No staff members are online!

Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Are we less than 5% of the muzzleloader hunters?
Hunting and discussion with Muzzle Loaders, Archery and other Primitive weapons

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gil Martin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Are we less than 5% of the muzzleloader hunters? Reply with quote

Folks,
In the October 2005 issue of "Outdoor Life" on page 78, Ralph Lermayer has an article, "A Fab Five of Muzzleloaders" where he describes five in-line arms. His lead paragraph says,"Before 1985, nearly all muzzleloader hunters carried traditional sidelock guns. Today, more than 95% of them pack in-lines."

I would like to see Mr. Lermayer's footnote on that "more than 95%" figure and have sent him an email requesting same. Here in PA in the October ML season "any Muzzleloader" is legal, but after Christmas until mid-January it is "Flintlocks Only."

At our club, I would say that in-lines make up 50-60% of the muzzleloaders on the firing line. Do we really make up less than 5% of the muzzleloader hunters? All the best...
Gil

Flint54

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: Are we less than 5% of the muzzleloader hunters? Reply with quote

I never had the chance to see or read the article. I have no doubt that a majority of "Muzzleloading" Hunters use in-lines but in the same breath I find it difficult to agree with his 5% figure for Traditional Muzzleloaders.

This year was the first year that I used an inline for hunting a "Muzzleloading only season". I used a CVA Hunter Bolt 209 Magnum, the reason for this was mainly ease of packing for a 18 day trip. This little shaver isn't much larger than my 10-22 with a heavy barrel so it was my choice over my .54 Flint with a 41" barrel. At least Minnesota requires open sights for their ML season. All of my other ML Season hunts are with traditional & I use my in-lines during the regular season many times.

I will say though that these in-lines are a lot slower to reload than a traditional any day of the year. Without a capper designed for them you have to have the fingers of a 6 year old!!
LittleMagnum

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Are we less than 5% of the muzzleloader hunters? Reply with quote

The states that allow inlines I would say 5% is right, however there is NO way, only 5% of PA muzzleloader hunter use Non-inlines !!!
But, with MOST states allowing inlines and muzzleloaders with scopes, that at some point in time they will get to that 5% number of the hunters. It all comes down to money, if the only way States can sell more Black powder/Muzzle loading licences, is to allow inline, most states will, it seems to be the trend.
DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Are we less than 5% of the muzzleloader hunters? Reply with quote

I see alot of people out here with sidelocks. 5% seems way low.

-Dallanc
Gil Martin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Are we less than 5% of the muzzleloader hunters? Reply with quote

Muzzleloader hunters in the Commonwealth do have a choice. The mid-October deer season is one week long and is antlerless only. Just about any muzzleloader is permitted and there are many in-lines in the woods. Next week, we start our two week flintlock-only deer season and it is buck or doe statewide. The local gun shops sell a bunch of flintlocks for this season. So I guess the number of traditional muzzleloader hunters varies from state to state. I agree that PA has to have more than 5 percent traditional muzzleloader hunters. We sell about one million regular hunting licenses a year and the muzzleloader hunters buy over 100,000 separate licenses. That alone is 10 percent. All the best...
Gil

popgun

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Are we less than 5% of the muzzleloader hunters? Reply with quote

I bet that he is basing the statement on current sales and not taking into consideration the 'Ole style black powder rifles that people already own.

Still I think that the new fangle rifles are catching on like a storm and it's doesn't make much difference what you tote into the woods as long as it's a legal firearm. I use both caplock and inline and enjoy them both. If I had a flintlock or matchlock I would surely take them in the woods too.

After all, we go into the woods to hunt not to have an argument about what type of 'primitive weapon' we carry. If you stuff it from the front and prime it from the rear what's the difference? You still don't know if you hit the target until the smoke clears.

Kind of like wearing buckskins in the woods and wearing a blaze orange vest. "They didn't used to do it that way did they?" Times change and so do our weapons. That tickles me because I don't throw out everything new or old but some things catch my eye and other things don't. That's personal preference and that is what we are all about.

I still don't have a crossbow, I prefer a bow, but might wind up with one because of a shoulder problem. There is a case of need over preference and that brings us back to muzzleloaders again.

What about the old folks that need scopes on their smokepole because their eyesight does not allow them to shoot accurately with open sights. That is an issue that the Georgia Legislature may decide this year. That is another case of non hunters deciding how hunters hunt and what they use. You can see the confusion of a non hunting legislator when he hears the hunters bicker among themself's over a personal preference or need issue.

View user's profile ICQ Number AIM Address MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
popgun

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Are we less than 5% of the muzzleloader hunters? Reply with quote

DallanC wrote:
I see alot of people out here with sidelocks. 5% seems way low.
-Dallanc

Let me relate what I saw at the WMA camp during this years Primitive Weapons hunt. In years past this hunt has always lured a 'traditional'
group of hunters from around the southeast. Flintlocks and caplocks were the rule in the WMA camp. This year the same guys were there and had their traditional firearms, but, many also had their in-lines with them. They were having fun shoots with the traditional guns, knife and hatchet throwing. When they went hunting they were taking the inlines to the woods. Herrasy! Treason! Shocked wtf

The traditional rifles used for hunting was much higher than 5% but in-lines were the weapon most used this year.

As for sales, look at any catalogs we use. Count the inlines then count the caplocks and flintlocks offered then figure the percentage of traditional to in-line.

View user's profile ICQ Number AIM Address MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
Crackshot

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Are we less than 5% of the muzzleloader hunters? Reply with quote

My shooting club has over 200 members and there are les than 6 side lock shooters! Sorry but I think popgun is on the mark!
Side locks or primitive rifles have gone out of favor because people refused to clean them properly and they misfired, they prefer inlines and BP substitute as the cleaning is easyer, they are better guns for lazy primitive shooters.
Snyper
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Are we less than 5% of the muzzleloader hunters? Reply with quote

I must be 100% I have 2 inlines and a sidelock too

roundball

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Are we less than 5% of the muzzleloader hunters? Reply with quote

I'm actually running a poll on this (on another forum) right now.

So far, it's running about 75% inlines, 25% traditional out of 26 response to date
Gil Martin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Are we less than 5% of the muzzleloader hunters? Reply with quote

Sounds about right with a 75%-25% split. All the best...
Gil

GroovyJack

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Are we less than 5% of the muzzleloader hunters? Reply with quote

We're all different , I dont know about percentages , but I see more in lines , but me , being , more of a traditionalist in all things .. Well it just aint right .. an inline that is ..
Jack

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Primitive Weapons Hunting
Page 1 of 1