Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2452
  · Views: 824054
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Cleaning the flash hole?
Discussion regarding the reloading of ammunition and tuning of loads for accuracy
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Handloader

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning the flash hole? Reply with quote

waumo wrote:
I used to tumble after resizing and decapping. For several years now I tumble before resizing and decapping. Doing it in this order eliminates the
primer hole plugging issue.

I use a primer pocket cleaner to clean the pimer pocket since it doesn't get cleaned during tumbling. It never got cleaned during tumbling when the primer was out either...

Ditto for me. OTOH I used a doll needle to poke out the bits of corn cobb when I deprimed prior to tumbling.

On another aspect of primer pockets I experimented with several bench rifles and match rifles and could find no difference in accuracy or SDs when cleaning or not clean primer pockets. It is my opinion that at some point the pockets will self clean excess debris. IOW, I have cases fired once that have the same amount of crud coming out as those that have been fired twenty times without any cleaning.

Further, while I like to remove any of the flash hole material that has been created by the punch method (Winchester/Remington for instance) the effect on accuracy is difficult to prove. I have two rifles that will aggregate .200 MOA with or without this process. Likewise for primer pocket depth standardization. Now, I still do that but I do it only because it makes me feel better.
Blaine

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning the flash hole? Reply with quote

I also remove excess from around punched primer holes for a couple of reasons. The first is obvious; I don't want any stray fragment to find its way into the flash hole. The second reason is that I weigh batch all my cases to the nearest 1/10 gr. I don't want that excess brass around the flash hole to mess up my weights. By removing it, all the cases start out on an equal footing.

Blaine

RPM1031

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning the flash hole? Reply with quote

Picked up a Lee pocket cleaner and a Lyman flash hole uniformer locally the end of last week. Used them on about 135 .45-70 and 100 .357 cases. Figure I can use the uniformer to clean the corn cob out the flash hole as well as uniforming. Have too much corn cob to switch to something else now.

I got a universal decapping die and did all the .38, .357, .270 & .45-70 shells first then cleaned them. The last batch of .45-70 cases I cleaned first then decapped and sized the cases. One less step. Switched to Imperial sizing wax from the RCBS stuff I first used. Didn't build up and cause the cases to buckle. It only takes a little plus very easy to clean up. Also started using mica in the Lyman neck brush set from Midway when expanding the case.

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning the flash hole? Reply with quote

RPM1031 wrote:
Duh! [/i] How many questions proving my stupidity can I ask in a matter of a couple of days? :

RPM1031, I reckon the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.
I have found the guys here to be extremely knowledgable and helpful. All in all, a damn fine bunch. If there is something you need to know I am sure that someone here will be more than happy to set you on the straight and narrow. This is the only place where I know that you can get good advice, gained through experience, from all around the world. WELL DONE GUYS.

I don't tumble my cases, nor do I clean the flash hole, but I do clean the primer pockets with a nifty little tool I bought out here in OZ. Having said that, prior to loading I check each flash hole on new brass for bits of crap left from manufacture and remove when found.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
RPM1031

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning the flash hole? Reply with quote

This is a great site. Been on others were someone is often fighting with someone else and some getting kicked off the site only to come back under a different name.

I think I saw in Lee's manual something about not seeing a benefit from cleaning the case? I don't know. Look better anyway. Thanks to all.

Bob

shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning the flash hole? Reply with quote

RPM1031 wrote:
This is a great site. Been on others were someone is often fighting with someone else and some getting kicked off the site only to come back under a different name.

I think I saw in Lee's manual something about not seeing a benefit from cleaning the case? I don't know. Look better anyway. Thanks to all.

Bob
There are a great bunch of guys here. A bunch of fellow sportsman who treat each other with respect the way it ought to be. I have seen other sites like you mentioned where people are rude to each other sporstman need to stick together. I don't no if the clean brass makes a dif or not but it sure is perrrty Very Happy

P E T A
People Eating Tasty Animals
RPM1031

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning the flash hole? Reply with quote

shrpshtrjoe wrote:
I don't no if the clean brass makes a dif or not but it sure is perrrty Very Happy

It certainly is!

calsibley

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning the flash hole? Reply with quote

The only attention I give to the primer pocket is to trim away any internal projection that's present in new cases. I look at my cases when they exit the tumbler and if they look dirty I simply wipe them out with a Q-tip. Rarely do they require more than that. At one time, when powders were dirty burning grit would cake around the primer pocket, but I haven't noticed it in recent years. Best wishes

Cal - Montreal
calsibley

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning the flash hole? Reply with quote

I have a little flash hole cleaner that I use if the pockets seem dirty. My major concern is with the primer pockets themselves. Our US manufacturers punch out the primer pockets instead of drilling them out as they do in Europe with Norma, Lapua and others. This results in internal metal projections that should be reamed out to ensure even ignition. It looks like the primer pocket cleaner shown above, but has a metal flange on the end that works well. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal
Spacedone

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning the flash hole? Reply with quote

im fairly new to reloading but i get great accuracy from my 20-30 per reload 303 brass. i mainly necksize use the same 100 rounds over and over until they fail.

from a bench i still get 1 inch or less groups at 100 yards.

i also inspect flash holes and only clean the ones that actually need cleaned.
rpounds
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning the flash hole? Reply with quote

Many years ago, when I was wanting to get started reloading, my brother gave me an old Lee Loader. You know, the kind where you have to use a plastic hammer to drive the case into the sizing die. Well, that kit came with a decapping tool. It is about 1/4" in diamter and has a decapping pin, similar to the more 'modern' dies that I use now a days. Anyhow, I use that old decapping device to clean stuff like tumbling media out of the flash holes. Works like a charm!! I like bushmaster's idea too. I suppose most anything the right diameter will work.

As far as this site goes, it truly is the best. I have only posted a couple of times, but I visit the site daily to see what banter is going on. People around here can tease each other, rag on each other a bit in good fun. I like that. It's like a big family where everyone respects one another. Most other forums don't have that kind of class. And although I don't chip in (I guess I'm kind of a freeloader), I truly appreciate the quality of this forum. Kudos to Dallan for letting us all hang out here!

Ron

sniper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning the flash hole? Reply with quote

I don't know what a piece of corncob media plugging the flash hole would do. Probably nothing good.
When I inspect the cases after tumbling, I remove any pieces with a dental pick. A toothpick would probably work as well.
Pretty is Good!
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning the flash hole? Reply with quote

Sniper...Go to page one (1) and read my post on flash hole and primer pocket cleaners...It seems that you missed it... wtf

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
squirrelbait

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Cleaning the flash hole? Reply with quote

Sniper, I tend to be with you. I don't clean the primer pockets or flash holes unless I see something. On 38s and 357s I tumble then resize. On 22 Hornet and 243 I tumble, resize and tumble again to clean lube off. I tend to kinda throw the brass a little from step to step to help dislodge any media that might be there. As long as I am getting .75 inch groups......I'm happy.
Coyote_Hunter_

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning the flash hole? Reply with quote

I use a very small Allen wrench.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition
Page 2 of 3