Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

First Aid Kits?
Discussion that doesnt fit other Topics
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dimitri

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: First Aid Kits? Reply with quote

Anyone Carry a First Aid Kit as a "standard" item anywhere in the bush?

I seem to find they grow over time. And I was wondering your opinions on my choices for the supplies (I just restocked it yet again).

• 1x Waterproof Synthetic Tape 1" Wide
  • 1x 5x9" Sterile "thick sponge" Pad.
  • 2x 4"x4" Surgical Sponges
  • 1x Compression Bandage
  • 2x 4" Wide Gauze Rolls
  • 8x 3x2" Non-Adherent Pads
  • 1x Triangular Bandage w/ 2 Safety pins
  • 2x 2nd Skin Burn Pads
  • 4x 2x4" Large Band-Aids
  • 3x 2x3" 4-Legged Band-Aids
  • 4x Normal sized Band-Aids
  • 3x Safety Pins
  • 2x Benzal Towelettes
  • 1x 15g Tube Polysporin
  • 1x 25ml Tincture of Iodine 2.5%

The "Drugs"
  • Tylenol 1 w/codeine
  • Tylenol Flu
  • Imodium
  • Gravol

Not listed:
  • 1 pair Non-Latex Gloves
  • 1x Benzal Towelette.

What you think? Confused

Dimitri

gelandangan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: First Aid Kits? Reply with quote

Wow Mr. D.. how big is the pack?

On mine, I got
a couple of compression bandages 50mm x 1.75 meter,
a couple of band-aids
a tweezer
a little twist top vinegar (10ml) (is this twist top things called an ampoule?)
a little twist top eye drop (10ml)
a very small novelty size 30ml bottle of scotch (I hate scotch so I wont drink it)
a needle with some short nylon fishing thread on it (50cm)
4 Panadol Forte
and it all fit in a waterproof cigarette case, it used to fit and keep dry 30 cancer sticks in it.
But now it fits in my first aid kit Smile

Do - Not try!

gelandangan.weebly.com/
RePete

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: First Aid Kits? Reply with quote

Looks good to me.

If you have the room, I suggest 1 or 2 Iodine scrubs as an addition.

Stercus Accidit = Sh*t Happens in Latin.

Nice try = You Suck spelled different.

My parents spanked me as a child. As a result, I now suffer from a psychological condition known as RESPECT FOR OTHERS.
10spotterminator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: First Aid Kits? Reply with quote

If you tend to get well out in the woods would recommend a special needle for applying stitches and suture thread, a barbless octopus style fishing hook and some spiderwire braided line will work too . Team this with a couple of the individually packaged alcohol towelettes and you will have a chance at saving yourself from the more serious "AW CRAP" things that can happen . Had to use it on my partner many years ago and wouldnt think of being without it . I have a small comfortable day pack that goes with me in the field with survival gear stuff and in it is 2 rolls of ace bandage for sprained ankles and knees. These have come in handy more than once for me and my partners. A small bundle of strong cord goes with me as well. Had to isolate a blown knee on a guy once making him a field splint and a crutch, cant do it without cord or rope . We were able to get out of the woods in a day. The alternatives were unthinkable. Things like tweezers, Q-tips and eyewash are frequent good friends to have along as well .
Dimitri

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: First Aid Kits? Reply with quote

Gelan,

Just sized to all fit inside the plastic insert and the more basic "ouch" stuff outside in a Individual First Aid Kit.

www.vietnamgear.com/Im...rstAid.jpg

RePete,

Good idea but I got very little room to spare. Sad

10spotterminator,

I got rope in my pack anyways, this is a multi-use item so its not carried in 10 different spots on me. Smile

As for sewing someone shut, well the one and only time I had to deal with a wound that needed stitching I managed to seal it off just fine without sewing it and even stop the bleeding. The doctors at the hospital thought I did a very good job for a non medical type (didn't get my Standard First Aid till after the fact and even then I disagreed with a few of the suggestions in the class but thats another story). Very Happy

Dimitri

ripper007

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: First Aid Kits? Reply with quote

I bought a first aid kit from walmart. the one I bought was about $12.00.
just checked and they have one that looks good.
good investment to keep around the house, in the car and one to take along when camping,fishing and what ever else.

Willson General Purpose First Aid Kit
$19.78

Features & Specifications

This general first aid kit is a must-have for the household, workshop and recreational areas. A sturdy plastic case with weather-resistant gasket contains a wide variety of items for basic and more severe injuries. Keep one in the house and one in each car so you're always prepared.

Willson General Purpose First Aid Kit:

* Sturdy plastic case with weather-resistant gasket
* Instant ice pack
* 4 gauze pads, 3" x 3"
* 30 antiseptic wipes
* 16 adhesive strips, 1" x 3"
* 5 extra-large adhesive strips
* 6 burn cream packets
* 5 yd. stretch gauze bandage, 2"
* 4 knuckle bandages
* 5 fingertip bandages
* 1 triangular bandage, 40"
* 1 large wound pad, 5" x 9"
* 1 pair tweezers
* 1 pair scissors
* 4 gloves
* Includes first aid guide
* Model# RWS-50002

Product in Inches (L x W x H): 3.25 x 8.25 x 5.75

www.walmart.com/catalo...id=5601903

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:54 am    Post subject: Re: First Aid Kits? Reply with quote

First Aid Kit...like a Survival Kit, the list of goodies that you can put into one is almost endless. The items you will find in any First Aid Kit will vary according to the level of medical training/knowledge the individual has attained. The more training, usually the more techo/medico type items in there.

I usually carry:

*a few bandaids,
*a small bottle of Betadine (Iodine),
*a few alcohol swabs,
*some paracetamol (10),
*paracetamol with codeine (10),
*1 elastic bandage...and that's it.

If I need to "fix" a nasty cut, then I have Steri Strips in my car First Aid kit. Another useful addition to a first aid kit is a small tube of Super Glue...great for sticking the edges of a cut together..as well as fingers together, knives to tables, butt cheeks together or to anything else (don't laugh...seen it happen).

I figure that if I need a full blown Medical Kit, then I have my mobile phone to call for help. I also have a buddy with me who can do the same.

I usually have some sort of cord or rope with me when hunting...but even if I didn't, and I needed to immobilise a fracture then there are many ways of tying splints on, even if it means plaiting grass or vines...no only joking...strips of clothing torn up etc will do the job nicely.

I learnt most of my First Aid whilst in the Army. You make use of what you have on hand and always be prepared to compromise...bearing in mind the comfort and safety of the patient is uppermost in your mind. I did however carry a fairly comprehensive Med Kit that would deal with pretty much any situation that didn't need a Doctor that very second.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
RePete

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: First Aid Kits? Reply with quote

Vince wrote:
First Aid Kit...like a Survival Kit, the list of goodies that you can put into one is almost endless. The items you will find in any First Aid Kit will vary according to the level of medical training/knowledge the individual has attained. The more training, usually the more techo/medico type items in there.

I usually carry:

*a few bandaids,
*a small bottle of Betadine (Iodine),
*a few alcohol swabs,
*some paracetamol (10),
*paracetamol with codeine (10),
*1 elastic bandage...and that's it.

If I need to "fix" a nasty cut, then I have Steri Strips in my car First Aid kit. Another useful addition to a first aid kit is a small tube of Super Glue...great for sticking the edges of a cut together..as well as fingers together, knives to tables, butt cheeks together or to anything else (don't laugh...seen it happen).

I figure that if I need a full blown Medical Kit, then I have my mobile phone to call for help. I also have a buddy with me who can do the same.

I usually have some sort of cord or rope with me when hunting...but even if I didn't, and I needed to immobilise a fracture then there are many ways of tying splints on, even if it means plaiting grass or vines...no only joking...strips of clothing torn up etc will do the job nicely.

I learnt most of my First Aid whilst in the Army. You make use of what you have on hand and always be prepared to compromise...bearing in mind the comfort and safety of the patient is uppermost in your mind. I did however carry a fairly comprehensive Med Kit that would deal with pretty much any situation that didn't need a Doctor that very second.

Cheers, Vince

A quick translation for the North Americans.

Plaiting = braiding.

My parents spanked me as a child. As a result, I now suffer from a psychological condition known as RESPECT FOR OTHERS.
BigBlue

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: First Aid Kits? Reply with quote

Here's my list. It's pretty much a standard Boy Scout personal first aid kit.

