S&W K-38 Target Masterpiece followed me home
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> General

#1: S&W K-38 Target Masterpiece followed me home Author: ElyBoyLocation: Forest Lake Minnesota PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:08 pm
    ----
I was by a Gander Mountain store today that I don't live by.
Naturally, I had to check out their used guns.
So there it was--right in front of my eyes, a S&W K-38 Target Masterpiece with a set of Eagle Target grips.[I figure Eagle because they have the diamond around the screw]
The gun is in pristine condition. Not a mark on it. I believe that this is a late '50s model.
It had a fair price, I went home and found a trade in gun, and did the deal.
I reload for the .38 special and have a lot of brass and bullets on hand.
This gun is as pretty as my Model 29-2 .44 mag.
Can't wait to go to the range and give it a try. I have heard that these guns are tack drivers.
Maybe I'll tell Judy about it after her operation tomorrow. For some reason, she never believes the great deals that I get on these guns. No sense to upset her methinks.

Hug

Eric

#2: Re: S&W K-38 Target Masterpiece followed me home Author: ElyBoyLocation: Forest Lake Minnesota PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:52 pm
    ----
Out of possible trouble.
Entire Family wants to shoot it. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Eric

#3: Re: S&W K-38 Target Masterpiece followed me home Author: 10spotterminatorLocation: Redmond, Oregon PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:08 am
    ----
I found mine nearly 2 years ago and it gets the most range time of all my guns by far. You are going to love this one for sure . Congrats and welcome to the club.

10 Spot

#4: Re: S&W K-38 Target Masterpiece followed me home Author: Gil MartinLocation: Schnecksville, PA PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:10 am
    ----
Great choice! I like a story with a happy ending. All the best...
Gil

#5: Re: S&W K-38 Target Masterpiece followed me home Author: English MikeLocation: Whitehaven, Cumbria, UK PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:01 pm
    ----
Pictures man, pictures! Razz

#6: Re: S&W K-38 Target Masterpiece followed me home Author: ElyBoyLocation: Forest Lake Minnesota PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:11 pm
    ----
I will try to get my Daughter Hope to help me with some pictures.
From what I can tell, this gun was made around 1957. The serial numbers have no letters which means that it is an older gun.
Trust me, and I hope that I can get some pictures up, this gun looks like it came right out of the box.
Not a mark or scratch on it.
Looking down the bore with a bore light is like looking at an unfired weapon.

This will be a fun one for the Range for sure.

Eric

#7: Re: S&W K-38 Target Masterpiece followed me home Author: ElyBoyLocation: Forest Lake Minnesota PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:46 pm
    ----
I do have a question on this gun.
I see that the serial number is under the barrel where the cylinder extractor pin is.
The serial number is K 27OOPS. (Thanks Vince)
After spending time on the net. I'm now thinking that this gun was made between 1951-1954.
I'm not so interested in date of manufacture that I'm willing to pay S&W $50.00 to find out, but am I thinking correctly on these dates?

Eric

Last edited by ElyBoy on Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

#8: Re: S&W K-38 Target Masterpiece followed me home Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:16 pm
    ----
Eric, ya silly bugger...don't publicise the Serial number mate. Unscrupulous morons can copy and use it for nefarious purposes.

#9: Re: S&W K-38 Target Masterpiece followed me home Author: Ominivision1Location: Iowa PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:50 am
    ----
According to my book, K 273xxx was made in 1956.

#10: Re: S&W K-38 Target Masterpiece followed me home Author: AzarLocation: Utah PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:53 am
    ----
Vince wrote:
Eric, ya silly bugger...don't publicise the Serial number mate. Unscrupulous morons can copy and use it for nefarious purposes.

Vince,

Pardon my ignorance, but this is always something I've wondered about. What can someone do if they have the full serial number to one of your firearms? I know that nearly everyone XXX out the last few digits, but I've just never fully understood why...

#11: Re: S&W K-38 Target Masterpiece followed me home Author: ElyBoyLocation: Forest Lake Minnesota PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:13 pm
    ----
Thanks for the heads up Vince. I never knew that.
I will change it right now.

Eric

#12: Re: S&W K-38 Target Masterpiece followed me home Author: ElyBoyLocation: Forest Lake Minnesota PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:24 pm
    ----
Thanks Omin for the date.

Eric

#13: Re: S&W K-38 Target Masterpiece followed me home Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:55 am
    ----
Azar wrote:
Vince wrote:

Vince,

Pardon my ignorance, but this is always something I've wondered about. What can someone do if they have the full serial number to one of your firearms? I know that nearly everyone XXX out the last few digits, but I've just never fully understood why...

There is always the possibility mate...plus you don't want anybody and everybody knowing exactly what you have.

It has always been accepted that you don't publicise the entire serial number for security purposes...I know I wouldn't.

#14: Re: S&W K-38 Target Masterpiece followed me home Author: ElyBoyLocation: Forest Lake Minnesota PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:38 pm
    ----
I'm glad you said something about this Vince.
Learn something new all of the time.
Thanks.

Eric

#15: Re: S&W K-38 Target Masterpiece followed me home Author: ElyBoyLocation: Forest Lake Minnesota PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:51 pm
    ----
Here is the photo of the pistol

Last edited by ElyBoy on Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

-> General