Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2452
  · Views: 824061
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

PB Patcher Problem ????
Help / Support / How-to's / Discussion related to PointBlank Software and External Ballistics in general
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » PointBlank Software

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tripledeuce
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: PB Patcher Problem ???? Reply with quote

I ran the PB Patcher with PB V2.0.8 on my computer. The Patcher downloaded V2.0.8.1 on my desktop with sixteen other files such as targets, powder, bullets, primers,cases, calipers, HTML, Example, and Template. Should this happen? Should the patcher just update my version?
If it doesn't update the existing version, and downloads the new version with its updates all my inputed info into the previous version needs to be somehow copied to the updated version. If it should be updating my previous version what is wrong and how to correct?

Thanks
DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: PB Patcher Problem ???? Reply with quote

It should overwrite any out of date file, with a newer version. This can include any of the files you listed.

I think I am misunderstanding your problem. Did it download the files into a place other than where the original place the patcher was run from?

-DallanC
tripledeuce
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: PB Patcher Problem ???? Reply with quote

The PB Patcher is not within Point Blank it is a seperate file on my desk top as is the Point blank software. This is how it downloaded . The PB Patcher and Point Blank are run from the desk top.
Ominivision1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: PB Patcher Problem ???? Reply with quote

I just checked my point blank installation and it's in a folder called C:\Documents and Settings\Ominivision1\Start Menu\Programs\Hunting\Point-Blank and from the start menu, I have a folder for point blank and just click on pb patcher to run it and it auto updates itself.

Like Dallan asked, what version of windows do you have?

Limitations are but boundaries created inside our minds.
DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: PB Patcher Problem ???? Reply with quote

tripledeuce wrote:
The PB Patcher is not within Point Blank it is a seperate file on my desk top as is the Point blank software. This is how it downloaded . The PB Patcher and Point Blank are run from the desk top.

Ah ok, create a folder... anywhere you want. Copy the PBPatcher.exe file into that folder. Now run it and it will pull down all necessary files to run PointBlank. It downloads all the files into whatever folder the patcher is in... if thats on your desktop, thats where they all go.

I have thought about creating an actual installer file, but the size would be many many times what the actual program is.

-DallanC
Ominivision1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: PB Patcher Problem ???? Reply with quote

DallanC wrote:
I have thought about creating an actual installer file, but the size would be many many times what the actual program is.
-DallanC

Dallan, I have already created a self installer using both INNO and Install Shield for windows. I have already passed them on to friends that use windows and it works great. And the size of the install program is less then 600k.

Limitations are but boundaries created inside our minds.
tripledeuce
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: PB Patcher Problem ???? Reply with quote

DallanC wrote:
tripledeuce wrote:

Ah ok, create a folder... anywhere you want. Copy the PBPatcher.exe file into that folder. Now run it and it will pull down all necessary files to run PointBlank. It downloads all the files into whatever folder the patcher is in... if thats on your desktop, thats where they all go.

-DallanC

Are the files that the pbpatcher downloads stand alone files or should they have been put in the pont blank program? I created a folder in programs with the pbpatcher then ran the pbpatcher and it put the pb program and fifteen seperate files into the pbpatcher folder. Should have the fifteen files been put into the point blank program,and not as stand alone files?? SHOULD THESE FILES HAVE UPDATED EXISTING FILES IN POINT BLANK?
DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: PB Patcher Problem ???? Reply with quote

The files are different and unique. they do not get integrated into the pointblank executable. PointBlank loads each file it needs individually, did it this way for several reasons, the main one being that rarely do many files change at the same time. This allows me to update select files allowing for smaller patching updates.

I know most people here use fast snazzy internet connections but we do have a significant number of users using dial up internet access. Having to patch 3 megs each time would take hours for them.

-DallanC
tripledeuce
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: PB Patcher Problem ???? Reply with quote

DallanC wrote:
The files are different and unique. they do not get integrated into the pointblank executable. PointBlank loads each file it needs individually, did it this way for several reasons, the main one being that rarely do many files change at the same time. This allows me to update select files allowing for smaller patching updates.

I know most people here use fast snazzy internet connections but we do have a significant number of users using dial up internet access. Having to patch 3 megs each time would take hours for them.

-DallanC

So what you are saying is that these files are not within PB. For example; when I click on add target then change target #2 ,PB gets target #2 from the seperate downloaded file of target #2 and brings it up in PB. The same is then true of the other seperately downloaded files, is this correct?
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » PointBlank Software
Page 1 of 1