-Personal medications
-10 pain relievers (Ibuprofen)
-10 assorted adhesive bandages (Band-Aids®)
-Moleskin (6 square inches)
-3 sterile gauze compresses (3" X 3")
-Cotton adhesive tape (1" wide roll)
-Antibiotic ointment (1 small tube of about 1/8 oz.)
-Elastic bandage (Ace type, 2" wide roll)
-1" roller bandage (prefer 5' to 6' strip of clean cloth material)
-Triangular bandage (can be made from old sheet with 30" on the short side and has many uses)
-6 to 8 butterfly bandages
-cotton balls
-Tweezers
-Needle and thread
-small bar of soap
-a few hard candies

Don
lesterg3

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: First Aid Kits? Reply with quote

I haven't carried a kit recently, because I'm hunting within a half mile of my cabin.

When I used to backpack in for hunting or just for being deep in the woods, this is what I carried in a 10x4 waist pack. It was a tight fit, and I only carried the Epinephrine, and Chlortrimeton if someone was with me who had allergies.

1 small pair of folding scissors
1 pair of tweezers
1 self-adhesive wrap
4 safety pins
1 small box of cotton swabs
10 alcohol based moist towelettes
1 lighter and tube of waterproof matches
1 small bottle of hand sanitizer (alcohol-base)
1 small tube of petroleum jelly
1 2x4 mirror
1 small magnifying glass
10 small fish hooks with a ball of light line
1 pack curved sewing needles, and silk thread
Assorted size Band-Aids
3 medium gauze pads
3 large gauze pads
2 rolls of gauze
2 medium size non-stick bandage pads
2 rolls of 3/4" first aid tape, waterproof
2 eye pads
1 small bottle of Acetaminophen (Tylenol)
1 small bottle of Ibuprofen (Advil)
1 small bottle morphine, (Dr’s prescription)
10 sinus/nasal decongestant tablets (Sudafed)
10 throat lozenges
10 anti-diarrhea tablets (Imodium)
10 stomach relief tablets (Pepto-Bismol)
1 small tube of hydro-cortisone ointment
1 small tube of antibiotic ointment
1 small tube of analgesic cream
1 small bottle of insect sting or bite relief
1 syringe of Epinephrine
4 tabs chewable Chlortrimeton
1 bottle of eye drops
3 pairs of latex gloves
1 small package of moleskin for blisters
2 feminine hygiene pads for emergency bandages
2 2” rolls of elastic bandages
1 Large piece of cloth suitable for making an arm sling
1 space blanket
1 small waterproof first aid manual

I did not carry water treatment or iodine tabs, because I used a small pump water purification system.

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. -- Thomas Jefferson

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."--James Madison

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson.

NRA Life Member
Vietnam War Vet 68-69
TRBLSHTR

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: First Aid Kits? Reply with quote

In addition to the regular stuff I carry liquid bandage,super glue,couple of kotex(field compresses),and oxycodone tablets.No-I don't have a drug habit!Gunshot wounds hurt! wtf

gelandangan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: First Aid Kits? Reply with quote

TRBLSHTR wrote:
In addition to the regular stuff I carry liquid bandage,super glue,couple of kotex(field compresses),and oxycodone tablets.No-I don't have a drug habit!Gunshot wounds hurt! wtf

Been thinking about adding a couple of tampons in the kit too.. they are cotton and I believe could be of use, but being highly compressed stuff, I worry if they are not easy to use in emergency.

Do - Not try!

gelandangan.weebly.com/
Dimitri

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: First Aid Kits? Reply with quote

Why not just get real compression bandages that are atleast sterile?

Edit: Unless you plan stuffing the wound with it, in which case I suggest you don't. Seems like a good idea to most people I know but you will make it harder on yourself to apply direct and constant pressure on the wound.

Remember 10 minutes of direct pressure will stop the bleeding, by closing the blood vessels, will also allow the blood enough time to seal the wound on its own and it will be easy to deal with by the doctors at the ER afterwords.

Any stuffing of the wound should be avoided, yes I know there are plenty of the products on the market to do just that. But it is not necessary the best thing. Especially once you get to the ER and they will have to start cutting out meat/flesh of the person to get the padding which is all stuck in the wound now out.

Dimitri

Last edited by Dimitri on Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
RePete

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: First Aid Kits? Reply with quote

Dimitri wrote:
Why not just get real compression bandages that are atleast sterile?

Dimitri

Actaully Kotex Pads, the big hammock style were the ones that we had in the British and Canadian Army. They are more absorbant than the field dressing plus they were individually wrapped and as sterile as a field dressing.

Dimitri

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: First Aid Kits? Reply with quote

Repete,

I am referring more to the tampon style then the pad style I can see the pads to be of use. Smile What can I say most women I know use the tampons not the pads so I think of them first. Wink

Dimitri

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General
Page 1 of 1