he is used to it.

Were were going to put in some shooting time at the range today but we joined the work party instead. We will go out next weekend to sight it in and to try hitting some metal targets on the silhouette range. (he made us both a full set of the four targets (five of each) in each set. So we will be shooting together next weekend. I may go this week to get some practice in but he works so I will have to suffer through the recoil therapy alone.

#3: Re: Ruger American Rifle Author: BigBlueLocation: Lehigh Township, Pennsylvania PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:56 am
    ----
I just ordered a Ruger American Compact in .308. I've read nothing but good things about them and at $349 I couldn't pass it up. I'd prefer the M77 Hawkeye Compact for it's better quality, but the American, with it's free floated barrel, gets very good accuracy reviews. For the price you can have two of these for the cost of one M77. I like shorter rifles for their handling characteristics and with it's 1" shorter than standard length of pull, for use with heavy winter clothing.

#4: Re: Ruger American Rifle Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:34 pm
    ----
Let us know what your first impression is and the range results when you get some time in to shoot it.

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions